Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Updates

Viewing 25 replies - 826 through 850 (of 1,184 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@CrownOfMars – Looks like depending on how your forums are setup, that WordPress is doing some canonical redirecting. I’ll see what I can do to prevent that from happening here.

One more thing :P

The Recent Posts widget on my sidebar gets the following errors:

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/120506/domains/stephenjohnmartin.com/html/spa/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-includes/bbp-forum-functions.php on line 799

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #2 is not an array in /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/120506/domains/stephenjohnmartin.com/html/spa/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-includes/bbp-forum-functions.php on line 799

Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in /nfs/c08/h01/mnt/120506/domains/stephenjohnmartin.com/html/spa/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-includes/bbp-forum-functions.php on line 802

The widget works it’s just that these errors are shown above it.

They don’t appear when i’m logged in.

kriskl
    Participant

@kriskl

@John

I am glad the problem about forum/forum slug came up.

I have the same issue, and another poster who shared link to his site, also seem to suffer from this:

Configuration/Tuning

etc..

thanks for looking into this

kind regards

Kris

@jjj you mentioned above that you don’t need to create a Forums page?

From older posts I thought that was the only way to make this work and with that I also moved things around and added in the code you mention to my functions.php. While things seem to show up they do so just like CrownofMars with the Blog Archive thing.

I too had the forums/forum thing and believe I killed that by deleting all the slugs listed in the settings and saving.

My issue is I can’t get to my main Forum page at all. I keep getting either redirected to the stupid Group forum directory or the second forum I made and it’s noted a Blog Archive.

I think I am going to back track a little and retry things without moving template files around and so on. Maybe that was needed in an earlier version?

I would love to get my forum page looking like this http://archaudio.org/forums/. That one looks nice. I haven’t achieved that yet.

Ok well, I will probably go insane with this. I started from the beginning and have not moved anything or created a page.

What I have is the following –

http://crosseyedgaming.com/forum/

That surely is not the correct forum homepage.

Due to my theme should I be moving files or creating a page?

Both?

Something else?

It’s a great thing but I can’t open it up and use it looking like that and no navigation to and from the other forums.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@CrownOfMars – Try the latest revision and let me know if it’s fixed for you. Was a regression from fixing something else.

@Rick Lewis – You haven’t started over, because you still have a custom theme. It looks to me like you still have

add_theme_support( 'bbpress' );

in your custom theme, even though you don’t have any bbPress files in your custom theme to actually provide bbPress support.

Using the add_theme_support() method is what tells bbPress not to use its own internal files, and just let WordPress do its thing and figure it out. In that case, bbPress will follow the normal template hierarchy for WordPress (archive.php, index.php, etc…)

So you either…

1. Copy the bbPress files out of the bbp-twentyten folder into your custom theme and use the add_theme_support() method, which allows you to use page templates.
    2. Don’t move anything, don’t add anything, and use shortcodes and adjust your CSS as needed.
    3. Create your own completely custom method of handling bbPress, which is possible to do but way more work than it’s probably worth doing unless you need something *really* tricked out.

yes I went through the process and when leaving it all be it wasn’t done properly so I started adding things back.

No matter what I seem to do I am not getting the Forum index page to show as others are. Has to be me not doing it right.

r-a-y
    Participant

@r-a-y

@RickLewis

In my case, for the forum index, I had to create a WP page with the same page slug as the bbPress forum base slug (located in “Settings > Forums”).

On that page, I used this shortcode:

[bbp-forum-index]

I’m not sure if this is supposed to be generated automatically by bbPress during activation. JJJ, can you confirm if this is the case or not?

Thanks very

christopher jon

@christopher-jon

Is there a way to list all users and users currently logged in?

” Don’t move anything, don’t add anything, and use shortcodes and adjust your CSS as needed. “

This is where I am at right now.

I thought I would try [bbp-forum-index]. I created a page Forum and used that code. I still got the same page as I did all other ways. Goes directly to one of the forums and then list the other forums below it. Says Blog archive across the top.

Now when I create /forums (note the s) that page goes to my home page and not a page at all.

I did a re-save of the permalinks and so on but still not seeing a forum homepage of any kind.

I can only guess that I have something crossed up somewhere beings others have this working.

EDITING __ I did not see the above posts prior to posting this. Going to review and make a change on my site and see how it goes. Thank you for the help.

The instructions r-a-y mentioned above worked.

I had at one point removed the Forum Base blug altogether. Putting it back as forum and creating a forum page using the shortcode created the page for the index.

Would like to know what other shortcode options there are??

thanks for the help. Good to have a forum index now to start building on.

I just wanted to note that the only way this works for me is to go into settings and add a forum base and check the include base before slugs box.

If don’t check that box i end up at my homepage.

When I do check that box and have the fields under it empty which it says will use defaults the urls come out like this –

http://crosseyedgaming.com/forums//welcome-committee/

Note the double // which creates a page not found.

When I add slugs http://crosseyedgaming.com/forums/forum/welcome-committee/

and they all go to the homepage.

If I remove the check I can get to my subpages for the forum but the index page will not show. It goes to one of the created forums frontpage and in the title says – Crosseyed Gaming | Blog versus — Crosseyed Gaming | Forum

It seems to me there is something going wrong within the settings for the slugs and rewrites either in the plug in , my site or both.

Daily Anarchist

@daily-anarchist

Hello!

I just installed the plugin because I couldn’t wait any longer. So far I haven’t found any glitches. It seems to work quite nicely and fits into the rest of my website as if it were just another page.

The only problem I see with it right now is aesthetics. It looks terrible on my website. I suppose that is because it is being governed by the same css that governs the rest of my website’s content.

I am hoping that I can either do something right now to make it match better, or that something will get done in the future to make it match better. For example, here is a single post:

http://dailyanarchist.com/2011/05/10/the-success-story-of-sovereign-curtis/

and here is an example of a forum post:

http://dailyanarchist.com/topic/hello-daily-anarchists/

I am hoping one day to make the forum post look just like, or at least a lot like, the single post.

Is it possible for me to do now? Or do I need to wait?

Secondly, I haven’t figured out how to transfer a forum post to the blog, or single post yet. Can somebody clue me in on how to do that?

Lastly, I read somewhere that the plugins for the standalone version of bbpress are not compatible with the plugin. Understandable. But is this true also for WordPress plugins? For example, I am running a Gravatar plugin for wordpress and would really like to have gravatars for my forum section. Is this a no go? Also, will there ever be plugins FOR the plugin? How would that work?

Thanks for the plugin and for all of the help!

christopher jon

@christopher-jon

DA,

Looks like your missing the CSS. Check out the child theme functions.php to grab the code.

bbpress uses gravatars for forum icons. No additional plugin is needed.

Daily Anarchist

@daily-anarchist

It’s a fresh install with the 3167 changeset. I’m not quite sure what you mean by “check out the child theme functions.php to grab the code.”

I’m kind of a perpetual noob so bare with me. =)

Also, if I do already have the function.php code installed, could it be that my site’s css is overpowering the plugin’s css?

christopher jon

@christopher-jon

Nevermind, ignore me. Looks like some changes were made with how the plugin interacts with themes now.

But, your site is missing the forum CSS for some reason.

Daily Anarchist

@daily-anarchist

My theme is the default theme, but highly modified. Reading back a little bit it looks like Rick Lewis and I might have the same problem, that we need to figure out how to let the bbpress css do its own thing, yet my website’s css is taking it over, which is what’s messing it up.

JJJ gave three options to remedy the situation, the third option not being possible for me, and the first two doable, but a little bit over my head.

Do you know what’s causing the gravatars not to show up, the css maybe?

Daily Anarchist

@daily-anarchist

For whoever is interested, one of the links I provided above no longer works because I deleted the post. I’m still playing around with things to get a feeling for how they work. Everything seems to be working great, except my WP css has taken over and prevents bbP css from working. Also, the gravatars are not showing up, but that is also like a problem of the css.

Here is a link that does work to show what my forum topic looks like. You’ll notice the css is exactly the same as my blog posts.

http://dailyanarchist.com/forums/topic/css-is-the-problem/

If anybody can help clarify to a noob like me exactly what I need to do to make the bbP css work its magic I would be eternally grateful. I am running a modified default WP theme.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@Daily Anarchist – Your theme doesn’t use a conventional WordPress header, and it’s missing the appropriate call to

wp_head();

which is how WordPress themes load dynamic content in the

<head>

of the page.

There is also no reference anywhere in your source to a wp-content folder, which is where your theme and any related plugins should be loading from. With something that’s this outside of the norm, you’re going to run into lots of incompatibilities with many plugins as you go. I’m actually pretty happy that bbPress looks as good as it does considering there’s no CSS applied to it at all. :)

As a general note going forward to everyone, if you have site specific questions please post up new topics and tag them ‘plugin’ so that we keep this sticky focused on the bbPress plugin, and not supporting your sites. Thanks :)

Daily Anarchist

@daily-anarchist

The header that I am using is a modified version of the default theme header file that came with wordpress. It should be in the same location and called by the same name as the default header file. I am sort of a noob at code but I thought because my header file appears at on the index/home page when the website loads that things were working. By “appropriate call to” do you mean the “get_header” php command?

Secondly, the entire theme is located in the wp-content folder within a default theme sub folder. That is why there is no reference. Again, I am probably really confused by what you mean so it is probably something I am doing wrong.

The entire site may be a hack job, because it is my first, but up to this point everything has worked flawlessly, including all of my plugins.

I suspect there is a simple solution to preventing the WP css from overriding bbP css but I haven’t figured it out yet.

Quick question, are there plans to have a “preview” mode for people when they are writing posts? I had a user request it and frankly I hadn’t realized there wasn’t one (I rarely ever use them myself).

Is such a feature on the roadmap?

Thanks,

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@tooltrainer – Possibly, but not for the first release. The way WordPress handles this is by pre-saving drafts, which means we’d need to build draft support into user profiles too. Not impossible, but would need to be thought through.

@jjj – I must say I’m incredibly impressed with bbPress, and what you have here. I eagerly want to use the bbPress / BuddyPress plugin combo in conjunction with a few wordpress sites that I work on.

Do you have any idea what a rough timeframe on launching the plugin would be?

Also, what could I do to help move the process along? I don’t code myself but I do work with guys that do. We figure its a waste of time to get a bbPress standalone working only to have the plugin released soon after.

I just wanted to give some feedback on what I have experienced while trying to figure out the issues with links not working.

first, you can not have group forums activated and use this at the same time. Atleast I couldn’t. The base for the group forums is FORUMS. Note the S so if you try and use Forums for your page and/or forum base you are not going to get the BBP forum.

I had to turn the global group forum directory off and use forum as the base in order to get the links pasted the forum index page to work. Otherwise all links redirected to my homepage.

Currently though I have this structure —

index page – using shortcode

the other links have a double forum/forum

http://crosseyedgaming.com/forum/forum/welcome-committee/

If I remove the forum slug it changes those links to

http://crosseyedgaming.com/forum//welcome-committee/

Outside that things seem to be working ok. Probably need to clean up the look a little.

How do I get the widgets working on these pages so I can list recent posts and so on?

One last question, is using the alternated page template and theme support a better option?

I appreciate the help.

Viewing 25 replies - 826 through 850 (of 1,184 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Updates’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar