Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Updates

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 1,184 total)

• Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

the plugin isn’t due for release, a version for alpha testing is though. It is unlikely to be ready for a live site for some time.

(at least that is my understanding)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

(at least that is my understanding)

Correct. Looking more like October 17 now, to be exact.

On Sunday at WordCamp NYC I’ll be presenting a 5 minute lightning session on the plugins progress so far. Worked on it a little today, and will be doing more until then to have something presentable. :)

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

good news, thanks for the update.

I’ve been watching the action unfold on the trac… and in my spare time I also like to watch paint dry. But no, it’s great to see stuff happening. :)

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Just to keep you people updated, this is the progress so far:

1. Topic & Post Counts – This works fine, except for displaying post counts in forums, jjj said that he’s working on a patch which would be ready by Sunday.
    2. Voice Counts – Check #1330, has patch
    3. Rough Template – Done, except for front-end posting
    4. Admin area clean-up – This is pretty fine
    5. User’s Profiles, Posts, Favorites – Todo

If you’re interested in development, then you can checkout a copy of the plugin, test out patches or create tickets for bugs/enhancements etc.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

I was going to wait until JJJ said go – as I assumed there would be a fair few updates in the next couple of days.

JJJ, thanks for all your work on the new bbpress!

I run a wordpress site that uses a premium classifieds theme, and I have a bbpress forum integrated on the site.

One little issue is that members of my site have both a forum profile and another profile associated with the classifieds section.

It would be best if members of my site had only a single profile, that could be linked to from both the forum and from the classifieds section.

And the profile could show both recent forum posts of that member, as well as recent classified ads.

I’m not sure if this issue is best to bring up here with bbpress of maybe with the developers of the classifieds theme, or if it’s something I should try to handle myself.

Another thing is about avatars.

If I recall correctly, the current version of bbpress only has native support for “gravatars”.

Many people, such as me, don’t want “an image that follows you from site to site appearing beside your name when you do things like comment or post on a blog.”

I much prefer allowing members of my site to have an avatar that is specific to their profile on my site.

Hopefully future versions of bbpress have native support for both gravatars and also avatars that are not gravatars.

is there an idea of when this will be publicly launched ie it will be safe to use on a site?

I am very eager to use this!

I am looking forward to this and I want to thank you guys for working on it. I’m just testing the plugin from the trac for any bugs etc and was wondering, how do you display the forum itself on the site or has it not got that far yet? Backend seems to be working ok.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

how do you display the forum itself on the site or has it not got that far yet

First of all, you need to enable the TwentyTen child theme from Appearance. Then, you need to create a new page, give it a title and then select bbPress - Forum Index in Template Select Box in Page Attributes section (below Publish button).

And when you’d visit the page, you would see the list of forums, then you can go to a particular forum to see its topics and then go to a particular topic to see its replies.

Thank you Gautam, that worked and I assume that if i want to use a different theme, i would have to create a child theme for my main Theme.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

That’s right.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

That isn’t so good, and I thought you might be going down that route. Is there no other way of displaying a forum other than using this?

I would suggest that if a bbPress template exists within the current theme use that, else fall back to a default within the plugin. Otherwise the uptake will be severely limited to those using TwentyTen! and then only if they haven’t already created a child theme.

If you keep with this route then it will only alienate users. (IMO)

edit: where do you want error reports sent, seems daft to use TRAC at this early stage, can we have a dedicated board on here?

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

@Rich Pedley

The plugin is in the bleeding-edge state, I’m sure that some kinds of those checks would be added in future.

And about error reports, Trac is the best place as it is easier to manage tickets/issues there. Just open up a ticket with milestone 1.2, current open tickets can be viewed here.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

k will do, as soon as I get the next version of my plugin out the door.

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

when trying the new bbpress pluggin i get the following error message:

Warning: require_once(C:wampwww/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-filters.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:wampwwwwp-contentpluginspluginbbp-loader.php on line 144

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required ‘C:wampwww/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-filters.php’ (include_path=’.;C:php5pear’) in C:wampwwwwp-contentpluginspluginbbp-loader.php on line 144

with notepad ++ i opened the bbp-loader.php file and on line 144 i found the following:

require_once ( BBP_DIR . ‘/bbp-filters.php’ );

i checked if i had that file in the pluggin folder and its there

trying to activate the pluggin brought the wordpress installation off, all i can see is the error about line 144.

Can anyone help?

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

just tested it online…no problems so far… created a few forums, topics etc to test it out… will test this later after i get off work, forum display needs a bit of teaking but it would be great if the simple:press integration method could be done withh bbpress.

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

First of all, you need to enable the TwentyTen child theme from Appearance. Then, you need to create a new page, give it a title and then select bbPress – Forum Index in Template Select Box in Page Attributes section (below Publish button).

When following these instructions, I don’t see bbPress in the Template Select Box.

and how can user create new topic ?

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

We need a “test.bbpress.org” or smt! :)

From what I can gather, I suppose this means there won’t be any bbpressplugin-as-BuddyPress-component testing until some later stage?

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

@citizenkeith – you need to copy the bbp-twentyten directory to your themes directory, or it doesn’t work correctly.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

@dudd, médecine blog

front interface hasn’t been done yet, but you can create topics via the back end.

From what I can gather, I suppose this means there won’t be any bbpressplugin-as-BuddyPress-component testing until some later stage

i would assume bp1.3. though tempting to see what it takes now to get the new bbp coexisting. :P

alanchrishughes

@alanchrishughes

So is this going to be ready today or pushed back again?

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 1,184 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Updates’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar