Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Oh bother! feedback-no-replies

• fca0secretary
    Participant

@fca0secretary

I am trying to edit the phrase “Oh bother! etc,” but when I get to the Plugin Editor it’s saying that the default template is inactive, like this –
    bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/feedback-no-replies.php (inactive)
    I am using WordPress 4.4.2 running Twenty Sixteen theme. and bbPress is Version 2.5.8
    My site is http://www.fagleyforum.site
    How can I find the right place to edit this phrase?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hi,
    Never edit bbpress templates directly in the bbpress folder, otherwise you will loose your changes when bbPress updates.
    There are several ways that I know of, but the most easy one would probably be by installing my ‘bbP Toolkit’ plugin.

Or you play with CSS yourself:

.bbp-template-notice {
    	display: none;
    }

.bbp-template-notice.info,
    .bbp-template-notice.error,
    .bbp-template-notice.important,
    .bbp-template-notice.warning {
    	display: block;
    }

Not that also other similar messages will disappear with the above.

And if you want to modify bbPress files, please check the codex (https://codex.bbpress.org/themes/theme-compatibility/getting-started-in-modifying-the-main-bbpress-template/) and/or create a child theme
    Pascal.

fca0secretary
    Participant

@fca0secretary

I installed the plug-in and changed the words but it still doesn’t work, it’s still showing the original message. 🙁

fca0secretary
    Participant

@fca0secretary

fca0secretary
    Participant

@fca0secretary

What I want to change is “Oh bother! No search results were found here!” , not “Oh bother! No topics were found here!” which is what your plug-in changes. This is what I want to edit:
    bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/feedback-no-search.php (inactive)

but it’s marked as “inactive” so what does that mean?

fca0secretary
    Participant

@fca0secretary

or, look at it another way, is there a way to make the “Search Forums” widget invisible unless you are logged in? I notice that you can’t see some of the widgets unles you’re logged in. That’s what would be ideal for me. This is a private site for members only so I don’t want the general public to be seeing anything except the front page message.

Okay, maybe this then:

CSS:

.bbp-search-form {
     display:none !important;
     }

Also check the option called ‘Search’ in your dashboard: ‘Settings > Forums > Forum Features’

Pascal.

fca0secretary
    Participant

@fca0secretary

It’s no good, I can’t find anything like what you’re talking about. The only thing I can find is this: bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/feedback-no-search.php (inactive) which is clearly the thing I want to edit but it’s marked as “inactive” so editing it doesn’t have any effect.
    I’m going to have to find a different plug-in, I haven’t time for this. But thanks anyway and have a cup of coffee on me!

Hmmm, I’m getting the ‘Oops’ page, not the ‘Oh Bother’ … So that’s the 404 page.
    If your forums are private, check if my replies here help: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/setup-login-for-private-forum/
    EDIT: Thanks for the coffee !!!
    Pascal.

fca0secretary
    Participant

@fca0secretary

I already found your other thread, which was also helpful. I’ve ended up getting a very simple plug-in which is all I need. (I hope)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar