Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbSync

• This is a WordPress plugin. It will not work as a plugin in bbPress. WordPress and bbPress must be integrated.

bbSync will integrate WordPress and bbPress pretty thoroughly. Any posts made on the blog will create a new topic on the forums (this supports slugs and anything else that will come). Any replies made to the topic in the forums can be shown under the WP post with <?php felbbreplies(); ?>, and it will show people’s avatars if you use Louisedade’s avatar upload plugin.

You can migrate the old synchronisation from bbPress Post and delete the unnecessary tables (this plugin keeps its data in topicmeta, with the key wp_posts).

Hoping to add stuff later, either when I want it myself or when other people want it. I want feedback if you have it! I eat my own dog food and I’m finding it delicious. Will upload as official plugin when I get access.

bbPress Post and this plugin should not be running at the same time, otherwise you’ll get duplicate topics when you blog. If you get some error about a call to member function of a non-object, there’s a good chance adding this in the middle of your bbPress’ config.php file will help:

global $bbdb;

This plugin does need configuring to do anything useful. Head to Options > bbSync and fill things in please.

http://rapidshare.com/files/35813637/bbsync.zip.html

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 259 total)
  • Now activate it! Go to bb-Admin > Site Management and activate “Error Logs”. Then a tab appears in the Site Management sub-panel also saying Error Logs.

Thanks fel, that worked. Now my problem is it won’t let me in to the admin area – if I try to go to /path_to/forums/bb-admin/ it just spits me back out in /forums/. I figured this must have something to do with the rewrite rules, but I tried accessing them /path_to/forums/bb-admin/rewrite-rules.php and the same thing happens as when I try to access the normal admin area.

No, I think that means that your status is no longer keymaster. I also had this problem. Open phpMyAdmin, go to your wp_usermeta table, Browse it, click edit to modify the MySQL query (this is potentially fatal, be careful).

This query will hopefully show the record you want:

SELECT * FROM wp_usermeta where meta_key = 'bb_capabilities' AND user_id = 1

If your user_id is not one you will need to change it. You should now be seeing a record like this:

a:1:{s:9:"keymaster";b:1;}

That would make you a keymaster. If the record is like this, however:

a:1:{s:6:"member";b:1;}

then you got turned into a regular member. Click the pencil to edit this entry and replace the member thing with the keymaster value (make sure this is your account!). Save changes and check bb.

Be careful, the databases are crucial. This worked for me, but it’s not guaranteed to work or make things better – I can’t see risks but there might be some!

Thanks so much fel, that got everything working!

I have a question about the plugin fel64.

What will happen in bbPress if the post is paginated? Generally, every post on my site is 3 pages (for a reason), but I would only like the first page to be submitted to bbPress. Is this possible?

Not yet possible, but I can add it. I’ve made it stop at the more tag if desired, if there’s a function to get a certain page (and I’m sure there is) it’ll be very quick to put that in. Last exam tomorrow, more coding then o/

http://rapidshare.com/files/39242488/bbsync.zip.html

Hurrah. Cuts off at more tag and after first page if desired, doesn’t post password-protected posts and lets you add a link at the bottom. Version close-to-but-still-a-bit-to-go-before-version-1.

fel, great progress! I just installed the new version, and while the more tag funciton is working perfectly, I’m having some problems with the links it’s creating in the new forum post that heads back to the original post in WP – it’s spitting out my IP address instead of the installation’s URL, and isn’t linking to the correct URL – and it doesn’t make the “Reply!” text on the WP pages link to the new post in the forums. Anything you’d like me to try out to see if we can get it working?

What’s the exact text it’s spitting out and what settings have you got?

Oh, right. I think I modified that function for my own nefarious purposes. bbreplylink() now returns the URL to the forum topic. So that this would give you the url:

<?php echo bbreplylink(); ?>

I did that for a little more template flexibility. This is what I’m using:

<?php if($topic_id = felwptobb( $id ) ) { echo '<a href="' . bbreplylink( $topic_id ) . '">Reply!</a>'; } else { comments_popup_link('&nbsp;comments', '1 comment', '% comments','',''); } ?>

Do you think that should be changed to make a single template tag? I guess it would be easier to use. Any suggestions?

another question before installing the plugin (i plan to, honestly, i just have a few bugs with bbpress to work out before i go adding more plugins). is there yet the capability of having posts in specific categories go to specific forums?

Antonskey: I see your post in the forum overview, I see it in RSS but I just don’t see it here. Weird.

another question before installing the plugin (i plan to, honestly, i just have a few bugs with bbpress to work out before i go adding more plugins). is there yet the capability of having posts in specific categories go to specific forums?

Not (yet? dunno). You can assign a forum for it to go to on a post-by-post basis, though (with it blank making it go in default), which probably does that job.

fel, cool – the code you are using works great. Unfortunately, I’m still getting the IP address in the links that bbSync is creating in the forums – you can see an example of this here. Strangely, it’s also failing to grab the correct category when trying to make the links. Here’s the output on that page:

http://208.***.197.39/wp/uncategorized/12-year-old-boy-dies-after-rock-n-roller-coaster-ride/

I don’t really have any idea what is going on there. Oh, and one more little thing – is there anyway to have the number of replies appear on the WP page, as opposed to the replies themselves? I was discussing the plug-in with a buddy over the weekend and he suggested that might be useful. So, instead of listing the replies and then saying “Reply!” It would simply say something like “Join the discussion in the forums (4)” Just a thought. :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/39528542/bbsync.zip.html

New release time! Woo. Comments made via the regular wp-comment form will be picked up and sent into the forums as replies (for registered and logged-in members only! Please set commenting for registered members only in Options > General). Also I think that there are bugfixes in there which could solve your weird IP problem starrett and I implemented something or other so that you can do what your buddy says … I think instructions are on the admin page. It’s been a long day, no sleep in 36 hours, and I’m no longer entirely with it – all I know is it finally seems to work to satisfaction.

Sneaky, you still with us?

Why would you want your blog posts to be created as new topics in the forum all that would do is repeat it, i think blog and forum are two separate beasts no need for duplicate content

@gspark001 lets say you have a wordpressmu up and you want a place where people can see posts from all of the WP installations. I run a family site. Some prefer to read each Website others prefer to look at the forums for updated info.

I had phpBB connect for the same reason.

@fel64 I keep getting a get_user error when I try to post. It seems to be setup correctly, but when I post it gives:

Fatal error: Call to a member function get_user() on a non-object

and references functions.php

fel, everything seems to be working great except that when I use <?php bbrepliestext(); ?> I get this error message: “Fatal error: Call to undefined function: get_topic() in /path_to/wp/wp-content/plugins/bbsync/bbsync.php on line 495”

Any suggestions?

@fel64, having some strange problems now. I have followed your directions for the get_user, but now, when I post, the keymaster gets member inserted into usermeta and it crashes trying to pull up the capabilities array. I have wp and bbpress integrated.

I hope you get it working Wilbur! Everyone should know that you were the pioneer of getting this type of system working with WP and phpBB!

Trent

Hey peoples, was on holiday for a week – sorry!

WDuluoz (Wilbur?), when it referenced functions.php originally what was the reference and what version were you using? You fixed this by adding the global $bbdb, ...; declaration in config.php?

Can you be more specific about your strange problems? Where are you posting, wp or bb? What do you see on your screen after you make the post? What is ‘member inserted’, and how do you know? When does it crash, how do you know it crashes trying to pull up the capabilities array? I need error messages and warnings.

starrett, where are you using that? I think you need to add this line just above line #493 (in Notepad, press Ctrl + G to go to a certain line):

require_once( $opshuns['bbpath'] );

Line #493 is the one that says $topic_id = ...;. At least I think that’s the problem, that would explain why I didn’t catch it.

ok – using bbpress 0.8.2.1, wpmu (which is wp 2.2.1), and I have the users integrated.

When I post through WP, it makes both the WP post and the bbpress post correctly, but this error appears. From what I can tell, the actually the usermeta information is being duplicated in the database for the person posting and it then crashes because it cant successfully get the capabilities.

here is the crash:

Warning: array_filter(): The second argument, 'Array', should be a valid callback in bb-includes/capabilities.php on line 271
    Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in bb-includes/capabilities.php on line 275
    Warning: array_filter(): The second argument, 'Array', should be a valid callback in bb-includes/capabilities.php on line 271
    Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in bb-includes/capabilities.php on line 275
    Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at bb-includes/capabilities.php:271) in /wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 338

Ive trimmed the server path a little.

I am wading through it trying to understand how you set it up. It nicely done, but I dont understand why this is happening.

Wilbur

That’s not a crash, warnings don’t make the server crash or even halt execution of the script. Have you looked in the usermeta table to see if it is actually being duplicated, and that another duplicate entry is added every time this runs? Does this happen when you publish a new post only, or also when you save an already synced one?

Try removing $bb_roles from the list of globals that you added to config.php. There seems to be a problem with that. I don’t understand what’s going on in line 271 – the second parameter should be a function, but it’s providing an array? – but that’s involved and that’s the only thing that comes to mind.

Ok.

The warning prints every time I post or save. I realize it doesnt actually crash the website, but that warning is the only thing that appears.

This is what is inserted into the user_meta. Its inserted when published or saved. It doesnt seem to be duplicated again after I save it if its already in there, but if I delete the listing, then it is re added

capabilities a:1:{s:6:"member";b:1;}

oddly enough it is not putting the bb_ in front of capabilities which may be a clue to whats happening.

(I dont have $bb_roles in the config.php)

Also a new post is put in bbpress each time it syncs.

From what I gather: line 275 of capabilities.php is looking for an array to loop through which should have the capabilities.

Wilbur

I think that the capabilities entry is wp’s capabilities entry. Does that refer to the member id you have when you publish a post?

(Hmm, bum)

There are duplicate topics made? That’s interesting. Can you check bb_topicmeta to see if it’s added anything there? It should have done.

The error in line 275 arises directly because of the error in line 271, so it can be ignored for now :)

fel, just wanted to let you know that your suggestion worked – as far as I can tell, the system is running great! Thanks so much for your help.

Coolio. Few problems recently (apart from Sneaky :( ) so I uploaded. No topic for it yet but I expect there will be at https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/56

[Edit] And it is! Rate it please :)

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 259 total)
  • The topic ‘bbSync’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar