Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Updates

Viewing 25 replies - 951 through 975 (of 1,184 total)
  • Not sure if this is a bug or what but I just noticed it.

The top level of the breadcrumbs is linking to whatever my blog front page is set to be. In my case, my site’s front page is called “Sales Page”, so all my breadcrumbs look like this:

Sales Page › Discussions › Beginners

When someone clicks on “Sales Page” they are taken to the root of my site, which is in fact my sales page but is definitely not the top level of the forums. I would expect it to be something like:

Forums Home › Discussions › Beginners

where “Forums Home” would link to mydomain.com/forums/ since my forums “page” is called “forums”.

Do I have a setting wrong somewhere maybe?

Thanks,

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Nope. Definitely not a bug; that’s the desired behavior.

The thing about these breadcrumbs is everyone wants them to do something different, because everyone configures their sites differently. I’m aiming for a ‘please no one’ approach now. :)

If you want to remove the home link, you’ll need to filter the breadcrumb with a custom function in your themes functions.php file, or write a plugin to remove the link or change the text. I’ve made it pretty easy to do, and it will be easier for Beta 3 which should be out in a few days.

@JJJ I installed it on a test site.. with 2 forum categories.. General Talk and Talk Happiness

found a bug got

site com/forums

<br />
    <title> Happy People's Forum | Sitename </title><br />

but it gives in title tag the archive mode and shows like this

site com/forums

<br />
    <title> Forum: Talk Happiness | Sitename </title><br />

supposed to be this one:

site com/forums

<br />

and this “Forum: Talk Happiness | Sitename” should be only shown at

site com/forums/forum/talk-happiness/

<br />
    <title> Forum: Talk Happiness | Sitename </title><br />

Archive Slugs

Forums Base forums

Topics Base topics

Single Slugs

Forum Prefix Yes Incude the Forum Base slug in single forum item links

Forum slug: forum

Topic slug: topic

Topic tag slug: topic_tag

Reply slug : topic_tag

Reply slug:reply

User base: user

View base : view

Permalink Settings

Custom Structure: /post/%postname%/

Another one…

Case 1 If Forum Prefix is set to yes (this is ok)

site//forums/forum/happy-talk/

site/forums/topic/topicpost/

site/forums/users/name/

Case 2 If Forum Prefix is set to no (this is not ok)

site/forum/happy-talk/

site/topic/topicpost/

site/users/name/

when people directly go to site/forum/ they will be lost… 404notfound

and I want to recommend this… its better to have this for forums links pages

Forums Home › Talk Happiness › Why choose happiness with bbPress?

(Structure: forum base, the forum board, the topic)

not this one loosing forums base page.

Website Home › Talk Happiness › Why choose happiness with bbPress?

(Structure: website base, the forum board, the topic)

bug in topic_tag

site/forums/topic_tag/talk

<br />
    <div id="topic-tag" class="bbp-topic-tag"><br />
    <h1 class="entry-title">Topic Tag: <span>talk</span></h1></p>
    <p> <div class="entry-content"></p>
    <p> <div class="bbp-breadcrumb"><p><a href="https://bbpress.org/">Home</a> › <a href="https://bbpress.org/forums/">Support Forums</a> › <span class="bbp-breadcrumb-current">Why choose happiness with bbPress?</span></p></div><br />

it gives the latest topic on it..

[edited:added this one bug in topic_tag]

my next question is…

is there a way to change all the head title tag to this formats to improve user experience… for wordpress and bbPress plugin:

For Main Forum Base

<br />

For forum categories

<br />
    <title> Talk Happiness (Forum for single/Board for forum category)| Happy People's Forum </title><br />

For forum post

<br />
    <title> Why choose happiness with bbPress? |page#| Happy People's Forum </title><br />

it is sometimes annoying to have the word “Forum:”, “Topic:” or “Topic Tag:” all the head title tag before every forum pages.

Removing this “Forum:”, “Topic:” or “Topic Tag:” could help to market wordpress and combination of bbPress plugin… to be fantastic combination of blog&forum software..

I found that vBulletin sites head title tag structure for forums gives more emphasis on why people will read it, why people should comment to it (# pages = means hot topic), and the brand for the website/forum site [when people search via google, yahoo or any search engine people sees good head title tag structure, more often people will click it and read it]

Negosyo para sa mga “busy at mahiyain” – Page 31 – PinoyExchange

why/why not go to Accenture? – PinoyExchange

benefits and perks in accenture? – PinoyExchange

sorry, asked questions… and i have to comment on how to improve bbpress plugin

Please no one eh? Now that’s a novel approach! LOL Does this mean if someone likes it, you’ve failed? ;)

Anyway, at least I know that I’m not missing something. I’ll go in and modify it as needed, or maybe hold off until beta 3. None of my users have mentioned it, but I noticed it and wanted to fix it.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

@tooltrainer

JJ has made it really easy to remove the link to the website ‘home’ page via a function call. From his comment it sounds like he is going to make it even easier than it is now, so I would hold off until beta3.

Right now you would have to modify every template that calls the breadcrumbs. As bbpress beta is changing so fast, it is probably easiest to wait for his new solution.

Development is on a furious pace, so expect an easy solution soon enough.

Yep I’m just gonna sit tight. Like I said, no user has screamed about it or anything so, I’ll just accept it for a little while longer.

Furious indeed… maybe they should rename this project “bbPress – the Faster & the Furiouser!” =)

Jonathan

selise
    Participant

@selise

so sorry, another breadcrumb question to add to the thread….

installed are: wp 3.1.3 and bbp beta-2

(first bbpress plugin install was pre-alpha and have been updating every few days as development has progressed — many thanks for a great plugin!)

my setup is:

forums base archive slug is “forums”

single forum slug is “forum”

forum prefix is not included (button unchecked)

for mydomain.com/forums/

where the forums “page” uses the template “bbPress – Forums (Index)”

and there are three individual forums (example: forum1, forum2, forum3)

the breadcrumb on each of the individual forums seems correct:

site › forums › forum1

site › forums › forum2

site › forums › forum3

i’d expect the breadcrumb on the “forums” index page to be:

site › forums

but instead i see:

site › forums › forum1

where forum1 was the first forum created.

…..

is this the desired behavior? my set up error? a bug?

Firstly I’m very glad to see this project going.

I’ve been playing around with the beta, using beta 2 at the moment, and maybe it’s me doing something wrong but if I create a forum, and then create a category it will not allow me to create a topic under that category. Only under it’s main forum. Is this intentional?

I’m very much looking forward to the final release of this plugin. Thanks! :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@selise – that will be fixed in Beta 3

@Syrhen – Only forums can have topics. Categories cannot. I’ll likely add a note to the metabox before release.

selise
    Participant

@selise

many thanks jjj! (you just saved me a bunch of time trying to track down my mistake)

I figured it out.. uploaded another theme, edited and it works.. added some tweaks in the theme functions viola good combination :)

Home › Forums › Happy Talk › Why choose bbpress?

Forums › Happy Talk › Why choose bbpress?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

So, before bbpress.org is completely overrun with 2.0 questions, becoming intermixed with the six years worth of standalone knowledgebase (thereby making useful searches impossible) are y’all going to make a sub-forum for it or not?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@_ck_ – Doubtful. For the small volume of topics per day that come in, I don’t see the point of forking our own forums.

On the user and view pages the body tag has a class of error404, which kinda messes with the layout on my particular setup. I’m using the latest SVN trunk of BBP and the latest trunk of WP 3.2.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Are you using trunk for standalone, or SVN plugin branch for WP plugin?

SVN plugin branch. This is a topic for it after all ;)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Just making sure since you said “trunk” :)

What theme are you using? Can you link me to your site to see what’s happening? I just checked my installs with bbp-twentyten or using theme compat, and can’t duplicate.

I’ve copied the template files across to the theme. There’s only minimal adjustments been made. It’s on my local machine, so can’t provide a link. Here’s a bit more info. It’s on a subdomain on a multisite installation.

Just found out that the topic tags template never shows any topics and there’s quite a few tagged topics.

I’ll dig a bit deeper into the code and let you know when I find something.

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

@traveljunkie

The topics tag template may still be a bug in the plugin. JJ was looking into it for me as I had the same problem.

*I do not have the 404 in my body tag on the user/view pages. I am also using a custom template on a subdomain wp install. That part ‘may’ be unique to your setup

–trying to save you some time

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

@JJJ There are already 4300+ downloads of the beta in the past 10 days (because it’s on wordpress.org) and the twitter volume about it has exploded. There is going to be a surge of questions. I’m just suggesting you get ahead of the wave.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@traveljunkie – Looking into it.

@_ck_ – Thanks. By virtue of WordPress.org Extend we already get a dedicated tag for support questions (which I’m keeping an eye on.) I fear having a specific forum here only calls attention to an issue that doesn’t exist yet. Half of the topics here aren’t in the correct forums anyways.

Haven’t found the time to look into it in depth yet, so in the meantime I sorted things with these two functions:

/**
    * Search only our forums and fix topic tags
    * @since 1.0
    */
    function click_help_add_to_search( $query )
    {
    if( $query->is_search )
    $query->set( 'post_type', array( 'topic', 'reply' ) );

if( ! empty( $query->query_vars['topic-tag'] ) )
    $query->set( 'post_type', array( 'topic' ) );

return $query;
    }
    add_filter( 'pre_get_posts', 'click_help_add_to_search' );

/**
    * Remove error404 class from the body
    * @since 1.0
    */
    function click_help_remove_error404( $classes )
    {
    if( in_array( 'bbPress', $classes ) )
    {
    $error = array_search( 'error404', $classes );
    unset( $classes[$error] );
    }

return $classes;
    }
    add_filter( 'body_class', 'click_help_remove_error404' );

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Your search function is going to break the normal blog search. Topic tags are already limited to the topic post type, so that shouldn’t change anything. And removing the class from the body doesn’t explain why it’s there to begin with. If $wp_query thinks all bbPress pages are 404’s, there’s a bigger problem.

I’m aware of the search function breaking normal search behaviour, but it’s not a problem in my case. bbPress is sitting in a subdomain and there’s not gonna be any normal blog posts.

As for the topic tags, they should only be limited to the topic post type, you’re right, but when I checked the actual query it turned out that the post, page and attachment post types were being queried, so the above snippet did fix that.

Obviously these are only temporary fixes, but they’ll have to do for now until I find the time to dig deeper.

Just found what I think is a small bug.

If a member posts in a topic, and the admin splits that topic to move it to a new topic of its own, the “freshness” for that topic is still showing the latest poster as the other member, and they and their avatar are also still shown as the last person to post in that topic when viewing the topic.

Jonathan

Viewing 25 replies - 951 through 975 (of 1,184 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Updates’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar