Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Updates

Viewing 25 replies - 626 through 650 (of 1,184 total)

• Arjun S Kumar
    Participant

@arjunskumar

@DarkWolf.it

Gautam Gupta and Nightgunner5 have made a script for moving bbPress standalone to bbPress plugin. Its available here.

http://code.google.com/p/bbpress-standalone-to-plugin/

Though, an importer will be bundled with the bbPress plugin in the stable release AFAIK.

Anonymous User 7670885
    Inactive

@anonymized-7670885

This is great :)

I think is a good point to start my migration (after of this i need only to convert my actual newsboard inside wordpress) ;)

Edit: ok, i can migrate some topic to blog thanks to fixed custom post switcher: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-post-type-switcher-broken-after-31 but it don’t convert replies.

Hey guys love the new plugin. Can anyone shed some light on how to use all of the existing bbpress addons, plugins, etc with the wordpress version of this? Thanks.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Darkwold.it: Because comments are own their own, it is not a post type.

studioleland: You can’t. :)

Anonymous User 7670885
    Inactive

@anonymized-7670885

@Gautam: ok :/

PS: I’ve try converter (in trunk) but i’ve found many problem with it (is in trunk – maybe you already know all – i don’t know).

Anyway, i hope in a future plugin to convert topic (with replies) in wordpress articles (with comments). It’s very important for a good conversion of my actual website.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

DarkWolf.it: Can you describe the problems you faced in this topic? – https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-standalone-to-plugin-converter-beta-2

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Going to be cleaning up the trac tickets for the plugin over this weekend and uploading a 2.0-alpha-1 to the WordPress.org plugin repository in the next few days. This should make downloading, installing, and updating the plugin easier for everyone now that it’s ready for more testing.

The original alphas won’t include Gautam and Nightgunner5’s converter, but I’ll spend some time with it before launch and see about fitting it into core.

Getting close!

So how easy will it be to convert bbPress Standalone plugins to bbPress Plugin plugins?

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

JJJ: Yeah, getting close. :P

Bryan: As easy as uploading a 2-line edited script and clicking a few next buttons. ;)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Note to existing bbPress plugin users: To work in harmony with BuddyPress Group forums, the behavior of private forums has changed.

Going forward there are 3 types of forum visibility: Public, Private, and Hidden

Previously, private forums were completely hidden from view. This is no longer the case. Private forums, their topics, and their replies are now all visible in sidebars and user profiles, only you must have the “read_private_forums” cap to view them.

Hidden forums, on the other hand, are completely hidden from view, as are their topics and replies. Anything inside a hidden forum is only visible to users that also have the ‘read_private_forums” cap.

The logic on how these will work is still fuzzy, since it’s not something that bbPress will really need to do on its own. It will be up to plugins (like BuddyPress) to determine meta capabilities for user scope per private/hidden forum on the fly.

Right now “Private Forums” are more like teasers, where users can see they exist but cannot access them, where as “Hidden Forums” are totally 100% hidden from view except from admins and super admins in the wp-admin.

Going to be cleaning up the trac tickets for the plugin over this weekend and uploading a 2.0-alpha-1 to the WordPress.org plugin repository in the next few days. This should make downloading, installing, and updating the plugin easier for everyone now that it’s ready for more testing.

Hell, yes!! :D

Andre
    Participant

@andrejcarter

@JJJ Thank you for the work you’ve put in and the reply.

Awesome JJJ, Guatam and the rest of the contributers! What I’ve seen so far on Guatam’s page looks really good.

Can’t wait to test it when it’s in the WordPress plugin repository.

One question though: It’s been brought up in this topic before, but does the plugin keep track of what has been read and what not at the moment? There was some talk about a seperate plugin too… If the bbpress plugin doesn’t have it, is that seperate plugin available somewhere?

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

Great news! Thanks JJJ and Gautam.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

A few last minute gifts are now in the bbPress plugin.

First, shortcodes. Now you can insert forums and topics into blog posts and pages. This is awesome because it will let you insert a river of forums or replies anywhere that the_content(); is used and shortcodes are supported.

Second, theme compatibility. This one is huge, could use some testing, and is potentially a game-changer. If you’re not using a theme that actively supports bbPress by setting add_theme_support( 'bbpress' );, bbPress is going to serve up its own default set of templates and styling from whatever is set as the theme compatibility layer (which defaults to bbp-twentyten.) There is a little more work to be done here, but so far it’s working a treat.

As a plugin developer, theme compatibility with new features is something I’ve wrestled with for a really long time, and recent changes in WordPress core have made this easier. For BuddyPress and now bbPress, this is years in the planning stages, and I’m really happy, excited, and proud that it’s in and loosely working. :)

Awesome news John, thanks for the update! Looking forward to seeing the alpha pop up in the directory.

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

…If you’re not using a theme that actively supports bbPress by setting add_theme_support( ‘bbpress’ );, bbPress is going to serve up its own default set of templates and styling from whatever is set as the theme compatibility layer…

Does this mean we can use the theme we currently use with wordpress even if its not bbpress friendly? is this similar to when wordpress introduced posthumbnails and we needed to add a line to the functions.php to enable it on themes that weren´t compatible with postthumbnails?

Where do we put the “add_theme_support( ‘bbpress’ )” in bbpress?

Thank you for listening to “our” requests on using bbpress with our current themes

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Ricardo: You should put that line in your WordPress theme’s functions.php. Note that some themes might still not display it properly.

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

Hi Gautam, i tried it on the 4 themes i previously used with wordpress and it didn’t work.

Added:

add_theme_support( 'bbpress' ); to the theme functions, will wait for further developments,

The themes i used are minimalist and simplistic without “fancy stuff”, i can’t help with coding but if you need any testing just let me know.

caneblu
    Participant

@caneblu

JJJ this is a wonderful gift!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@ricardouk – Gautam’s got it a little backwards. It means that if your existing WordPress theme *DOES NOT* have add_theme_support( 'bbpress' ); in its functions.php file (or anywhere else) that bbPress will attempt to fill in the missing template files on its own with a default set of CSS rules.

For example, for themes that do not *explicitly* say “yes I have bbPress template files” bbPress will still attempt to work it out for you. Say you purchased a theme from StudioPress which doesn’t come bundled with any bbPress template files for forums, that’s okay. When you visit a single forum or single topic, bbPress intercepts the request and serves up a default template that looks like a forum or topic. :)

In other words, do not use add_theme_support( 'bbpress' ); unless your custom theme has a “/bbpress” folder that has the necessary files that bbPress expects to be there.

Was not sure if this should go into trac, however:

I have the following:

Main Category 1

A number of forums within this category

Main Category 2

A number of forums within this category

etc.

When I go into one of the main categories, i.e. Number 2, it displays the forums within that category correctly, however, the New Topic Form displays, “Create new topic in: “the name of the last forum/last post” in the list”. Is that correct? Or should there not be a form?

If i create a topic, it puts the topic under the list of forums as well as within the correct Forum.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

That’s a bug. I experienced it once before and thought I’d fixed it so might be a regression of some newer privacy handling code. Will check it out. Go ahead and create a trac ticket for it and I’ll close it when it’s resolved.

Great job guys, really excited about how close all this is now.

chrisbrocklesby

@chrisbrocklesby

Hi Guys,

Very quick question, I may be missing something simple… But…

On my bbpress plugin test site, I get the forums page layout as if my forums were blog posts ( http://www.webition.com/dev/forum/ )

Yet on ( http://www.ricardouk.com/bbpress/forum/ ) Demo Forum the Forums page is how I would expect it to be…

Is there a bug, I am on the latest bbpress plugin ‘trac version’ ( https://trac.bbpress.org/changeset/3062/branches/plugin?old_path=%2F&format=zip ) .. should be using this version?…

I am just using a child theme on top of the Official BBP Twenty ten theme, but even with out the child theme I still have this issue…

Thanks Guys,

Chris

Viewing 25 replies - 626 through 650 (of 1,184 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Updates’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar