Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbSync

• This is a WordPress plugin. It will not work as a plugin in bbPress. WordPress and bbPress must be integrated.

bbSync will integrate WordPress and bbPress pretty thoroughly. Any posts made on the blog will create a new topic on the forums (this supports slugs and anything else that will come). Any replies made to the topic in the forums can be shown under the WP post with <?php felbbreplies(); ?>, and it will show people’s avatars if you use Louisedade’s avatar upload plugin.

You can migrate the old synchronisation from bbPress Post and delete the unnecessary tables (this plugin keeps its data in topicmeta, with the key wp_posts).

Hoping to add stuff later, either when I want it myself or when other people want it. I want feedback if you have it! I eat my own dog food and I’m finding it delicious. Will upload as official plugin when I get access.

bbPress Post and this plugin should not be running at the same time, otherwise you’ll get duplicate topics when you blog. If you get some error about a call to member function of a non-object, there’s a good chance adding this in the middle of your bbPress’ config.php file will help:

global $bbdb;

This plugin does need configuring to do anything useful. Head to Options > bbSync and fill things in please.

http://rapidshare.com/files/35813637/bbsync.zip.html

Viewing 25 replies - 151 through 175 (of 259 total)

• vitovarducci

@vitovarducci

fel,

I changed the config file and now there are no problems creating new posts, but new topics are not created when I create a new post.

Any ideas?

mdawaffe may have sorted the somewhat ridiculous globals thing ( https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/56?replies=18#post-597 ). I see what you were saying now too jazbek, it seems obvious in retrospect. Updating plugin now (to ν).

Vito, what version of the plugin are you using?

vitovarducci

@vitovarducci

I’m using the latest version of bbsync.

Now I can’t login to the bbpress backend. It’s like it doesn’t recognize the roles anymore. I can login and view my profile and such, but can’t get into the backend.

Mmmm. Bum.

Open phpmyadmin, browse wp_usermeta, look for a very recent record for your user_id, where meta_key = capabilities and meta_value looks something like a:1:{s:6:"member";b:1;}. Then delete that and try again.

vitovarducci

@vitovarducci

Awesome. OK, so I removed the entry from the database and I was able to login like normal.

Then I went back and created a new post again to test if it would create a new topic in bbpress. No new topic. And it wouldn’t let me login to the backend again.

So I went back and removed the capabilites entry from the database.

I can create topics no problem in bbpress. Just doesn’t create new topics when I write posts.

Can you use the pre-mdawaffe version again and verify that that does _not_ display this behaviour?

vitovarducci

@vitovarducci

i’m sorry, pre-mdawaffe version?

i’m using 0.8.3

should i download an earlier release?

also, i’m using wp 2.2.3 if that helps at all…

The previous version of this plugin. That’s version μ instead of the latest, ν.

I have exactly the same problem (after posting comment I’m no longer admin in bbpress). Using previous version doesn’t fix it.

Another problem I’ve found is that comments made by anonymous users are not visible in forum.

They can’t be. They’re not logged in.

This will continue to be the case until bb supports anonymous posting.

So there should be special user that would “post” all such comments.

Anyway, I can’t use this plugin because as soon as first comment appears, I’m not an admin anymore :(

I disagree. Feel free to implement it, and I’ll be happy to add a branch to the plugin.

Working on that. Worst comes to worst, I’ll just temporarily kill the bb process that does it.

Just updated the thing. Dudes with the “my capabilities keep getting screwed”, try it. Ugly but worth a shot.

Very Very nice, tnx all!

hey fel et al.,

found another issue which i just spent way too much time trying to figure out.. why is it that anywhere bb_get_option is called, it returns nothing? somehow the bb_get_option function doesn’t have access to the $bb object. I placed the following 2 lines of code in my bbpress functions.php, at the top of the bb_get_option function (after the line that reads global $bb;:

print_r($bb);
    echo " $option ";

and i got:

akismet_key mod_rewrite use_cache active_plugins usercookie usercookie page_topics

— notice, the requested option names are being echoed, but there’s no output from print_r($bb). why isn’t $bb set in the bb_get_option function?

this issue is causing bbrepliestext() to output:

Warning: Division by zero in /httpdocs/discuss/bb-includes/functions.php on line 1465

if the “Do you want me to load bbPress whenever to make things like links nicer?” option is checked in Options > bbSync. To be specific, the error comes from line 500 in bbsync.php

ρ is uploaded (third attempt, heh). Could fix your thing, jazbek? Hopefully I got all globals this time. Bit silly to knock them down one at a time. Moved the whole bb_load process into its own function.

A modicum of tinkering later, and now all that nonsense with felbbreplies is gone; bbsync hooks into some more filters to achieve the same thing, so ordinary wp comment.php template code shows all posts (including bb’s) now. Should also display trackbacks (although out of order). This is 0.9.

dreamstruck

@dreamstruck

I really like this plugin, but I am getting an error on all of my older WP posts. I’m using bbSync 0.9 and bbPress Post .041 with WP 2.2.3.

What’s happening is that all of my old WP posts have this error showing up right above the comment section:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/public_html/test/wp-content/plugins/
    bbsync.php on line 465

All new posts that I make to WP are posting fine to bbPress and this error message doesn’t show up for these new posts. I have about 500 old posts that existed in WP before I installed bbSync or bbPress Post and the error message is showing up on all of these old posts. Is there a way for me to bulk add all of these old post to my bbPress forum? It seems that this error is showing up because these old posts don’t exist in bbPress.

Thanks…

dreamstruck

@dreamstruck

One other thing that I noticed is that I have some Custom Fields that I use in my WordPress posts. These custom fields don’t show up on the bbPress posts that bbSync is making. Is there a way for me to add these Custom Fields to the bbPress posts?

Thanks…

Yo Dreamstruck. When you say that you also have bbPress Post 0.41 installed, I hope you realise that bbsync (intentionally) kills its functioning? If it didn’t, you would get duplicate topics.

I recommend pressing that Migrate button in the bbsync admin, as it will mean that bbsync will work on all topics previously synced with bbPress Post. It would, however, also stop bbPress Post working with that old data, so if you’re (understandably; I am :P) hesitant about bbsync you probably wouldn’t want to do that.

Cheers muchly, if you hadn’t pointed that out I would have had that error for all time – I entirely forgot to test if the topic was synced before replacing comments. I’ll upload .91 in a few minutes.

There is unfortunately no way to bulk sync old topics (unless they were done using bbPress Post), as topics can only be posted at the current time (while still using the API) (so you could sync them, but it would flood the forum with out-of-date stuff). But maybe that can be made to work; not in the immediate future, but it’s something that I would also like for my setup so I’ll give it a shot at least.

Custom fields don’t show up right now, but I could come some functionality to do it for sures. What specifically would you want to happen?

dreamstruck

@dreamstruck

Hi fel64…

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I use the Get Custom Field Values plugin in WordPress and this allows me to pull in custom fields that I’ve set up in my posts. I typically use this if a post is going to have some information that needs to be laid out in a format thats a little different than my regular post format. I’m not sure how these custom field values could be pulled into bbpress. Here’s the link to the Custom Field Values plugin if that helps:

Plugin: Get Custom Field Values

Thanks for looking…

Hey. As it is the postmeta is not transferred to bb’s topic right now (although that is possible and something I will think about). It’s relatively straightforward to get the post’s metadata in bb, but I don’t know how you’d use the plugin.

What specifically do you want to do?

dreamstruck

@dreamstruck

Hey fel…

Basically the way I use it right now is I have about a dozen custom fields that I’ve created and I use these to put certain data into a table format in my posts. I have the custom fields hard coded into my my wordpress templates inside the loop section. If on a certain post I need to put data into this table format I fill out the custom field section on the Write Post screen when I’m writing the post. Then of course when I publish the post the custom fields that I’ve filled out show up in the table format in my post. I hope that makes sense…

Basically I guess what I need to know is if there is a way for me to hard code the custom field tags into the bbsync.php file so that it would pull those from the word press post and if so where I would put them in the bbsync.php file. I guess I don’t really need to use the plugin I told you about in my earlier post. If I could just put the custom field tags into the bbysync file and have them pull in that would be great.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense… Thanks for your help!

Yo!

What you could do is make bbsync look at your custom data, create the tables and hang them onto the post it puts into bbpress. However, there’s a better way IMO.

Every synced topic has the attribute wp_post, giving the id of the wordpress post. Since you probably run wp when you run bb (if you’re fully integrated), you can do (something like …) this in your bbpress template:

if( isset( $topic->wp_post ) ) {
    $wp_post = get_postdata( $topic->wp_post );
    if( isset( $wp_post->custom attribute you're interested in ) ) {
    // some code to output a table into your template here
    }
    }

Much more interestingly, you could probably make that into a plugin so you can switch this behaviour on and off, and probably reuse it somewhere too. Could be very neat.

It’s feasible to replicate the functionality to want, but the best way would be to write a seperate plugin that only relies on bbsync for one thing: providing the ID of the wordpress post you’re interested in.

[As a general note: every wordpress post in wordpress has the attribute bb_topic too, giving the topic id for bbpress.]

Viewing 25 replies - 151 through 175 (of 259 total)
  • The topic ‘bbSync’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar