the answer is probably. although i would say i am not going to let the last 3 weeks go to waste because of a url rewriting issue.
I am happy to put in $200 to sponsor this fix. anyone else willing to add something to this and make a bugfix bounty style approach. it might help to kickoff the bbpress development again.
Basically i want to have the ability to create the forum url permalink structure and the thread permalink structure. as per this ticket, https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2258
I dont care where it goes although within the tools > forums would be fine. or under settings permalinks a forum tab there to actually group similar tools in a sensible way.
If you want to do this development please let me know
Plugin is required also and must not be htaccess rewrites. As i use nginx not apache htaccess style fixes are not an option which suits everyone.
You can also use bbp_create_initial_content() with some bbp_parse_args() to generate your content, bbPress uses this to crate some sample/initial content when installing on multisite installs.
https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/2.5/includes/core/update.php#L174
no, core functions in bbpress cannot be put in other folders.
Generally it is not recommended that you change bbpress itself. Rather almost all bbpress functionality can be filtered, so that the plugin remains complete and changes are put in your theme’s functions file using wordpress filering capability.
What changes did you make? If small, let me know which lines in which file, and post the changes here, and I’ll try to help you with what you should put in your functions file.
You should also make those changes (and the template files you copied ) in a child theme, so that theme updates donlt overwrite these
https://codex.bbpress.org/functions-files-and-child-themes-explained/
Hi all,
I have a hierarchical forums (> 20) and I use bbp_insert_topic functionality to create topics programmatically. Everything is fine so long as we rely only using bbpress. But suppose I want to create a post and want a corresponding topic following the same hierarchy and tags, how can I do that ?
That is, how can I merge something like this:
WordPress <—–> bbpress
- Topics <—–> Posts
- Categories <—–> Forum Categories
- Tags <—–> Topic Tags
All this is because I wish to avoid duplications of category names and tags across the some posts and topics that I intend to create.
I know how to create a post with a given parent id, using wp_insert_post,
Can I set the post id as a child to a Forum Category ? Am I mixing apples and oranges , can it be done ? What should be a right approach ?
Thank you very much for your advices.
This really change root forum page for my own page, but I thought if is possible simply change style from archive for example to post or page. I want to only change wordpress style format but forum content preserve. I use this theme https://www.designwall.com/wordpress/themes/wallpress/ and this theme has archive divided to some parts and forum is bigger than one archive part, therefore I need change style to classic post or page.
bbPress 2.5.8
Wordpress 4.4.2
Where can my users register for my bbpress forum?
Thank you
Hi,
I suppose you mean that you want to change the default page that you get when going on /forums ?
If so, just create a page in WordPress and change the slug to ‘forums’, then put anything you want in that page.
The standard page shown when going on /forums is content-archive-forum.php.
You can customize all templates if you want, just read some pages of the bbPress Codex: https://codex.bbpress.org/themes/theme-compatibility/getting-started-in-modifying-the-main-bbpress-template/
Pascal.
Hi,
I’m beginner in creating wordpress website. Is possible change type root forums page from post-type-archive to for example single-post or basic page? I have template where is archive divided to some parts and archive post with forum has very small width.
Thanks for all replies.
The problem is that wordpress was designed to work with templates that were different for each type eg template for page with sidebar, another template for page without sidebar.
The trouble is that theme authors are getting too clever ,and nowadays write a single big page template that bbpress cannot easily react with.
So your theme displays one template for the main page, but then bbpress can’t work with it for the other sub pages, as it doesn’t know how the theme is using the template.
Ok, so that’s the explanation, but probably doesn’t help you at all.
If you know some wp stuff then this might help
https://codex.bbpress.org/themes/theme-compatibility/getting-started-in-modifying-the-main-bbpress-template/
I haven’t tried it, but this plugin may be what you want.
If you try it, PLEASE let us know if it works and does what it says !
https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/bbpressmoderation
bbPress is tested with wordpress default themes. It maybe a conflict – you need to check plugins and themes
It could be a theme or plugin issue
Plugins
Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.
Themes
If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, as a test switch to a default theme such as twentyfifteen, and see if this fixes.
Then come back
I am trying to edit the phrase “Oh bother! etc,” but when I get to the Plugin Editor it’s saying that the default template is inactive, like this –
bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/feedback-no-replies.php (inactive)
I am using WordPress 4.4.2 running Twenty Sixteen theme. and bbPress is Version 2.5.8
My site is http://www.fagleyforum.site
How can I find the right place to edit this phrase?
Hahaha tags “sleeping pill store” tag should be a signal that someone is asleep at the tiller. Really folks, this place is asleep, and all Robin W. does is state that it is free software and you should be durned grateful, and not try and wake anybody up.
Development is tediously slow, regardless of some $50k that was raised a few years ago. 2.6 should supposedly fix the issue with not being able to replace posts with forum discussions. Surely that is also why the plugin that actual does that hasn’t been updated in two years. And 2.6 was 4 months late in May 2014. So when will it ever be released?
This is simply too long! Obviously this project is coasting on the coattails of integration (and requirement of use) in BuddyPress and that it is an anointed project of WordPress.org. Anything less would have near zero users already.
So much functionality is needed to be reasonable. There appears to be a single active developer committing to the code: https://www.openhub.net/p/bbpress/commits/summary
But really, this was a complaint over a year and a half ago, and it ain’t changed. Very sad as the potential is quite big. How else do you explain 16,000+ downloads of that plugin that has been abandoned: https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpress-post-topics/
Nevermind figured it out.
BBPress members are definitely linked to WordPress users. They are not separate.
And to get the login/register links somewhere besides the sidebar requires digging through the plugin theme files and some work, which I haven’t finished yet. =P
I’m trying to figure out how to put the Login / Register links on the forum homepage without it being in the sidebar.
But 2nd question. Does BBPress use it’s own user login/register system or is it connected to WordPress’s users?
So on WordPress general settings there is this option:
Anyone can register
Do I need to check that option for BBPress to work?
Or is BBPress’s users separate from WordPress user system?
I’ve installed the plugin, but theres no Forum options in my WP Painel… So, the Forum wont appear on website cuz there no option to create it after plugin’s installed. What can i do?
Wordpress: Versão 4.4.2
bbPress: Versão 2.5.8
Website: http://www.finalfantasyrpg.com.br
Apologies on the late reply everyone. I’m using 3.1, latest version (for if you’re not, it’s like WordPress and you will get hacker bots scanning for old versions.) Unfortunately that seems to be the issue. Thanks @Brandon and @Stephen for your assistance. Table prefixes were properly used. I’ll have another go at it again but I’m pretty sure I was using latest version of WP and BBpress in order to do the conversion.
bonjour,
Thanks for your advise. I’ll try to fix according to your suggestion, it will take to me a little bit of time because i’m newbie in wordpress 🙂
thanks Kostas.
great – glad you’re fixed
You can also try my style pack, which has some login features as well as lots of styling stuff
https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-style-pack/
download my style pack
https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-style-pack/
and you can change lots of things using that
I’ve built a plugin that allows anonymous posters to subscribe for notifications on new replies 🙂
https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-anonymous-subscriptions/
no problem you need my private groups plugin as additional to bbpress.
https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-private-groups/
Hi everybody 🙂
And first of all:
– Sorry for my English mistakes :/
– Sorry if I post in the wrong forum(?)
– Sorry if this question was already asked: I looked for an answer for 2 days and I can’t find anything which suits exactly to my problem :'(
I am trying to create a very simple forum for this website: http://www.zykoson.com/site
I am using the latest versions of WordPress, BBpress, BuddyPress etc.
I’ve read all the documentation, lots of topics but I still don’t know how to have:
– One “public” part: everybody is able to see the forums and topics, but people have to be registered to post something.
– One “private” part:only registered members belonging to a special group are able to see and post in this part. I would like to manually add these users to the group, after they create their profile.
Really, I think I am stupid because I CAN’T get there. I’ve tried everything: private forums, public ones, creating multiples groups with Buddypress. But no way. There is always a problem (and even if I get something correct, there is still a problem such as the breadcrumb which doesn’t display correctly)!
Please I need help before snatching all my hair, I’m on the verge of abandoning everything T_T
Thank you very much in advance and sorry for this so simple question
Yeah of course,
link
btw i forgot to say that i’m using wordpress 4.4.2 and bbpress 2.5.8.
thanks!