Search Results for 'code'
-
AuthorSearch Results
-
June 8, 2013 at 6:13 am #134878
In reply to: bbpress and child theme
Shmoo
ParticipantWell to now what file you have to get isn’t really that difficult, you just need a little understanding of what files will be loaded when view a specific page.
This is a good sheet to show you the logic, but it can be difficult te read.
https://codex.wordpress.org/File:Template_Hierarchy.pngThis one explains in my opinion much better whats going.
But it’s not too difficult, lets say you’re on the homepage of your website.
Often the index.php is need to start. If you open the index.php you see at the top something like this<?php get_header(); ?>the funny thing about PHP is that you can alsmost read-/understand what it is going to do. Like the code tag above says get_header so on that position it will grab the header.php file and open it. Keep following all those files and you will be okay.
Think of it as LEGO – building blocks – it needs a few blocks to make a house and a webpage is the house.—
For the forum (bbPress) side I can tell you that the homepage of the forum is the page where it shows all forums & categories. This is called an archive page and not a regular page.php what most people would think when they first start.
Normally if it’s an archive page WordPress would load the archive.php template but because we have a Post_Type created by bbPress called Forum we can add the Post_Type_Name behind the archive.php – like this: archive-forum.phpWhen you copy that archive-forum.php file form your extra’s (plugins) folder to your Theme folder and open it you will again see the
<?php get_header(); ?>stuff and all other typically WordPress stuff.To remove the sidebar of the main forum-page you just go into that archive-forum.php template and delete the code that called the sidebar:
<?php get_sidebar(); ?>
Just like the header it’s telling you what it does -> GET Sidebar ( load the sidebar files )It’s really just trying and not being afraid. Them ore you do it the better you get at it.
*** Never try to edit files on a working website – online ***
Install WordPress + your website on your computer locally, get a code editor – edit the files and check if everything is working. When your finished editing and everything is Fonzy cool you can upload and overwrite the files at your online-server.
You know how I got my start (years ago) while not knowing what files to edit – By just opening some files I thought could be the files I needed. Typing 55555555555 or something else inside the file – Save it – reload the page in the browser and if 55555555555 didn’t show-up on the webpage I knew it wasn’t that template I was looking for and kept searching for the right one.
Don’t be afraid to make mistakes… You gonna make some trust me, but when you have a back-up file or you can simply undo your edit inside the Code-editor ( CMD + Z ) you’re all fine.
June 8, 2013 at 5:40 am #134877In reply to: Making Topics and Replies Takes So Long
Shmoo
ParticipantTry to install some Debug plugins they will give you some answers about why things take so long to load.
https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress
– at the bottom is a list of good plugins.June 8, 2013 at 5:37 am #134876In reply to: Image upload
Shmoo
ParticipantThere is an option but it’s so WordPress. (half done)
This will add a WP Media upload button above the form.
<?php bbp_the_content( array( 'context' => 'topic', 'media_buttons' => true, ) ); ?>June 8, 2013 at 5:26 am #134875In reply to: Why is TinyMCE totally disabled ??
Shmoo
ParticipantJune 8, 2013 at 12:53 am #134872In reply to: Get User's WordPress Role
tommysvr
ParticipantAlternatively, if I could show a user_meta field for each post, that would work too. I’m struggling with the code below too.
global $current_user; get_currentuserinfo(); get_user_meta($current_user->ID, 'membership', true);June 8, 2013 at 12:50 am #134871Topic: Get User's WordPress Role
in forum Troubleshootingtommysvr
ParticipantHi all,
I have a little issue since bbPress switched to its own user roles. I was previously showing an image under a users avatar based on this role (ie admin, subscriber).
With the new method, it just shows the bbPress role of participant or key master. This is a problem because my registration forms put the user in WordPress role.
My question is this: is there a way to output the WordPress role rather than the bbPress role? Here is what I’m using at the moment:
$role = bbp_get_user_display_role(bbp_get_reply_author_id($reply_id));<div class="bbp-reply-author <?php echo $role; ?>">Any help is greatly appreciated!
June 7, 2013 at 10:33 am #134856In reply to: Is this the correct url structure?
Shmoo
ParticipantYou probably have a misunderstanding of the word Forum and Forums it happens a lot.
A Forum is a common name for a support forum like we have at WordPress of bbPress or any other website online. They all call the page Forum or Support or Community.
But a Forum can also be ONE single item like a category inside other Forums. Thats why the landing-page you’re looking for is: yourwebiste.com/forums/ ( list all forums together )But you can make your own landing-page by going into WordPress backend and Add a New Page + paste one of those Shortcodes to make it more easy.
https://codex.bbpress.org/shortcodes/June 7, 2013 at 3:45 am #134848Topic: Errant space in reply widget
in forum Troubleshootingfencer_x
ParticipantBecause it was an eyesore, I display:none’d the avatars on the reply widget in my sidebar to keep them from displaying and have replies simply show up as a list of “AUTHOR on TOPIC”. However, it seems that there was a non-breaking-space included somewhere AFTER the avatar and before the author, and it’s still there because it’s hardcoded in somewhere.
It looks more than a little odd, and I’d like to remove it if possible. Anyone know where I might find it? I’ve found the recent replies widget code in widgets.php, but I can’t figure out where this space is coming from.
June 6, 2013 at 8:56 pm #134844Topic: Change author
in forum TroubleshootingSickSquirrelTwo
ParticipantI wanted to edit a post by my coder but it saved as he being poster.
How do I edit author/poster?
June 6, 2013 at 1:14 pm #134837In reply to: iPhone: Dont see submit button
Shmoo
ParticipantYes, but try using a Webkit browser on your PC or Mac ( Chrome or Safari are Webkit based )
Scale your browser-window down to iPhone size and try to spot at what size things start going wrong -layout wise.
Just before things start going wrong you Right-click at the page where things go wrong and pick the ‘Inspect Element’ option to see the code. It really helps a lot.
June 6, 2013 at 12:53 pm #134835Topic: bbp_breadcrumbs – include_current
in forum TroubleshootingShmoo
ParticipantWhy does example #1 work just fine but example #2 doesn’t ?
#1
<?php bbp_breadcrumb( array( 'include_home' => false ) ); ?>#2
<?php bbp_breadcrumb( array( 'include_current' => false ) ); ?>June 5, 2013 at 5:03 am #134810Unsal Korkmaz
ParticipantSadly lots of planned featured needed to remove from FirmaSite theme because of theme rules in WordPress.Org theme system:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_ReviewI really was disappointed when i learn that most of stuff needed to remove but now i can understand their logic. While i dont agree those rules, i respect them.
All social integration (Facebook like,comments etc) is removed from theme because of WordPress.Org rules. They decide that some planned features are plugin territory. So i built a plugin for theme:
http://theme.firmasite.com/plugin/ or
https://wordpress.org/plugins/firmasite-theme-enhancer/This plugin will add all those social integration soon. Sorry for misinformation on theme site.
June 5, 2013 at 1:26 am #134806Etan Rozin
ParticipantThanks. That fixed it.
(the example in the link has a code error, but by removing the escaping all works fine).I had another question. The feature list mentions facebook comments (the ability to add or remove them). How is this done, I could not find it in the interface.
Thanks
Etan
June 4, 2013 at 8:01 pm #134800In reply to: Remove search bar
Pippin Williamson
ParticipantThere’s no reason to place this in your functions.php instead of as a plugin. It is the exact same code that gets executed, except as a plugin it is easier to maintain.
June 4, 2013 at 6:12 pm #134799In reply to: No bbpress themes folder?
Edie Sellers
ParticipantOkay, but I thought in order to remove the sidebar from your forum (i.e.: a full-page forum) you need to be working in “themes” not “templates.”
Let me be more to the point. I have a website with a custom WP theme, (http://www.gamehounds.net/).
I want to intgrate bbPress forums under the tab “Forum.” I want the bbPress forums to be full-screen without the sidebars, but of course I want to keep the sidebar in the rest of my site.
After a LOT of reading… including your wonderful thread that says Never Modify bbPress core files, I built a child theme and activated it.
But when I go to where says to in order to put my bbPress theme into my child-theme file, there is no “themes” folder.
I do have a “templates” folder, but it doesn’t seem to have any information for themes where it instructs to “get sidebar,” which from what I read is the thing that I want to “//”.
Does this make sense at all? Again, apologies for being kind of numbskully about this. I’m really just hacking around in the dark and learning as I go.
June 4, 2013 at 4:10 pm #134795Etan Rozin
ParticipantHi.
Using FirmaSite and liking it a lot.
I do have a problem though.
Anytime a member leaves another member a comment on his profile, it shows up as html code
Any idea how I can solve this? It is really ruining an excellent presentation otherwise.
ThanksJune 4, 2013 at 2:28 pm #134793In reply to: Anonymous Even Though Logged In
John James Jacoby
Keymasterhttps://bbpress.org/login/ submits data directly to https://bbpress.org/wp-login.php – they use the exact same code to process your login. Sounds likely that there’s a cookie somewhere in your browser’s cache that’s being stubborn.
Happy you found a solution that works for you, and sorry you’re having trouble.
June 4, 2013 at 12:50 pm #134788In reply to: Remove search bar
NerdEnPose
ParticipantThis is the basic code. There’s plugins to do it but I prefer to put this in my functions.php
add_action('init', 'remove_admin_bar'); function remove_admin_bar() { show_admin_bar(false); }However I prefer to only remove it if the user isn’t logged in:
add_action('init', 'remove_admin_bar'); function remove_admin_bar() { if (!is_user_logged_in()) { show_admin_bar(false); } }Or if you prefer to limit by user roles and editing capabilities.
function remove_admin_bar() { if (!current_user_can('administrator')) { show_admin_bar(false); } }FYI: There’s a pretty popular search result recommending this for role check:
add_action('init', 'remove_admin_bar'); function remove_admin_bar() { if (!current_user_can('administrator') && !is_admin()) { show_admin_bar(false); } }This would check to see if the user is in the admin portion in which case you’d show the bar as well.
June 4, 2013 at 12:14 pm #134787aaronVm
ParticipantI have the same problem…please help!
June 4, 2013 at 12:06 pm #134786In reply to: Removing the Status Bar in Forums
NerdEnPose
ParticipantI’m using 2.3.2 and this is my solution.
There’s a function in the theme files calling this, simply noting it out or deleting it prevents the call.
// bbp_single_topic_description();
content-single-topic.phpand
// bbp_single_topic_description( array( 'topic_id' => bbp_get_topic_id() ) );
form-topic.phpThis makes more sense to me because why generate the HTML just to bloat your CSS file to hide it? Or why add more to your functions.php file when all you need to do is some basic theme work? (Although that was some clever hacking of the wordpress/bbpress hooks there mindyjoy :))
*Make sure to move all your theme files into your wordpress theme (wp-includes/themes/your_theme/buddypress/) so you don’t lose your work with an upgrade.
June 4, 2013 at 11:51 am #134784In reply to: No bbpress themes folder?
John James Jacoby
KeymasterNot sure where you’re getting your info, but it’s not correct. 🙂
bbPress uses your existing WordPress theme, and allows you to customize the individual templates as you see fit. You can copy the template files you want to customize out of:
wp-content/plugins/bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/
and drop them in…
wp-content/themes/YOUR_ACTIVE_THEME/bbpress/
where YOUR_ACTIVE_THEME is the name of the currently active theme on your site.Then start editing them, and you should see your edits come through.
June 4, 2013 at 11:37 am #134782John James Jacoby
KeymasterIn bbPress’s default configuration, this is by design to support styling for widgets, which can exist outside of bbPress’s standard page views. You’ll need to write a custom plugin to dequeue bbPress’s CSS when
! is_bbpress().June 3, 2013 at 8:59 pm #134772In reply to: Russian localization for bbPress2.0.2 finished!
krioteh
ParticipantbbPress на русском (bbPress on Russian)
Please, if you want to get support in Russian, visit the official Russian support forum.
Пожалуйста, если вы хотите получить поддержку на русском языке, посетите официальный русскоязычный форум поддержки.
June 3, 2013 at 6:40 am #134758In reply to: How to remove Editor stylesheet ?
Shmoo
ParticipantJust to show the people who can code..
This is what I would like to do with a little bit of CSS and JS without adding my own <textarea> and BBcode buttons.
The default toolbar buttons are positioned at the top of the <textarea> and with a little bit of JS I can hide it by default and let it pop-up when text inside the <textarea> is selected.
Right now I have to delete everything thats default and create my own <textarea> + BBcode buttons.June 3, 2013 at 2:52 am #134753In reply to: Change the default Forums page
Robin W
ModeratorGreat method Schmoo!
You can also create a page called “forums”, put your text there, and then add the shortcode
[bbp-forum-indexx]
but with only one x – sorry but even with code ticks the forum interprets this code, so cannot put it in exactly!
by the way the page doesn’t appear as an edit option in the toolbar, so you have to edit it via the dashboard, but that is how I achieved it.
-
AuthorSearch Results
