Re: bbPress 1.0 released
Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)
This is NOT an attempt to knock _ck_ (any more than she meant to diss on Sam), as her points are totally valid and, in fact, I’m a member of ‘If it ain’t broke…’ If you’re ON .9 and everything works and you’re happy, then STAY. If you have needs that can no longer be met by .9, however, you may need to start looking into 1.0. There’s a reason that some people are still on WP 1.5ish releases. It works and they’re happy. There’s nothing wrong with it.
My reasons to use 1.0
1. You haven’t installed bbPress yet, so you don’t have an existing stable site.
2. You don’t actually use a lot of plugins anyway.
3. You can integrate with WP 2.8 and WPMU without having to hack the bbPress cookies (thanks to WP changing things all over the dang place…)
4. The Admin area ‘matches’ WP and, lets face it, pretty is better
5. If you’re going to write new plugins for bb, you may as well write them for the release version since that’s the way it’s going to be.
6. While it is slower, we’re not talking ‘it now takes 3 minutes to load a page’ like some bbs out there. And it’s still faster than WP.
7. Given the speed of servers these days, you may not ever notice the DB queries.
8. No matter how long you spend debugging, you’re never going to find all the bugs until something’s used for real by hundreds of users, so months vs years really doesn’t mean as much as you might think. Now DAYS versus months… Still, until a lot of people get out there and try to use it for weird ways, 1.0 won’t be as well tested as 0.9, but that’s true of any new release of software.
9. RC seems rushed, with a lot of slapped up fixes, but that’s because a group of us were out there breaking things for the rest of you. The major kinks are fixed.
10. Once you bite the bullet, the small upgrade to 1.0.1 (which is inevitable and we all know it) will seem like nothing.
11. You really want to see that download counter MOVE!
Okay, so some of mine are for the amusing side.
I’ve been on the 1.0 train since I started, since at the time you couldn’t do 2.7 WP and 0.9 BB. I’ve never had a major OMG! show stopper problem and I think bbPress is far far better than the old systems I’ve used. Small, simple, easy.
Thanks to Sam and also SO many thanks to _ck_ for her patience with stupid questions