bbPress 2.0 – FAQ

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Where can I download it?

1. Your WordPress admin area

2. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress/

Where do I report bugs?

1. http://bbpress.org/forums/ (use the tag ‘bbpress-plugin’)

2. http://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org

Where can I report a security vulnerability?

1. http://wordpress.org/about/contact/

2. jjj in #bbpress on freenode on IRC

Where do support questions go?

Use these forums the same as always, and use the tag ‘bbpress-plugin’

Does this integrate with BuddyPress?

bbPress 2.0 integrates with BuddyPress activity streams, profile links, and avatars. bbPress 2.0 does not yet integrate with Groups, but it also will not conflict with them. This means there are no code conflicts or errors by leaving both activated.

Forums and topics are not showing up in my theme!

Try resaving your permalinks.

Is there an importer from a 1.0 installation?

A first attempt is included, and it needs testing. That’s where you come in! :)

Where can I contribute translations

http://translate.wordpress.org/projects/bbpress/plugin/

Where is the documentation?

In the code itself right now. There’s not a lot of sense in creating documentation for pre-release software, as anything is subject to change. There will be a bbPress codex coming soon after release, so sit tight.

Why can my admin post videos, and normal users can’t?

Admin accounts in WordPress are granted a specific capability that enables them to post any kind of content they choose. Normal users do not have this ability, and are restricted to a specific set of HTML tags.

What is happening to bbPress 1.x?

It will continue to be maintained into the foreseeable future but is feature frozen, meaning no new features will get put in.

Can the bbPress Plugin 2.0 Beta be installed without WordPress?

No. bbPress 2.0 is strictly a plugin for WordPress.

How can I set which users can do what things?

You’ll want to use existing WordPress plugins if you want to customize the capabilities of your users. Start with Members or User Role Editor but be careful! It’s possible to lock yourself out of your site if you remove your own capabilities, so don’t fuss about if you’re not sure what you’re doing. :)

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 148 total)
  • “Where can I contribute translations

https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/bbpress/plugin/”

I was willing to translate to Spansh, since is my mother language, and I need it. I translated a few things and realised that it didn’t work, they need to be aproved to be downloaded. Then I saw this:

Language % Translated Untranslated Waiting

Spanish (Spain) 0% 0 706 818

Almost everything has been already translated, but is not aproved. I’ve been reading and it might not be perfect, since some words are still in english (for instance Topic instead of “Hilo/Tema”), but it would be great to have access to that translation. There’ll be time for future improvements, I am the first one interested.

So, who’s in charge of it?

Thank you.

Andre
    Participant

@andrejcarter

@JJJ – Will you update the “Does this integrate with BuddyPress?” paragraph in the original post?

Andre
    Participant

@andrejcarter

@JJJ – Will you update the “Does this integrate with BuddyPress?” paragraph in the original post?

Hi John,

I hate to bother, but I really dug through everything close to a documentation (plus hundreds of forum answers) and could not find an answer to some basic questions:

a) BuddyPress 1.5.2 beta comes with a folder

/bp-forums/bbpress

which is obviously a full bbpress install (standalone?).

I run WP 3.2.1 with BP 1.5.2 beta plus bbpress plugin 2.0-rc-2 (the latter a folder with less files than the one I found in a)

So which one to run/install, what’s the difference?

At the moment my admin panel shows a section for Forums, Topics, Replies, but they don’t show in the frontend.

In the frontend I see group forums only, but not the ones created in the admin panel.

I am confused and I am really missing a clue (a mini docu would help), on how those parts work together (or not).

Thankful for any hint, just point me to any place with some information so that I can find sleep and peace again – and my 11,000 club members too ;)

BTW – I am quite experienced with WordPress after some hundred installations and modifications since 2005, but I’m new to BuddyPress and bbPress…

Kind regards from Austria,

eliZZZa

Hi John,

I hate to bother, but I really dug through everything close to a documentation (plus hundreds of forum answers) and could not find an answer to some basic questions:

a) BuddyPress 1.5.2 beta comes with a folder

/bp-forums/bbpress

which is obviously a full bbpress install (standalone?).

I run WP 3.2.1 with BP 1.5.2 beta plus bbpress plugin 2.0-rc-2 (the latter a folder with less files than the one I found in a)

So which one to run/install, what’s the difference?

At the moment my admin panel shows a section for Forums, Topics, Replies, but they don’t show in the frontend.

In the frontend I see group forums only, but not the ones created in the admin panel.

I am confused and I am really missing a clue (a mini docu would help), on how those parts work together (or not).

Thankful for any hint, just point me to any place with some information so that I can find sleep and peace again – and my 11,000 club members too ;)

BTW – I am quite experienced with WordPress after some hundred installations and modifications since 2005, but I’m new to BuddyPress and bbPress…

Kind regards from Austria,

eliZZZa

Anonymous User 5853594
    Inactive

@anonymized-5853594

@eliZZZa

BuddyPress does indeed include the full standalone version and doesn’t (yet) fully support the plugin version. It has been announced that in a future release of BuddyPress, support for the plugin will be included though.

What you’re seeing in the Dashboard are the menu’s from the plugin version. The forums have to (manually) be given pages of their own, for them to show up in the front-end of your site.

You can create pages for the plugin’s forums using the plugin’s shortcodes (https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-20-shortcodes).

I know that the interaction between BuddyPress and the bbPress plugin isn’t much at the moment, but I hope that BuddyPress will try to make it easier in future releases.

You can use them side by side pretty well though, although I do not know how things will change when the bbPress plugin version is included into BuddyPress. I imagine that it might cause some importing issues.

Anonymous User 5853594
    Inactive

@anonymized-5853594

@eliZZZa

BuddyPress does indeed include the full standalone version and doesn’t (yet) fully support the plugin version. It has been announced that in a future release of BuddyPress, support for the plugin will be included though.

What you’re seeing in the Dashboard are the menu’s from the plugin version. The forums have to (manually) be given pages of their own, for them to show up in the front-end of your site.

You can create pages for the plugin’s forums using the plugin’s shortcodes (https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-20-shortcodes).

I know that the interaction between BuddyPress and the bbPress plugin isn’t much at the moment, but I hope that BuddyPress will try to make it easier in future releases.

You can use them side by side pretty well though, although I do not know how things will change when the bbPress plugin version is included into BuddyPress. I imagine that it might cause some importing issues.

Thank you so much, Trifon,

your information does help me a lot indeed!

Meantime I figured out, how to show general forums (not group forums) using the bbp plugin.

http://www.nadelspiel.com/clubneu/forums/

If I understood some forum answers correctly, the standalone version may be deprecated in future and development of the interaction with the plugin version will be continued.

So, while the solution is not perfect at the moment, it’s promising and being a WP addict, I will stay tuned anyway with BuddyPress and bbPress as well…

Thank you again,

eliZZZa

http://team.eliZZZa.net/

Thank you so much, Trifon,

your information does help me a lot indeed!

Meantime I figured out, how to show general forums (not group forums) using the bbp plugin.

http://www.nadelspiel.com/clubneu/forums/

If I understood some forum answers correctly, the standalone version may be deprecated in future and development of the interaction with the plugin version will be continued.

So, while the solution is not perfect at the moment, it’s promising and being a WP addict, I will stay tuned anyway with BuddyPress and bbPress as well…

Thank you again,

eliZZZa

http://team.eliZZZa.net/

emanagedfutures

@emanagedfutures

I can’t wait until it integrates with BuddyPress. That will be the ultimate group of plugins. Does anyone have a timeline on when this is expected?

emanagedfutures

@emanagedfutures

I can’t wait until it integrates with BuddyPress. That will be the ultimate group of plugins. Does anyone have a timeline on when this is expected?

Anonymous User 5853594
    Inactive

@anonymized-5853594

@eliZZZa

It looks very good! I’ve read about a bit and it seems to be working. I haven’t had much practice with reading German, but I can understand it pretty well.

The stand-alone version will indeed not get further updates, although it has been said (somewhere) that security updates will still be released (when necessary).

The plugin is the way the project will continue. I think because it will all be reliant on WP.org’s core.

@emanagedfutures

It has been announced that full integration of the plugin version should happen in the next release of BP.

As BP is currently still in 1.5 beta-2, we can’t yet peek at the development versions of the next one. But I’m curious as to how much of the BP-core will change to enable the plugin version of bbP to work properly.

Anonymous User 5853594
    Inactive

@anonymized-5853594

@eliZZZa

It looks very good! I’ve read about a bit and it seems to be working. I haven’t had much practice with reading German, but I can understand it pretty well.

The stand-alone version will indeed not get further updates, although it has been said (somewhere) that security updates will still be released (when necessary).

The plugin is the way the project will continue. I think because it will all be reliant on WP.org’s core.

@emanagedfutures

It has been announced that full integration of the plugin version should happen in the next release of BP.

As BP is currently still in 1.5 beta-2, we can’t yet peek at the development versions of the next one. But I’m curious as to how much of the BP-core will change to enable the plugin version of bbP to work properly.

oliver_s
    Participant

@oliver_s

I installed RC3 and it broke!

I get a page not found on all the entries.

The widget still seems to work, the admin panel too but all the links to the forum are broken.

To fix this please go into the settings at

/wp-admin/options-general.php?page=bbpress

and save them w/o editing something and it will work again.

oliver_s
    Participant

@oliver_s

I installed RC3 and it broke!

I get a page not found on all the entries.

The widget still seems to work, the admin panel too but all the links to the forum are broken.

To fix this please go into the settings at

/wp-admin/options-general.php?page=bbpress

and save them w/o editing something and it will work again.

oliver_s
    Participant

@oliver_s

The feeds are still not working by the way. It is not possible to get a full feed of all new posts and replies of the forum anywhere, or any subforum for that matter. even if I add /feed/ to a URL

would be highly appreciated.

oliver_s
    Participant

@oliver_s

The feeds are still not working by the way. It is not possible to get a full feed of all new posts and replies of the forum anywhere, or any subforum for that matter. even if I add /feed/ to a URL

would be highly appreciated.

As for me, I’m using a custom WP theme and I have the plug-in in the specified folder, but I can’t get to the bbpress configuration screen. I get 404 errors, I get nothing (just see my home page). What do I do?

As for me, I’m using a custom WP theme and I have the plug-in in the specified folder, but I can’t get to the bbpress configuration screen. I get 404 errors, I get nothing (just see my home page). What do I do?

Hello and thanks for the bbPress plugin it’s working (installing) great till now.

I only have one question and maybe it’s very simple thats why i ask it in the FAQ.

I have a local WP Multi install and i made a special (forum) network-site for showing the forum on. Only i would like to display the forum on the homepage.

Now it’s like this.

(1) example.com (my homepage)

(2) example.com/forum/ (homepage of the new networking site)

(3) example.com/forum/forums/ (showing the forums)

(4) example.com/forum/forums/forum/topic-title ( ?? very ugly)

As you can see i don’t like <strongs>forums in between, i would like to show off all forums-/category’s on the homepage of my new WP network (2)

I have searched in the settings but i don’t understand the Archive slugs :(

Hello and thanks for the bbPress plugin it’s working (installing) great till now.

I only have one question and maybe it’s very simple thats why i ask it in the FAQ.

I have a local WP Multi install and i made a special (forum) network-site for showing the forum on. Only i would like to display the forum on the homepage.

Now it’s like this.

(1) example.com (my homepage)

(2) example.com/forum/ (homepage of the new networking site)

(3) example.com/forum/forums/ (showing the forums)

(4) example.com/forum/forums/forum/topic-title ( ?? very ugly)

As you can see i don’t like <strongs>forums in between, i would like to show off all forums-/category’s on the homepage of my new WP network (2)

I have searched in the settings but i don’t understand the Archive slugs :(

@reply myself.

I was stupid, and sleeping! (my mistake)

Shortcodes is the solution to pull this off.

@reply myself.

I was stupid, and sleeping! (my mistake)

Shortcodes is the solution to pull this off.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I’ll be putting together a codex in the coming weeks. Just dropping an update that eventually we can unsticky these topics and have a real place for documentation.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I’ll be putting together a codex in the coming weeks. Just dropping an update that eventually we can unsticky these topics and have a real place for documentation.

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 148 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – FAQ’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar