Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Updates

Viewing 25 replies - 926 through 950 (of 1,184 total)
  • Thanks JJJ, I tried the recount on the standalone again just to be safe but it does not appear to have affected the post_position column. Every row still says 0.

(I got “Removing deleted topics from user favorites… Failed!” but I assume this does not have anything to do with my issue.)

Do I need to write a simple script that looks at each topic_id, ordered by post_time, and then insert 1, 2, 3, 4… etc. into post_position? Or should the recount have taken care of this?

I guess at this point this is not bbpress 2.0 related (or is it?) so if I should create a new topic on this, please let me know.

johan.ruda
    Participant

@johanruda

Is there any way of setting permissions for users at this time (with the bbpress 2 beta)?

As in, people who are not logged in should not be able to read the forums.

@kai920 – Go to the tools/recount area of your stand alone installation, and run all of the recount functions there (just to be on the safe side.)

I wrote a quick script (took me a lot longer than it should have) to re-populate the post_position column. If anyone needs it let me know. My ’empty first post’ problem is solved. Thanks everyone who helped!

Can this be used with wp role manager or similar? I would like to set up a closed forum for authors.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@johan & depex – Similar answers to both of your questions. You should be able to use some kind of plugin to provide those capabilities, yes. But, nothing in the core of bbPress to allow you to set the scope of them yet.

Daniel Juhl
    Participant

@danieljuhl

@JJJ, what exactly is it idea for Hidden and Private forums? As I can see, it’s only the administrator who has access to them, and there is no way to add user groups or users to a hidden or private forum. Or am I missing something?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@danieljuhl – The hidden and private forum support is more-or-less baked into bbPress core to provide that functionality to other plugins, most notably BuddyPress which uses them for public and private group forums. There’s a high likelihood the forum visibility option will be hidden from bbPress 2.0, with the option for developers or other plugins to enhance that functionality.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Jamie Marsland
    Participant

@jamesmarsland

Just installed beta 2…. lovely so far :)

Could we get a list of files that have changed in the changelog? For those of us who have had to make certain modifications to some core files, it would be extremely helpful.

Thank,

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@Jonathan – No. You should *never* modify core files, ever. If you’re modifying the core, you should share what you’re changing and why, so someone can show you a better way, or we can improve the core. If you’re creating a custom theme based on the core files, then until 2.0 drops you’re on your own to monitor the traclog and see what changes might impact you.

Yeah sorry, poor wording on my part. I think of “core” as meaning “any file that came with bbP” but that’s not really accurate. I’m modifying the various page template files, CSS, and a few minor modifications to the files in mytheme/bbpress/. Oh and I did modify the replies widget, but only so I could make it a fixed size and give it an overflow. There’s probably a better way to do that but I just needed a quick solution that I could do myself.

So basically when a file like page-front-forums.php changes, I need to know so that I can incorporate those changes into my version for my theme, or vice versa.

Traclog seems to be pretty much what I was asking for anyway, so thanks for pointing it out.

Jonathan

Jamie Marsland
    Participant

@jamesmarsland

Hi,

I will want to run this instead of default bbpress on buddypress going forward. Can you let us know the rough roadmap for integrating / separating bbpress from buddypress and how this will work for existing sites and new site.

tks

j

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@tooltrainer – The “quick solutions” are still no reason to modify core files. Trust me when I say, and stress, very heavily, that modifying the core files is only going to cause headaches.

@jamesmarsland – Timeline is probably July or August. Right now you can run them together, and turn off the BuddyPress forums component, and things will work perfectly. Here are a few scenarios:

1. Install bbPress 2.0. Keep both BuddyPress and bbPress 2.0 active. Have two separate, disconnected forums. One using the same old way with group forums, the other specifically for your site. This is how I am currently running http://testbp.org.

2. Ditch BuddyPress Group Forums, and don’t allow new groups to create forums. Use the bundled import tool in bbPress 2.0 to move your existing group forums into bbPress 2.0, and systematically/manually edit each forum down so everything lives where you want it to.

3. Wait until we’re able to update BuddyPress to talk directly to bbPress 2.0, and take control of it like it does now with bbPress 1.0.

Ideally BuddyPress will come with a very generalized “forum” component in the next version, that will act as an API for any forum software to connect to it. There are only a few functions that it needs to use, so it shouldn’t take too long to switch up.

Jamie Marsland
    Participant

@jamesmarsland

Thanks John, think i will go for option 2 for now.

j

Jamie Marsland
    Participant

@jamesmarsland

Sorry 1 more question…

Where is the bundled import tool in bbPress 2.0?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Tools > Import

:)

May I ask a simple question ?

I install my wordress here:

mysite.com/wordpress/

To help to the bbpress plugin in wordpress to work. I need to install my bbpress forum here ? :

mysite.com/bbpress/

Or in a new folder here ? :

mysite.com/wordpress/bbpress/

Last, just to be sure:

First, WordPress install

Second, BBpress install

Third, bbpress wordpress plugin install and activation

Right ?

Thank you

Chris.

@Chrisdfr – if you are using the bbPress plugin (i.e. NOT the standalone), I would just download it directly from the WordPress backend by going to mysite.com/wordpress/wp-admin. Then Plugins > Add New > Search for ‘bbPress’ and Install :)

Jamie Marsland
    Participant

@jamesmarsland

@jjj oh yes …thank you!

hello ,

thank you for your work

i need a new option, wich is new user post’s post validation (for 2week, or 1month max) , the iam is ti prevent my forum forum spam…

thank you in advance

@kai920 – I’m using the bbPress plugin, directly from WordPress. Anyway, guess the plugin is only a integration interface and not the Forum itself. I was not sure where the forum should be installed. Inside the wordpress directory or outside ? It was not a question about the plugin, but the forum.

You can not edit the profile (in bbPress 2 beta 1 and beta 2). I get an error: “Password can not be empty”, despite the fact that it does not change the password…

Even as I give a good password, the same message.

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

@Pawel

Good catch, I’m sure JJ will look into this one

@Chrisdfr: It sounds like you’re installing the plugin to integrate bbPress standalone with WordPress, not the forum itself. bbPress-as-plugin is only a beta right now, so despite what kai says I don’t know if it can be installed from within WordPress.

The name of the plugin should be just “bbPress”.

Viewing 25 replies - 926 through 950 (of 1,184 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Updates’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar