Well using a replies templates as comments to blog posts is a feature for bbPress 2.7 I believe but if that feature is really key you should either [1] code it yourself or [2] look elsewhere cause waiting for 2.7 won’t be worth your time. The bbPress 2.7 release is at least one year away based on the current average development of bbPress.
From the other point of view, bbPress is the most easy to use forum software when it comes to making changes or altering the frontend layout when you have some WordPress experience.
I mean, I customizing the frontend of a ‘forum’ is what rocks my boat I never understand why people would use one of those most populair forum scripts out there and in the end have a forum that looks like a FORUM and completely different from the rest of the site layout. I always like it when everything, site, shop, forum and whatnot looks and feels the same as the general site.. I never create forums for mega large websites or sites that are driven by communities from the early days when you simply had to install a forum script to create a so called community. There are far better systems out there that just do that. Create communities and interaction with users – you don’t need a forum for that. Forums nowadays are generally for support only.
Your MacRumors example is a site that was created 300 years ago based on a forum system to interact with users. Now they are bloated have to hide mega lots of content to fit your mobile screen else the site would load 12min a page.
Myself I was making a bbPress forum today with a subject called ‘Apple support’. Just for fun not a real project. It’s just fun how easily you can alter bbPress templates and create something frontend that you didn’t know was a forum script.
This example is my Forums index page.
iPad

iPhone

*still work in progress..
I am making a new website for a parent group which would use a forum in its core design. The site would consist of a main page with a blog which has comments that are tied to a forum topic. Similar to something like http://www.macrumors.com/. It would also have custom permission levels beyond the generic moderator, sub, and admin roles via plugins, and be locked with access codes. We are also planning on making a custom App for iOS and Android, or maybe even Windows using core tools like Xcode and Android Studio, Visual Studio, or Xamarin down the line. Right now I am trying to decide on what would be the best foundation for our site. Does bbPress have some sort of API that we could use, or do we need to look elsewhere?
If I view the source code, the copy that is usually rendered by these lines of code:
$retstr = sprintf( esc_html__( 'This topic contains %1$s, has %2$s, and was last updated by %3$s %4$s.', 'bbpress' ), $reply_count, $voice_count, $last_updated_by, $time_since );
is displaying but it seems that %1$s and %2$s isn’t pulling any data through, but %3$s %4$s is.
@robkk , thanks for everything. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to read my ideas and such. The BuddyPress and WordPress community does not seem to notice my suggestions.
Your summary is right. However, when I say “topic auto-suggestion”, I am referring to the “bbPress Live Topic Suggestions” plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpress-auto-suggest-topics-based-on-new-topic-title/).
1. As for the oEmbed cache code that I use, the code is below. This is not a real fix/solution since I remove/disable auto-embedding and three shortcodes. Basically, I am making it impossible for oEmbed cache to form.
remove_filter('the_content',array($GLOBALS['wp_embed'],'autoembed'),8);
remove_shortcode('audio');
remove_shortcode('video');
remove_shortcode('playlist');
By the way, the BBPress developers may want to consider designing the “bbp-topic-description” to look similar to the code below. I use that format on my website; the code snippet below was taken from http://dcjtech.info/topic/directx-introduction/ . The below code uses Microdata (like Hentry/Hatom and others) and is used by many search engines.
<p class="bbp-topic-description">This topic was published by <em><span class="p-author h-card fn author post-author" itemprop="author">DevynCJohnson</span></em> and viewed 201 times since "<time itemprop="datePublished" class="dt-published published entry-date uploaded" datetime="2015-07-28">July 28, 2015 @ 06:00UTC</time>".</p>
The BBPress developers are more than welcome to ask me for code or ask how I created/added some particular feature.
Hi,
I am making a shortcode for bbpress use profile and here is the function
add_shortcode('myprofile', 'show_bb_profile');
function show_bb_profile() {
ob_start() ?>
<?php do_action( 'bbp_template_before_user_details' ); ?>
<div id="bbp-single-user-details">
<div id="bbp-user-avatar">
<span class='vcard'>
<a class="url fn n" href="<?php bbp_user_profile_url( get_current_user_id()); ?>" title="<?php bbp_displayed_user_field( 'display_name' ); ?>" rel="me">
<?php echo get_avatar( bbp_get_displayed_user_field( 'user_email', 'raw' ), apply_filters( 'bbp_single_user_details_avatar_size', 150 ) ); ?>
</a>
</span>
</div><!-- #author-avatar -->
<div id="bbp-user-navigation">
<ul>
<li class="<?php if ( bbp_is_single_user_profile() ) :?>current<?php endif; ?>">
<span class="vcard bbp-user-profile-link">
<a class="url fn n" href="<?php bbp_user_profile_url( get_current_user_id()); ?>" title="<?php printf( esc_attr__( "%s's Profile", 'bbpress' ), bbp_get_displayed_user_field( 'display_name' ) ); ?>" rel="me"><?php _e( 'Profile', 'bbpress' ); ?></a>
</span>
</li>
<li class="<?php if ( bbp_is_single_user_topics() ) :?>current<?php endif; ?>">
<span class='bbp-user-topics-created-link'>
<a href="<?php bbp_user_topics_created_url(); ?>" title="<?php printf( esc_attr__( "%s's Topics Started", 'bbpress' ), bbp_get_displayed_user_field( 'display_name' ) ); ?>"><?php _e( 'Topics Started', 'bbpress' ); ?></a>
</span>
</li>
<li class="<?php if ( bbp_is_single_user_replies() ) :?>current<?php endif; ?>">
<span class='bbp-user-replies-created-link'>
<a href="<?php bbp_user_replies_created_url(); ?>" title="<?php printf( esc_attr__( "%s's Replies Created", 'bbpress' ), bbp_get_displayed_user_field( 'display_name' ) ); ?>"><?php _e( 'Replies Created', 'bbpress' ); ?></a>
</span>
</li>
<?php if ( bbp_is_favorites_active() ) : ?>
<li class="<?php if ( bbp_is_favorites() ) :?>current<?php endif; ?>">
<span class="bbp-user-favorites-link">
<a href="<?php bbp_favorites_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php printf( esc_attr__( "%s's Favorites", 'bbpress' ), bbp_get_displayed_user_field( 'display_name' ) ); ?>"><?php _e( 'Favorites', 'bbpress' ); ?></a>
</span>
</li>
<?php endif; ?>
<?php if ( bbp_is_user_home() || current_user_can( 'edit_users' ) ) : ?>
<?php if ( bbp_is_subscriptions_active() ) : ?>
<li class="<?php if ( bbp_is_subscriptions() ) :?>current<?php endif; ?>">
<span class="bbp-user-subscriptions-link">
<a href="<?php bbp_subscriptions_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php printf( esc_attr__( "%s's Subscriptions", 'bbpress' ), bbp_get_displayed_user_field( 'display_name' ) ); ?>"><?php _e( 'Subscriptions', 'bbpress' ); ?></a>
</span>
</li>
<?php endif; ?>
<li class="<?php if ( bbp_is_single_user_edit() ) :?>current<?php endif; ?>">
<span class="bbp-user-edit-link">
<a href="<?php bbp_user_profile_edit_url( get_current_user_id()); ?>" title="<?php printf( esc_attr__( "Edit %s's Profile", 'bbpress' ), bbp_get_displayed_user_field( 'display_name' ) ); ?>"><?php _e( 'Edit', 'bbpress' ); ?></a>
</span>
</li>
<?php endif; ?>
</ul>
</div><!-- #bbp-user-navigation -->
</div><!-- #bbp-single-user-details -->
<?php do_action( 'bbp_template_after_user_details' ); ?>
<?php
$output = ob_get_contents();
ob_end_clean();
return $output;
}
However, I am able to get the profile link for a user by this template tag get_current_user_id()
but how what is the template tag for a user to his replies & topics.
Thanks in advance
This codes does allow both admin and normal user to search for both wp and forum contents fine.
However normal user with no permission to certain forum could search for those articles in hidden forum too! and they could view the full fine from click link on search results, this is privacy alert!
Hi
we run WP 4.3 and bbpress 2.5.8
This codes does allow both admin and normal user to search for both wp and forum contents fine.
However normal user with no permission to certain forum could search for those articles in hidden forum too! and they could view the full fine from click link on search results, this is privacy alert!
Put this in your functions.php file in your child theme or place this php code snippet in a plugin like functionality.
add_filter( 'bbp_get_single_forum_description', 'ja_return_blank' );
add_filter( 'bbp_get_single_topic_description', 'ja_return_blank' );
function ja_return_blank() {
return '';
}
Try some troubleshooting to see if it could be a plugin issue.
Troubleshooting
The user ID is created automatically. There might be something that might help you out like Reveal IDs plugin that will show the ID of each registered user on your site. I cannot find anything that will help you find the 1000th user easily yet. I might find a plugin/code snippet later today that might help.
the patch might not be created right. I don’t think you create the patch from the plugin version but maybe the latest alpha version or the latest version you can download from the trunk using SVN.
You can download/download using SVN using the url from here.
Download
Are you sure how you inserted the filter will not cause any issues?
I am specifically talking about how $blacklist = both of these.
$blacklist = trim( get_option( 'moderation_keys' ) );
$blacklist = apply_filters('bbp_moderation_keys', $blacklist);
Here are a bunch of helpful guides that I am just going to drop here.
Working With Patches
Installing Via SVN
Try some troubleshooting to see if it is a plugin or theme issue.
Troubleshooting
Also know that the visual editor was not activated by default because it started having issues. So it might be better to just use the quicktags toolbar.
Please explain on the formatting issue.
Hello, the shortcode [bbp-forum-form] force to choose a parent forum. No Parent option is not working. Either we allow the final user (not me) to accedd WP admin… or have to change forum structore. Any way to avoid this?
Thanks in advance!
Jorge
Thanks you Robert.S
Where do i have to put this code ?
Thanks so much Robkk.
I’ll take a look at those files, and see if any plugins might do the trick.
I am using some custom code I found *somewhere* (!! maybe here haha??) to include Forum results in general WordPress Search results, which works well enough, but of course this is from a site-search, not the BBPress search function.
Here it is in case anyone else stumbles across this thread and wants to extend WordPress searches to include Forum results (without adding a plugin):
/**
* Include bbPress 'topic' custom post type in WordPress' search results */
function ntwb_bbp_topic_cpt_search( $topic_search ) {
$topic_search['exclude_from_search'] = false;
return $topic_search;
}
add_filter( 'bbp_register_topic_post_type', 'ntwb_bbp_topic_cpt_search' );
/**
* Include bbPress 'forum' custom post type in WordPress' search results */
function ntwb_bbp_forum_cpt_search( $forum_search ) {
$forum_search['exclude_from_search'] = false;
return $forum_search;
}
add_filter( 'bbp_register_forum_post_type', 'ntwb_bbp_forum_cpt_search' );
/**
* Include bbPress 'reply' custom post type in WordPress' search results */
function ntwb_bbp_reply_cpt_search( $reply_search ) {
$reply_search['exclude_from_search'] = false;
return $reply_search;
}
add_filter( 'bbp_register_reply_post_type', 'ntwb_bbp_reply_cpt_search' );
@devyncjohnson
1. Well yeah the cache staying not removing is the issue, it could be a bug in WordPress itself since that caches the oembeds. What peice of code did you use to fix this?
12. I couldn’t duplicate the issue on latest Firefox on W10 using the html5 blank theme.
Yeah I know, I bookmarked most of the suggestions for features for the bbPress plugin on this site, but if you are experiencing some kind of issue, then why not help out too.
What I got from you that could possibly make the bbPress plugin are.
option to turn off feeds.
add topic auto-suggestion (might be better for the forum search though)
Integrate some plugins like report content (maybe external links)
Export and import settings
View counter
Custom notices
Specific forum permissions
Avatar system
Most of the SEO things could be best to have in a separate plugin, or should be left to the theme and how it is set up.
@pinkishhue
The forum requests and feedback is for this type of thing. If you think some codex article should be available, features should be in bbPress, this site bbpress.org should have some style fixes, etc. this forum is where you post all that in. If you need to create a new topic with a list of suggestions in a list from yourself, you can do that.
The way the menu items show up has always been like that since bbPress v1 standalone. It could be easier for users to see all the post types in one section, this might need another opinion though. I think it is fine either way though. It will be annoying to change all the codex articles if we do change that though haha.
Alright I am going to just test out this theme later today to see all the issues it presents and try to resolve them.
Try this on a local development server or just a test site in general o the site you are trying to import from. Cloning the whole site might be the best way to import from one WordPress site to another WordPress site.
Creating a Test Site
Hello
i have the same problem, i don’t understand what you do, please help me.
where is the functions file ?
what is the code that you modify ?
Thanks again, that’s it!
This is how it works finally for several topics with different divs and a custom action hook:
/*Different divs for all topics of specific forums*/
function add_different_div() {
$topic_id = bbp_get_topic_forum_id();
if (( $topic_id == 123) or ( $topic_id == 456)){
?>
<div> this is some custom div text </div>
<?php
}
elseif ( $topic_id == 789){?>
<div> this is some OTHER custom div text </div>
<?php
}}
add_action( 'different_div', 'add_different_div' );
Custom action hook to add in the template file where the div shall be displayed:
<?php do_action( 'different_div' ); ?>
Hello, i want to remove the commans separating the forums in the index. I searched and found old solutions that do not work. I read on the codex to change the
‘separator’ => ‘, ‘, to ‘separator’ => ”,
in the template.php files from includes but it does not remove the colon.
Can you help me with this please?
Hi Rob
Sorry but I am really at a loss here.
The What The File plugin directed me to the index.php, I copied this to my child theme and pasted the suddested code in there, this changed my layout dramatically when viwing the forum and search results, but did noting to help with the problem, still not getting forum results in the bbpress search.
I also tried adding the code suggested in the thread, to add forum to the wp search, and installed both plugin fixes, but still wordpress ignores the forum in it’s searches.
The issue is that my forum is useless without a decent search function.
Please help.
BBCode Deluxe (https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbcode-deluxe/) adds BBCode markup (and other shortcodes) to WordPress and BBPress. This plugin is a fork of the unmaintained (but well loved and used) “bbPress2 BBCode” plugin by Anton Channing (https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpress-bbcode/).
This plugin includes code from the below listed developers and their plugins. More BBCodes/shortcodes will be added (such as the rest of the BBCodes from “Video and Audio BBCodes”).
- Copyright (C) 2013 Anton Channing (“Video and Audio BBCodes” and “bbPress2 BBCode”)
- Copyright (C) 2010 b0ingBall (b0ingBall BBCode plugin)
- Copyright (C) 2008 Viper007Bond (the original BBCode plugin)
The BBCodes are (or try to be) HTML5-compliant.
The <!-- Generated in 0.959 seconds. (121 q) --> comment comes from BuddyPress. And BuddyPress doesn’t affect the movement of topics (tryed on a fresh installation).
(I’m currently installing every plugin one by one that are active on our forum on a fresh installation, but nothing found yet.)
It’s not a solution to the problem but just a work around.
What does this mean?
I think this has something to do with it, and it’s probably part of some Gulp testing-thing they are using or so.
Property sv:eol-style set to native
Property svn:auto-props set to
*.css = svn:eol-style=native
*.js = svn:eol-style=native
*.php = svn:eol-style=native
*.txt = svn:eol-style=native
*.scss = svn:eol-style=native
*.gif = svn:mime-type=image/gif
*.jpg = svn:mime-type=image/jpeg
*.png = svn:mime-type=image/png
Property svn:global-ignores set to
.DS_Store
.gitignore
Property svn:ignore set to
.htaccess
build
node_modules
npm-debug.log
phpunit.xml
Ok, where could I send a patch? Should I create an SVN patch or just give a description on where to add the code?
Thank you, Stefano.