Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Updates

Viewing 25 replies - 301 through 325 (of 1,184 total)

• Malfunction

@malfunction

Is there anything a moderate PHP programmer / designer can do to help? Testing, coding?

Looking forward to see this plugin developed. Could use a proper forum plugin that integrates well with WordPress itself.

So.. due in 37 hours? Will you guys make it? ^^

Anyways, would be nice to get an alpha/beta release of the plugin soon. Keep it up! :)

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

@Willabee

The bleeding-edge (trunk) version is very much working. If jjj wants to release an alpha or beta, then we can. We’re already done with these points (mentioned in the first post):

1. Topic Counts
    2. Post Counts (except forum -> reply count, afaik, jjj was working on that)
    3. Voice Counts (except forum voices – I don’t think we even need those)
    4. Rough Template
    5. Admin area clean-up
    6. User’s Profiles
    7. User’s Posts
    8. User’s Favorites

And we’re also done with these or I’ve patches ready for these:

1. Front-end topic/reply creation, editing, trashing, deleting
    2. Closed/sticky/spammed topics
    3. Closed/private/category forums
    4. Spammed replies
    5. Error handling
    6. Email subscriptions
    7. Widgets
    8. Anonymous posting
    9. Front-end user editing
    10. Some part of settings page
    11. Forum moderator
    12. Merge topics
    13. View – topics with no replies (not actually a view, but a page)

And today, I’m working on:

1. Splitting topics
    2. PHPDocs/Code cleanup
    3. After that we’d be just left with these to complete (which are present in bbPress standalone):

1. Login/Registration/Password reset forms
    2. Feeds
    3. Filter the content for HTML tags
    4. Tag heat map page
    5. Tag management form (renaming/merging/deleting)
    6. View – topics with no tags
    7. Statisitcs
    8. Change the forums back-end UI to bbPress-standalone like
    9. Akismet spam checks (plugin)
    10. XMLRPC!?
    11. Properly integrated pingbacks
    12. Complete the settings page

For more details, you can checkup the commit log.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

I’ve opened up tickets for all those things, you can view the todo things here.

intimez
    Participant

@intimez

I downloaded branches_plugin-2743 and testing once again

I installed in subfolder and created a forum called general and getting the following url: http://www.example.com/bbtest/forums/forum/general

Why forums/forum?

Also [edit, sticky, move] are greyed out for topics.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

@intimez

Regarding forums/forum, that’s gonna be an option. You could remove the root slug (i.e. forums) from all the slugs, once we just add it.

And regarding [edit, sticky, move], I said “And we’re also done with these or I’ve patches ready for these“. If you want to test these, just register up on my demo forums, I’ve set the default role as Forum Moderator, so you’d see those links. :-)

intimez
    Participant

@intimez

@Gautam Sorry, didn’t see that you already have something for the edit/sticky/move.

Also Topics [Close, Spam] should be hidden from subscribers in the dashboard. Right now it’s visible and when clicked on, they get a message You do not have the permission to do that!

Is that already on trac? If not, I can file it.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

@intimez

That shouldn’t be actually happening because of this check. Can you please double check that?

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Oh, you’re talking about the admin-side. I’ll report that or you may, if you want to.

intimez
    Participant

@intimez

It’s in trac and I CC: you. https://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/1432

One more ticket in there for topic title that also becomes forum title when creating new topic. https://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/1433 (screenshot included)

@ Gautam

Saw that your demo forum already has categorie forums and forum children, is this possible with the trunk yet? And if so, how?

Edit: Nevermind, found out the forum children part. But not the categorie part.

alanchrishughes

@alanchrishughes

Is there a basic timeline eta on this project? All those ticket/trac/whatevers make no sense to me.

If you are talking about one reply per page style threads like creativecow.com please do not, that is the most annoying forum to follow in the world.

Someone also mentioned the forums/forum/thread problem and I agree, I would like if possible the option to just go http://www.sitename.com/forum/threadname. Not every market or group needs that much organization. And being able to rename “forum” to something else would be nice also, I don’t know if that is already possible or not, I’ve been trying to be patient and just wait until it is done.

Are you still required to use the Twenty Ten theme? Or was that just something during the development process?

Is this the version that is suppose to be compatible with Buddypress?

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

@Willabee

As I said earlier, “And we’re also done with these or I’ve patches ready for these“. I’m still doing testing etc. & I’ll post the patches once I’m finished. :-)

@alanchrishughes

If you are talking about one reply per page style threads like creativecow.com please do not, that is the most annoying forum to follow in the world.

Nothing like that. Moreover, replies per page would be an option given to the user.

Someone also mentioned the forums/forum/thread problem and I agree, I would like if possible the option to just go http://www.sitename.com/forum/threadname. Not every market or group needs that much organization. And being able to rename “forum” to something else would be nice also, I don’t know if that is already possible or not, I’ve been trying to be patient and just wait until it is done.

Yup, there would be options to edit any slug.

Are you still required to use the Twenty Ten theme? Or was that just something during the development process?

The development process is still going on, though you can port your themes very easily, you just need to add a few files.

Is this the version that is suppose to be compatible with Buddypress?

Nop, we’re focussing on the basic forum features right now. No BuddyPress integration yet (I don’t know if jjj’s working on that, but I don’t think so).

alanchrishughes

@alanchrishughes

Thanks.

Will there be basic integration at least? As in one user account for both applications? Personally that is all I have been waiting on for a project. That would be enough to get the project off the ground, then extra integrated features could come further down the line through version updates.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

The bbPress plugin will use the existing WordPress user account, with nothing extra needed.

BuddyPress integration will be extremely easy, although BuddyPress will need a few small changes to help it along. :)

alanchrishughes

@alanchrishughes

Nice. Is there a codex type deal describing what those changes are? Or do you mean a few small built in changes that you all are working on?

@alanchrishughes

BuddyPress and bbPress are two different projects, therefore its up too the user to find/make a solution for them to work together. The small changes he’s referring too is probably stuff like letting the user links go to the buddypress profile, etc..

@Gautam

One can always try. ;)

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

But as JJJ is heavily involved in both i am sure he is going to make it as easy as possible to combine the 2.

alanchrishughes

@alanchrishughes

Yeah my understanding was always that the two were going to have some obvious basic integration options, nothing heavy.

You could look at Buddypress as a bbPress plugin that gives you some extra profile information and a “wall.” And you could look at bbPress as a Buddypress plugin that allows you to address the entire site including people you haven’t friended.

@ alanchrishughes

Both are wrong. BuddyPress already allows ways for adressing the entire site in multiple ways. And bbPress already has a profile (which is the basic wordpress user profile). This can be heavily extended with the help of some coding/plugins (other then buddypress).

So again, there’s no real reason for them to “join” in any kind of way. But seeing as both of the plugins are from automattic, I see them intergrating them into each other in some sort of way. Just like akismet.

Edit: BuddyPress also already has a built in forum.

alanchrishughes

@alanchrishughes

I completely disagree with you.

I’m working on a site and have been trying to implement bbPress into my WordPress theme with no luck. Do you think I should wait for this plugin? If I do go ahead and use bbPress, will the bbPress posts be easy to integrate into the plugin?

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

@Willabee @alanchrishughes

Edit: BuddyPress also already has a built in forum.

That “built in forum” is bbPress-standalone only. BuddyPress already has the code to integrate bbPress-standalone into it, but as the bbPress-plugin is an entirely new start from scratch, that code would have to be changed if we want to itegrate bbPress-plugin into BuddyPress. That’s why I said “No BuddyPress integration yet (I don’t know if jjj’s working on that, but I don’t think so).”. jjj = John James Jacoby = lead developer of bbPress and BuddyPress.

Did it clear your confusions? :-)

intimez
    Participant

@intimez

I started from scratch and I’m trying to add it to the menu

I’ve tried

http://www.example.com/bbtest/forums

http://www.example.com/bbtest/forum

Each of them go to Page not found page.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

@intimez

I started from scratch and I’m trying to add it to the menu

Ok, here are the steps to test the plugin:

1. Upload the plugin folder to the wp-content/plugins directory & activate it.
    2. Go to Appearance -> Themes & activate the bbPress TwentyTen theme.
    3. If you’re using permalinks, go to Settings -> Permalinks and click the save button.
    4. Go to Pages -> Add new & select bbPress - Forum index in the template selection in the right side, give the page title Forums or anything and press publish. You can repeat the step to add pages like add new topic, topic index page etc.
    5. Go to Appearance -> Menu if you want to add those pages to the menu for easy navigation.
    6. Go to Forums -> Add new & write a forum title, description and press publish.
    7. Now go to your blog’s home page or that forum you created or directly here – http://www.example.com/bbtest/forums
    8. If you go to that /forums url, hopefully you’d see the forum listed which you just created and the new topic form.
    9. Browse, test & report bugs ;)

Viewing 25 replies - 301 through 325 (of 1,184 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Updates’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar