Re: bbPress 1.0 released
This is a good manual way of upgrading below.
– Create a new database, call it wordpress2 or 3 or whatever. Make sure it is different from the database in use.
– Choose Option A or B Below:
– Backup (because you’ll be overwriting the old files) your http folder the server points to.
– If your httpdocs folder is called: [httpdocs] then: mv [httpdocs] [httpdocs_backup]
– Create a new directory, with correct permissions.
– Tell your webserver to serve from this new location
– Install wordpress and bbpress and assign it to use the new wordpress database.
– Get all functionality working, like integration plug-ins etc…
– Once it all works, backup the httpdocs folder. [tar -cvjf httpdocs.bz2 httpdocs] This is a good step as you can now take these working configs and stick it into a new upgraded wordpress.
– Go back and restore the old wordpress because now you will upgrade.
– Install wordpress first. Install using the Old database name, when it asks you to upgrade the database, do so.
– Install bbpress, do the same as above.
– take your Config file from the test run above, and copy them into your upgrade.
Personally, I do a complete backup on a schedule and just manually run the script again for when I do an upgrade. This script will backup all my http/https folders, my server configs, and my database all in one shot. If anything gets messed up I just do a restore and It’s like starting from scratch. No matter how messed up things get. You might want to think about that. If there is enough demand I will gladly publish these helpful scripts.