Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Converter for Dizkus Forums

• D L
    Participant

@damon18

Since there is not a converter listed for Dizkus (Postnuke/Zikula forum module) I was wondering if anyone else had built one?

Dizkus was originally based on phpBB and the converter listed for phpBB does partially work when used against a Dizkus database.

If it hasn’t been done before is there anyone here willing to do it for a fee? I would donate the new converter back to the project.

Viewing 19 replies - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)

• HalbrookTech
    Participant

@halbrooktech

It’s been a while since I tried it, I’ll have to re-attempt it in a couple of days when I have an opportunity to try it again. As I recall, it imported the users fine, and then it looked like it was doing the posts, but after, I want to say about 150 posts, it froze there, never indicated further imports. When I checked the database tables, it didn’t appear that it actually brought the content from Dizkus over to bbPress at all.

As to the localhost problem, I mirrored the Zikula site to my local WIn 10 machine, and then tried to import on a local WP/bbP site and it didn’t do anything. Seems like it just couldn’t find data.

It’s been a while since I tried it, I’ll have to re-attempt it in a couple of days when I have an opportunity to try it again.

Cool

As I recall, it imported the users fine, and then it looked like it was doing the posts, but after, I want to say about 150 posts, it froze there, never indicated further imports. When I checked the database tables, it didn’t appear that it actually brought the content from Dizkus over to bbPress at all.

Ok, so it did something, thats a good sign in that the database name and password were correct.

If you’ve ever used Chrome/Firefox “inspect” debugger, you can right click and select “inspect” or (view the source code of the web page) and there is some extra debugging MySQL statements you will see there, if when testing you have issues take a look at the last query and include that MySQL code here when posting back, it will help determine what went wrong.

As to the localhost problem, I mirrored the Zikula site to my local WIn 10 machine, and then tried to import on a local WP/bbP site and it didn’t do anything. Seems like it just couldn’t find data.

If it can’t find any data it should thrown an error message to that affect, if you don’t select Dizkus from the dropdown menu on the importer screen and use the default AEF that can be one of the causes, another is that the database is not in the same database server as your WordPress install.

Did you import that database to your Win 10 machine or were you trying to connect to it remotely?

HalbrookTech
    Participant

@halbrooktech

I’ve finally gotten around to trying again. I lowered the number of rows to 15 at a time, since it seemed to choke on 100 at a time and it’s going well. at 1800 so far. Just looked at the database, this is gonna take awhile.. 35k entries in the DB. I may talk to the client and suggest a fresh start to the forums, since the last post int he forums was 2 years ago last monday. :/ makes me wonder why he doesn’t want to do a major overhaul on the site, since I’m offering it for free, since he’s my last Zikula client, and he’s been with me for years. Shouldn’t be TOO hard to build a new site in WordPress and start fresh..

HalbrookTech
    Participant

@halbrooktech

Well, it looks like it MAY be working, but with 35k posts in the database, it’s a bear getting it to import. I’ve given up trying to do it on the live site, will do an attempt to set up a localhost install and see if I can get that working in a few days, but some posts existed. The nature of the site, and what’s gone on with it, there’s a lot of orphaned posts 🙁 Really wish I could get the client to consider a fresh start.

Fingers crossed for your localhost test

HalbrookTech
    Participant

@halbrooktech

Yeah, I hope I can pull it off, because after asking him about trimming the fat in the forums, it seemed to take over where it left off a couple times when it would stall, and I restarted, with out checking the options to start fresh, etc. but the last time I tried it, it seemed to start from the start. In theory, if it hangs up and I restart, should it continue from where it stopped?

if it hangs up and I restart, should it continue from where it stopped?

Yes, with a caveat, if the importer is processing 100 rows at a time, you may end up with some duplicates as it will re-import that chunk again.

HalbrookTech
    Participant

@halbrooktech

I’ll keep the importer low to help on that front. With that many posts, I don’t wanna deal with more dupes than necessary

HalbrookTech
    Participant

@halbrooktech

Finally got it running on the local host. About 1/3 of the way done. The ones that stopped on me, some forums made it in, so hopefully that will be true here.

HalbrookTech
    Participant

@halbrooktech

So, it got to about 25,000 + Imported on my local host. Then it started outputing ————- in the window, and appeared to still be doing it. I checked, and only 2 posts seemed to have come in with content. There were a bunch of “”Automatically-Created Topics” in the forum tho.

The dashes ———— usually indicate that the database connection has been lost, sadly this one bug I’ve not been able to nail down with the importer to fix and give a decent warning/error message.

Basically a workaround is to open another tab in your browser to the dashboard page and refresh it every hour so and by doing so WordPress doesn’t “lose” the database connection

D L
    Participant

@damon18

Believe it or not, I’m still stuck with very old forums using Dizkus/Postnuke/Zikula and still need to move them to WordPress/bbPress.

Is there anyone willing to take this on as a paid project? I could send a database sample to check out.

D L
    Participant

@damon18

Never got it to work. I think it seemed close but never produced an actual working bbPress forum with all the topics and replies in the right places.

D L
    Participant

@damon18

But maybe it’s a good start for another try?

Give it a try and let me know what works and what doesn’t and we can try to get it working

HalbrookTech
    Participant

@halbrooktech

Has it been updated recently? Last time I tried it, did an import of users fine, but at least on a large forum, it timed out. Seemed to do some of the work, but needs some form of way to handle large forums.

D L
    Participant

@damon18

So I just setup a whole new test site, installed buddypress and bbpress

added the dizkusZK converter to the converters list

Ran it against a copy of the database that contains a dizkus forum.

got error:

WordPress database error: [Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes]
    CREATE TABLE wp_bbp_converter_translator ( meta_id mediumint(8) unsigned not null auto_increment, value_type varchar(25) null, value_id bigint(20) unsigned not null default '0', meta_key varchar(255) null, meta_value varchar(255) null, PRIMARY KEY (meta_id), KEY value_id (value_id), KEY meta_join (meta_key(191), meta_value(191)) ) DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci;

No data to cleanStarting Conversion

D L
    Participant

@damon18

It’s been so long since I tried this that I wasn’t sure what to put for table prefix, is that the table prefix of the old database or the new wp database?

I tried it both ways but the error is the same.

Viewing 19 replies - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar