Search Results for '"wordpress"'
-
Search Results
-
There are way too many integration questions lately so I am going to try to gather some current info here.
This is an unofficial help guide to try to make a fairly straightforward operation as painless as possible. Feel free to contribute and we’ll edit as necessary.
There is a “power user” shortcut below, but I am also going to try to explain more of the concepts so integration is less “magic” and easier to understand.
With bbPress 0.9, integration is “officially” supported and there is an attempt to make it much easier to accomplish during install but it’s not flawless by any means because of the wide range of possible configurations by users.
update: for adventurous bbPress users, a 1.0 alpha is available that should integrate with WordPress 2.6 – however it is not possible to downgrade back to bbPress 0.9 (because of database changes) afterwards so please keep that in mind – also there are three new items that have to be sync’ed between WP 2.7 and bb 1.0
As of February 2009 it is now possible to use WordPress 2.6, 2.7 or 2.8 with bbPress 0.9 where previously you had to use the unstable bbPress 1.0 alpha. Although WordPress has radically changed the way cookies are used in those versions compared to 2.5, you can either downgrade the WordPress cookie method to the one used in 2.5 via this plugin or you can allow bbPress 0.9 to use the newer WordPress cookies via this plugin.
Keep in mind if you are already using bbPress 1.0 you cannot simply downgrade to bbPress 0.9 because of database changes. However you can always upgrade from bbPress 0.9 to 1.0, so please start with 0.9 instead of 1.0 alpha when possible.
To integrate with WordPress 2.3 see here for extra instructions..
ATTENTION PHP 4 users with WordPress 2.5.0 (aka 2.5)
You MUST upgrade to 2.5.1 – there is a compatibility bug.
Assuming you have access to your bbPress admin area, virtually all integration adjustments (as of 0.9) after installation can now be made at
http://your-website-url.com/your-bbpress-directory/bb-admin/options-wordpress.phpIf you’ve lost admin access or it’s not working correctly, most adjustments can be done instead via simple edits to the bb-config.php (and wp-config.php) files. I personally prefer this
bb-config.phpmethod because it will override any mistakes in the database regardless.TABLE OF CONTENTS:
- Instant Integration for Power Users
- Regular, Reverse & Complex Integration
- Levels (or Depth) of Integration
- Installation locations for WordPress vs bbPress
- The Shared User List (table)
- WordPress & bbPress Cookies
- Integrating WordPress and bbPress Roles
- Loss of Admin Access
- Users Registered via bbPress appear as “anonymous” in WordPress
- Security Considerations when Integrated
.
(there is also a wealth of experience available via the “integration” tag on the forum here)
Topic: Adding bbPress to WordPress
I know this is on the forum but for the life of me i just cannot find it. But I need to show the latest threads on my wordpress site.
I remember there was something like adding one line to the wp config file or something like that. does anyone know how to go about doing this and show the latest threads?
thanks
I recently installed bbpress as I was already using a wordpress blog and wanted to add a simple forum to my site. As a strictly technophobic, *simple* was the key point!
After installing bbpres successfully, I thought it would be nice to integrate the 2. I followed the instructions, but now find when I log-in to the forum as admin I only get an ordinary users rights, ie I can no longer access the admin screens, even if I try to access the url/bb-admin.
Is there any way I can restore admin rights? or cancel the integration and put thing back as they were? Would a complete re-installation solve the problem? And if so would I lose the forum posts I already put up?
I’m not meaning to be rude or anything but I’m struggling to understand why two bits of software made by the same company are so hard to integrate? I’ve never managed to get integration working fully and I always get to the point where users who registered through the forum post on the WordPress blog show up as Anonymous… which basically renders the whole process pointless. I’ve managed to get WordPress and vBulletin to integrate seamlessly, but not bbPress.
bbPress and WordPress are both great pieces of software in their own right, but when it comes to integration with each other they are pretty weak. For example, the new bbPress isn’t compatible with WordPress 2.6 because of an issue with cookie management in WordPress… for the integration to work we now have to wait for bbPress to release an update which according to a moderator on here will be a while away.
There are also so many unsolved integration threads here that it’s very difficult to find any one collection of possible solutions. I appreciate the amount of work that goes into this kind of software and time required to provide support. I’m just feeling a bit frustrated