Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Updates

Viewing 25 replies - 701 through 725 (of 1,184 total)

• christopher jon

@christopher-jon

A little request/suggestion, a dedicated 2.0 forum to get some conversations going.

It might get confusing mixing up topics between versions.

Plugin is looking fantastic and everything is working accordingly, however I’m still having problems with the “Create New Topic” form appearing on the Forum Index page. This was not there before.

Going into a Forum Category does not display the “Create New Topic” form and displays the forums in the category which is correct as this was resolved.

Going into a SubForum displays the “Create New Topic” form which is also correct as this was also resolved.

Could you confirm whether the “Create New Topic” form is supposed to appear on the Forum Index Page?

Once again, thank you for making this fantastic plugin.

Discovered a new bug, it appears that all replies are getting the same topic as parent. I don’t think that this was the case before, but not 100% sure.

EDIT: So here’s the thing. When migrating from standalone I can’t access replies, only if I write a new reply can I access it.

But the problem is when writing this new reply, all other replies gets the same topic as the new one I wrote.

Don’t know if this is an issue with the migration script or if it’s something with bbpress plugin, I will cross-link this to the other forum topic.

I solved my problem for the bbPress plugin not showing up in my wp-plugins directory.

(local MAMP)

When i changed localhost -> localhost:8889 in my wp-config.php file it works.

I don’t know if that was the correct error but it working for me at this moment.

define(‘DB_HOST’, ‘localhost:8889’);

Good job everybody that is working on this code.

Looks pretty good so far..

Only one little ‘problem’ report..

I think everybody will be able to install a WP site + bbPress forum in the feature in just a few clicks ;)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@jaja – Thanks :)

@christopher jon – Still haven’t decided which way to go with that yet. The need isn’t quite there yet I don’t think, but soon. :)

I run a fairly active PHPBB3 forum. I’ve been playing with bbPress a bit, I really like it, and am looking forward to this launch of bbPress as a WordPress plugin :) (The biggest headache with a PHPBB3 forum is it’s complexity when it comes to add-ons and upgrades, which WordPress and bbPress have made simple.)

The big question on my mind, and probably many others… Will there be a plugin/tool for converting from PHPBB3 to bbPress?

I am sure there will be new ones but there is one out there which does work.

That can be located in the

http://code.google.com/p/phpbb3-to-bbpress1-converter/downloads/detail?name=phpbb3-to-bbpress1-converter_v2.zip&can=2&q=

I found that when looking for a solution to move a vbulletin forum to bbpress beings I was in the midst of changing to wordpress for all of my sites functions.

That link is here – http://www.ericm.ca/2010/05/31/vbulletin-4-to-bbpress-and-wordpress-integration/

As long as you are doing it per the instructions, it works perfect. I have done it twice now on test sites. The only glitch I hit was on my new site the WP and BBP integration is already there so I don’t have a bb_users table which is the first thing the converter is looking for. I was going to ask for some help with that from the maker as I have by forums and users stuck now in a PHPBB forum and can not get them into WP or BBP as far as I can tell.

I have no idea how all that will play with the new plugin but I am hoping to get my site on track and then move to the plugin at some point.

Hope this helps.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Just a note for all: There are importers for phpBB from almost anything, so just import your forums to that, then use the converter for phpBB -> bbPress standalone and then convert bbPress standalone -> bbPress plugin. That’s the way it could work right now, but can be simplified later. :)

@gautam is there a specific converter from phpbb to bbpress convertor other than the one I mentioned?

Just so you all know, I was able to work out my issue I mentioned. So that one does work. Have not tried the new plug in. Maybe later on.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Just put some finishing touches on breadcrumbs in theme compat. All that’s left to do is add the topic-tags to theme compat, and zero out the tickets in trac. Also updated the first post of this topic with status.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Rick: That’s the only one I know of.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Topic tag theme compat is now in the plugin repo. It’s new and uses some weird hacks to pull off (since we need to make sure it plays nicely with existing tax queries) so be sure to play with it.

Just a question:

If this bbPress plugin goes Live will there be some different folder inside the bbPress folder to place future plugin’s?

something like this:

wp-content > plugins (plugins for WordPress only)

wp-content > plugins > bbpress > bbp-plugins (plugins for bbPress only)

Because i was looking at the bbPress-signature plugin and it works very good only what if this bbPress plugin will get very successful and lots of people start making plugin’s for the bbPress forum plugin only (just like bbPress stand alone) Then we have in a few months more then 50 different plugin’s inside the plugins folder and you can’t see very clear what plugin is for what part of the website. (WP or BBP)

Just some small and fast thinking of my side..

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Jaja: I think it would work in the way BuddyPress works, i.e. placing plugins for BuddyPress in wp-content/plugins too.

Who to active akismet to form-topic.php ?

thinks

A few things…

1. Crazy suggestion, could we please please rename the “bbPress Plugin” to something else? When attempting to google for information on issues surrounding it, it’s effectively impossible since all you get is “standalone” bbP info. Them sharing the same name when they are utterly different things, is a real drag. I realize this has been discussed elsewhere and is rather hotly debated, personally I suggest it ONLY to make finding information in search engines actually somewhat possible.

2. Is there or could there be a way to “lock” the entire forum, in case of maintenance etc.? I don’t want to lock down my entire site, just the forum, in case I have to do some hacking & slashing and don’t want anyone posting new forum content while I do so. Suggestions?

3. I can’t seem to add Forums as WP menu items. What’s really odd is I’ve clearly done it before, as I have over a dozen items all labeled “Forum” in my WP nav hierarchy in the Menus page. But now, I’m unable to figure out how to add forums or topics to the WP nav. What am I missing here?

Thanks everyone, here’s to 1.0!!

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

1. No. :) The stand-alone 1.x branch of code will still be actiely maintained as needed, and is still a great piece of software. The plugin version will (most likely) get inflated to 2.0 to give us something better to refer to it as. A new generation of bbPress doesn’t change the spirit of the project, just the ease of integration with WordPress.

2. If you deactivate the plugin, your forums will essentially be deactivated too. A dedicated maintenance mode sounds like a good idea for a plugin though.

3. I’ll take a look at this. Noticed it myself a few days ago, so it’s on the radar.

The bbPress plugin for WordPress isn’t showing up on search results because there just isn’t a lot of buzz about it yet. That will (hopefully) change after it’s released into the plugins repo and is available to a larger audience.

Yeah I didn’t exactly expect a “yes” to #1. =) I just wish it had SOME kind of unique moniker we could all adopt to refer to it ass… “bbPp2” maybe, or something. ANYTHING! There’s actually more stuff about it than you might expect, it’s just super duper hard to find.

Deactivating the forums could work I suppose, hadn’t thought of that. Maybe temporarily re-slug the page containing it and put up a “Down for Maintenance” page instead under the old slug. That would probably work nicely now that I think about it.

Glad (sortof anyway ;) to hear I’m not the only one who saw the missing Forums in the menus page. I’m potentially days away from my site going live and I really need to add a few forums to my nav, so I hope you might be able to track this one down fast.

Thanks as always for the speedy response!

Jonathan

I have installed the plugin bbpress but if i active anounimous post i have 30 spam / day

plyse who to active akismet in form-topic ?

thanks

christopher jon

@christopher-jon

“Glad (sortof anyway ;) to hear I’m not the only one who saw the missing Forums in the menus page.”

The quick fix is changing line 514 in bbpress.php to…

‘show_in_nav_menus’ => true,

It’s currently set to false.

Just create a page and copy over the page template from the default theme:)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@christopher-jon – Fixed. :)

@Christopher Jon

Thanks for the quick fix!!!

alanchrishughes

@alanchrishughes

“I know it is still not finished, but I was just playing around with a local installation and had bbpress up and working, but when I activated Buddypress it completely stopped bbPress, pages would just redirect to the blog’s front page.”

OK this is weird, users can’t create topics in my forums anymore. When they try, the page refreshes and they’re just shown their same topic creation form with their content still in it, but nothing is ever created.

Also, I can’t create a topic that contains apostrophes or quotes in the title or body. They come back escaped, and when I try to save again, it escapes again, ad infinitum! Is there something crazy going on with a sanitization routine or something?

Not sure if these two issues are related but if anyone can steer me in the right direction on either of them, I’d sure appreciate it. I thought I was ready to go live but wouldn’t you know it… 11th hour troubles!

Jonathan

P.S.

This is only referring to creating topics via the normal front-end of the site. I can create them in the admin backend just fine.

P.P.S.

Replies work just fine, it’s only creating topics that users are unable to do.

Viewing 25 replies - 701 through 725 (of 1,184 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Updates’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar