Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Updates

Viewing 25 replies - 501 through 525 (of 1,184 total)
  • Is this plugin fully completed?? I thought it was meant to be completed in December! I don’t see it at wordpress.org. What happens for people that had deep integration and had a wordpress blog as well as bbpress operating?

selise
    Participant

@selise

thanks for what looks to be a great plugin. my question is on the bbPress Twenty Ten theme: it looks like it is a child theme of the Twenty Ten theme (references the twentyten template). is that the case (and intention)? if so, does that mean i won’t be able to write child themes for bbPress Twenty Ten (or use the child themes already written for Twenty Ten)?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

The bbp-twentyten theme is currently a child theme, but will most likely be a parent theme and include all of the updated twentyten’s theme files in addition to the bbPress ones. Granted, that’s going to crowd the theme up with a ton of files, but that’s kind of just what happens when you add a ton of functionality.

selise
    Participant

@selise

“The bbp-twentyten theme is currently a child theme, but will most likely be a parent theme”

that’s great news, thanks!

Hi! Is it currently possible to change the slug from ‘forums’ to something else?

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

MotaBoy, yes, in Settings -> Forums.

mark_corbin

@mark_corbin

Thanks Ben, that’s great, I’d not come across that notation before.

Second question: I’d like, for filtering content on different pages, to have an is_forum_page() function which returns true if the current page is in the whole forum environment – there’s not one of these built already? And any advice on the best way to construct one?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Try bbp_is_forum() :)

Otherwise, because of other plugins like BuddyPress it’s hard to know exactly if we’re in *any* bbPress page without running through all the _is_ functions first. I have it set ‘bbPress’ as the body class if a bbPress page is detected, but that happens pretty late in the game. Would be better off checking for a specific _is_ and going from there.

selise
    Participant

@selise

my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. how will wp user roles map to bbpress plugin functions (start new topic, etc)?

Could someone tell me what the code is to display the recent forum entries in the sidebar? (without using the widget system)

I’m waiting for an alpha release with auto-update in WordPress… is there any estimated date? Thank you very much for your work.

mark_corbin

@mark_corbin

Thanks JJJ!

One more thing’s been bugging me: I want anyone to be able to register on the forum, but no ‘register’ link appears on the bbpress log-in widget, or for example after links that say ‘sorry, need to be signed in to post comments’ .

There seems to be a template file for a bbp registration form, and I’ve tried guessing but I can’t work out the link to it!

So

1. Is this by design, have I got an option wrongly ticked somewhere?

2. Could you let me know the link to a registration form if there is one – otherwise I could use the standard wp registration link

3. Is it worth me searching through the code trying to add in a few links in the right places, is there one quick-win place to this? I guess priority for me is to get the link in the sign-in widget.

I’m tempted to try to create or use a lightbox registration/log-in process anyway, but I need a much shorter term solution (small numbers of people might register from Friday)

Thanks for your help folks, love this software

Mark

Anonymous User 5853594
    Inactive

@anonymized-5853594

With the page templates, you can make a seperate login and registration page.

Just create a new page and look under:

“Page Attibutes” > “Template” > “bbPress – User Register”

With the other templates you can create pages for all kinds of other functions for your blog.

Any ideas on pulling users favourite/created/subscribed topics somewhere other than the users page?

This is the code for created from the users page which shows 0 results elsewhere, presumably because it doesn’t know what user I want.

<?php bbp_set_query_name( 'bbp_user_profile_topics_created' ); ?>

<?php if ( bbp_get_user_topics_started() ) :

get_template_part( 'loop', 'bbp_topics' );

else : ?>

<p><?php bbp_is_user_home() ? _e( 'You have not created any topics.', 'bbpress' ) : _e( 'This user has not created any topics.', 'bbpress' ); ?></p>

<?php endif; ?>

<?php bbp_reset_query_name(); ?>

I’ve had success going the custom post types route with…

<?php query_posts( 'post_type=bbp_topic&posts_per_page=5&author_name=' . $username ); ?>

<?php if ( have_posts() ) : while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>

" title="<?php the_title(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?>

<?php endif; ?>

Which works, if all I want is the title, but not the correct way I’m guessing :)

mralexweber
    Participant

@mralexweber

Hey JJJ/everyone!

Just got the plugin working on our server and for the most part, everything works. Exciting!

However, something that puzzled me was the “profiles”. My guess is that this version they are going to be separate pages from BuddyPress profile pages (yes, we’re also using BP) and later be merged when BP provides new profile functionality?

In the mean time, it looks like we’ll have to overload the bbp_author_link function… that, or hack out every instance of it, which I would prefer not to do.

If anyone could comment or guide me in the right direction, I’d be very grateful. Thanks for the great work everyone!

-mrA

mralexweber
    Participant

@mralexweber

@ch8rt, I’m just learning this plugin, but I would suggest you look at loop-bbp_topics.php (in the plugin folder structure it’s in plugin/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten/ ). Around line 16 is where the table gets created. It’ll need a little custom mojo to get it working totally right, but let us know how it goes!

mralexweber
    Participant

@mralexweber

Okay, I hate to be ‘that guy’ but I’ve gotta ask…

I created forums through the admin interface, created a page (named “forum”) and set the page template to bbPress index. So far, so good. The page loads and I can see the forums I created.

However, when I click on one of the forums, for instance, “General Discussion”, I get a 404.

I’m using the DynamiX theme and I have added the various page templates, loop templates, css, etc. from the plugin. I tested on a different subdomain and it was working, but now it’s not.

Does Twentyten somehow “create” the /forums/forum/ and /forums/topic/topic-name/ pages when it’s initialized? I looked at the functions.php included and didn’t see anything like this going on.

I have also made sure to network activate the plugin, it was previously only activated on this site. Could that be the source of the problem?

Thanks again, everyone.

I’ve you tried just resaving your permalinks? I think that has solved some of those issues.

Thanks for the suggestion above, I’ll give it a try.

Actually, that is where I’ve been looking, the trouble is that it is feed a query before being called. Like…

<?php bbp_set_query_name( 'bbp_user_profile_topics_created' ); ?>

The above example doesn’t work when I try it on another page (specifically my hacked up Buddypress Profile page).

selise
    Participant

@selise

“Does Twentyten somehow “create” the /forums/forum/ and /forums/topic/topic-name/ pages when it’s initialized?”

mralexweber – you may need to uncheck the “Include base?” option at the bottom of the admin -> settings -> forums page. anyway, that’s what i did. that and making sure my forum page slug matches the “Forum slug” at forums settings seems to have done the trick for me.

disclaimer: i’m just a general user, not a wp or bbp expert.

This is my second time asking this question along with another poster. When is the plugin to be ready and available on wordpress.org?

It was my understanding that the plugin was to be released at the end of 2010

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

QuickD – Your question has been addressed a number of times in this topic. Pushing really hard for early March for an alpha to be available.

Ringo Biz

@ringo-biz

Good to hear, thanks for great work guys!

mralexweber
    Participant

@mralexweber

Just in case anyone comes across a “404 page not found” error after installing this plugin, I was able to trace my issue to a conflict with another plugin — specifically, “Buddypress Members Directory”. I deactivated the plugin, edited the permalink of the page which I set to be forums index, and everything seems peachy-keen now.

A created a Ticket here regarding a fatal error in the plugin but it seems that it’s not visible in the list…

So I would like to post it here again:

After installing the plugin an fatal error occurs, I think that it’s a conflict between bbPress and WP_Query.

The full error is: Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in C:xampphtdocswordpress10wp-includesquery.php on line 27

I use something like this:

$args=array(

‘cat’ => $wpimpress_cat->cat_ID,

‘posts_per_page’ => 1

);

$temp = $wp_query;

$wp_query = null;

$wp_query = new WP_Query($args);

if( have_posts() ) :

while ($wp_query->have_posts()) : $wp_query->the_post();

//loop here!!!

endwhile;

endif;

$wp_query = $temp;

wp_reset_query();

Please check this, and make the plugin to work!

Viewing 25 replies - 501 through 525 (of 1,184 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Updates’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar