Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Updates

Viewing 25 replies - 651 through 675 (of 1,184 total)
  • I have just downloaded from SVN the most recent version and started testing it with a theme I’m building with custom posts in it, it’s a child theme of twenty ten so I took all the bbpress specific files from the bbpress child theme in the repository and put them into my child theme.

I added everything I think I need in order to make the theme compatible for bbpress and added add_theme_support( ‘bbpress’ ); as the template files are all in theme.

I’m still getting the

bbPress is almost ready. First you’ll need to activate a bbPress compatible theme. We’ve bundled a child theme of Twenty Ten to get you started.

Message. Am I missing something or is this a bug? I’ve got the forums showing up and I’m assuming working as I put in the forums and they are displaying.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Matalina: Try adding bbpress in the list of tags in style.css of your theme. That behavior should be changed though.

Thanks.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

chrisbrocklesby: There was a fix posted earlier in this thread about that (which I don’t actually remember and it’s hard to locate that). It happens when you upgrade from an old version of bbPress plugin. If you could nuke the whole dev site and install it again, then it should start working again for you. :)

chrisbrocklesby

@chrisbrocklesby

Thanks Gautam…

selise
    Participant

@selise

gautam, are you perhaps referring to tooltrainer’s tip on upgrading?

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-plugin-updates/page/21#post-86344

Good to see that the plugin is progressing so fast now.

To catch up, the bbpress files now can be placed within the theme folder? And if so, what files go in there?

Keep up the great work JJJ and Gautum. :D

been following this for sometime as I am in the midst of converting a vbulletin site over to wordpress/buddypress. The forums are a huge part of that and I was told to look into bbpress. Initially I wasn’t to happy but it seemed like the better option based on the relationship between all the top people involved in all the WP, BP, BB family. I did actually find a way to get the users and data over to bbpress on a test site. I am about to look into that again for the new site beings we are now ready to get that open to the public. Before I do that though, I am curious as to how the stand alone will integrate into the plug in. I am reading things in this thread and see mention that is might not be ready as of yet?

Also, how do I get the plugin itself to test out? I see mention of it being uploaded on wordpress repository??? Is that not the main area there?

Tried searching and only some other thing came up.

Please post a link if it is something everyone can test out as it would be helpful for the development of my site.

Thanks.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@willabee – Don’t move any files anywhere. Just activate bbPress and see how it fits on your site. If it doesn’t, use the bbp-twentyten theme. It puts itself in your list of available themes even though it’s in the plugins folder

@Rick Lewis – I’ll post a new topic tonight with instructions on how to test. :)

@JJJ

Thanks,

This means i could download it tonight from this location?

https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress/

At this point it says: Last Updated: 2010-4-30

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Jaja: The plugin in the WordPress Plugin repository has not yet been updated. You can svn checkout it via this link: http://svn.automattic.com/bbpress/branches/plugin or click the download as zip archive link here.

Just installed the latest version of the plugin on my local testserver. Unfortunately, my first impression was that it did not work at all since whatever I tried, WP would always redirect anything related to bbpress to the 404 / Page not found, regardless of which theme (default TwentyTen / bbpress Theme) was activated.

I noticed that turning off WP’s rewrite engine eventually did the trick, although I would not consider this to be a real solution. Maybe there’s something wrong with the url rewriting handled by bbpress. The base path to my WP in my setup is like ‘http://localhost/wptest/’.

manifestcreative

@manifestcreative

Just installed the bbPress plugin and WOW… I’m impressed! Took about 5 minutes to install, activate the TwentyTen bbPress theme and create a couple of pages with the appropriate templates.

Can’t wait to start theming sites with these new capabilities in mind! Am I correct in assuming that the forums are based upon custom post types? With that baked in core functionality there are all kinds of cool implementations I’m itching to try.

Nice work ya’ll! If there’s anything I can do to help please let me know…

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I like how there are two completely different opinions and perspectives immediately back-to-back.

@binhdo – Something is most likely up with your install. Any more details you an provide?

There is absolutely nothing special about my install. It’s a clean and fresh install of WP 3.1.2 with no additional plugins enabled. Initially, I enabled permalinks, activated bbpress and created a new forum. The view-forum link points to ‘http://localhost/wptest/forums/forum/general-forum’, which then results in a ‘page not found’ error. With permalinks disabled, all these pages would show up nicely as expected.

The sever is a local Apache on Win7 x64 (uniformserver package) and appears to be running perfectly fine so far.

Arjun S Kumar
    Participant

@arjunskumar

@binhdo

I’ve had similiar issues on my XAMPP server like when the permalink structure is changed I get 404 error. Its just a mod rewrite error of the local server installation. Even with the kind of permalink you said, you wont be able to view a post too, you’ll be getting same error. The default permalink works fine on local server. There is nothing wrong with bbPress. ;-)

Thanks @Arjun, but there is nothing wrong with permalinks enabled in my setup. I am running several installs on my local machine and everything is working well unless bbpress is enabled. I noticed that with bbpress enabled, the login link is changed to ‘…/login/’ which also results in a ‘page not found’.

slobizman
    Participant

@slobizman

I’m very excited to hear this Alpha of the plugin is days away. I have a question whose answer I hope will not spoil my excitement: do you see any reason this will not work with the Thesis theme?

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

binhdo: When you install bbPress, you need to set up some pages using the Page Templates. Login is one of them. We should probably change this.

slobizman: That question is like the icing on the cake, especially after all the GPL debate. Theoretically, bbPress has some theme compatibility features which would work good with most of the themes. If it doesn’t with Thesis, then probably you can go to their support forums and ask them to add bbPress support. :)

@Gautam: Does that mean I have to create a ‘page-login.php’ template which contains the login/logout form?

Sorry, but this doesn’t make any sense to me, since WordPress already comes with everything needed to handle logins etc.

Another question would be how bbpress handles user permissions. I did not find any setting where I could set a required user level in order to view or post on the forum.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@binhdo – The login page specifically does some hi-jacking now that it shouldn’t. Regarding permissions, any registered user can view or post in the forums. Only Admins/Super Admins can create/edit/trash/delete forums. Moderators can spam/trash/edit topics and replies. New use roles can be created relatively easily, and there will be both a “Super Moderator” and a remix of the “Bozo” plugin soon after release. Some additional measures were put in place to assure that the ‘default role’ was always able to post in the forums, because in multisite installations it’s possible a registered user may not actually have a role at all.

Regarding your permalink issues earlier, last night I made sure that the WordPress rewrite rules get a hard flush when bbPress is activated, deactivated, and when the settings page is saved. In the future the bbPress ‘slugs’ will get moved to the WordPress Settings -> Permalinks page, alas at the moment there’s a core bug that doesn’t allow the settings API to insert additional fields there.

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

I did not find any setting where I could set a required user level in order to view or post on the forum.

i think you can set up user permission for bbpress in the users section in wordpress (admin, colaborator, reader etc)

edit: JJJ explained it better

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

@JJJ

regarding the wordpress/bbpress theme compatibility… it kind of works with that code in the functions.php file, it works but only for individual pages, look forward for developments on this.

Keep up the good work guys!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

The default WordPress roles/permissions are really awesome, but there’s no UI to customize them to fit your specific wants and needs. If there’s a need to change the capabilities, that can be done with relative ease with a supplemental plugin to change the defaults. bbPress is meant to be flexible, so it should adapt with whatever you throw at it too.

Viewing 25 replies - 651 through 675 (of 1,184 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Updates’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar