bbPress 2.0 – FAQ

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Where can I download it?

1. Your WordPress admin area

2. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress/

Where do I report bugs?

1. http://bbpress.org/forums/ (use the tag ‘bbpress-plugin’)

2. http://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org

Where can I report a security vulnerability?

1. http://wordpress.org/about/contact/

2. jjj in #bbpress on freenode on IRC

Where do support questions go?

Use these forums the same as always, and use the tag ‘bbpress-plugin’

Does this integrate with BuddyPress?

bbPress 2.0 integrates with BuddyPress activity streams, profile links, and avatars. bbPress 2.0 does not yet integrate with Groups, but it also will not conflict with them. This means there are no code conflicts or errors by leaving both activated.

Forums and topics are not showing up in my theme!

Try resaving your permalinks.

Is there an importer from a 1.0 installation?

A first attempt is included, and it needs testing. That’s where you come in! :)

Where can I contribute translations

http://translate.wordpress.org/projects/bbpress/plugin/

Where is the documentation?

In the code itself right now. There’s not a lot of sense in creating documentation for pre-release software, as anything is subject to change. There will be a bbPress codex coming soon after release, so sit tight.

Why can my admin post videos, and normal users can’t?

Admin accounts in WordPress are granted a specific capability that enables them to post any kind of content they choose. Normal users do not have this ability, and are restricted to a specific set of HTML tags.

What is happening to bbPress 1.x?

It will continue to be maintained into the foreseeable future but is feature frozen, meaning no new features will get put in.

Can the bbPress Plugin 2.0 Beta be installed without WordPress?

No. bbPress 2.0 is strictly a plugin for WordPress.

How can I set which users can do what things?

You’ll want to use existing WordPress plugins if you want to customize the capabilities of your users. Start with Members or User Role Editor but be careful! It’s possible to lock yourself out of your site if you remove your own capabilities, so don’t fuss about if you’re not sure what you’re doing. :)

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 148 total)

• tnts
    Participant

@tnts

I’d want to move our 2000+ user forum from bbpress 0.9.3 to bbpress 2 as soon as it’s stable and tested. Will it be possible to save all the internal links as they are now (id-based)? And will the transfer of the 100k+ posts be easy at all?

How about Private Messaging plugin and other extra features which are now run by plugins?

tnts
    Participant

@tnts

I’d want to move our 2000+ user forum from bbpress 0.9.3 to bbpress 2 as soon as it’s stable and tested. Will it be possible to save all the internal links as they are now (id-based)? And will the transfer of the 100k+ posts be easy at all?

How about Private Messaging plugin and other extra features which are now run by plugins?

packzap
    Participant

@packzap

Yes, what is the migration path from bbPress 0.9.x installs to bbPress 2?

packzap
    Participant

@packzap

Yes, what is the migration path from bbPress 0.9.x installs to bbPress 2?

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

packzap: Please upgrade to 1.0 or trunk and then migrate to plugin. :)

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

packzap: Please upgrade to 1.0 or trunk and then migrate to plugin. :)

enderandrew
    Participant

@enderandrew

Can you please elaborate on the partial BP 1.3 and bbpress 2.0 compatibility?

How will they be integrated?

I imagine I’m in the minority, as most BP users seem to prefer having separate group forums appear under each group, but I’d like a more traditional unified forum where you can see the user’s group along with their title in posts, and perhaps have restricted access to sub-forums for groups.

Is that possible?

enderandrew
    Participant

@enderandrew

Can you please elaborate on the partial BP 1.3 and bbpress 2.0 compatibility?

How will they be integrated?

I imagine I’m in the minority, as most BP users seem to prefer having separate group forums appear under each group, but I’d like a more traditional unified forum where you can see the user’s group along with their title in posts, and perhaps have restricted access to sub-forums for groups.

Is that possible?

sorry but i dont understand a thing, template files have different name from 1.0 to 2.0?

i’ve now installed the 2.0 plugin version just for test, but under the docs section of this site there are named template files which i cant find in bbp-twentyten theme.

For example front-page.php is deprecated?

now do we have to use page-front-forums?

someone can help?

p.s. sorry for my bad english

p.s.2 i’m a good wordpress theme developer ;)

sorry but i dont understand a thing, template files have different name from 1.0 to 2.0?

i’ve now installed the 2.0 plugin version just for test, but under the docs section of this site there are named template files which i cant find in bbp-twentyten theme.

For example front-page.php is deprecated?

now do we have to use page-front-forums?

someone can help?

p.s. sorry for my bad english

p.s.2 i’m a good wordpress theme developer ;)

amirsaam

@7i7griffin

Hey dude. I’ve a question

I use a Networked WordPress. Can I use this plugin as a forum.mysite.mydoman?

I want be like that because my subsites are like blog.mysite.mydomain

Can I have that? Or must use the stable bbPress?

Please do not say use BuddyPress because I hate that!

amirsaam

@7i7griffin

Hey dude. I’ve a question

I use a Networked WordPress. Can I use this plugin as a forum.mysite.mydoman?

I want be like that because my subsites are like blog.mysite.mydomain

Can I have that? Or must use the stable bbPress?

Please do not say use BuddyPress because I hate that!

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Maybe it’ll be different in the future, but right now you can achieve that by creating a sub-blog called forum at forum.mysite.mydomain, then you install bbPress 2.0, network enable it and enable it on the ‘forum’ blog. Just find/make a really minimalistic theme if you want to focus on the forum itself. With a little bit of tweaking you could pretty much do away with all the Blog/CMS elements and be left with just a clean forum.

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Maybe it’ll be different in the future, but right now you can achieve that by creating a sub-blog called forum at forum.mysite.mydomain, then you install bbPress 2.0, network enable it and enable it on the ‘forum’ blog. Just find/make a really minimalistic theme if you want to focus on the forum itself. With a little bit of tweaking you could pretty much do away with all the Blog/CMS elements and be left with just a clean forum.

amirsaam

@7i7griffin

This forum need a Thanks button!

Thank you Erlend ;-)

amirsaam

@7i7griffin

This forum need a Thanks button!

Thank you Erlend ;-)

amirsaam

@7i7griffin

Thank to Erlend but can give me some more information?

How to make my forum to subdomain not subdirectory with bbPress plugin?

And another question, when the alpha 2.0 release?

amirsaam

@7i7griffin

Thank to Erlend but can give me some more information?

How to make my forum to subdomain not subdirectory with bbPress plugin?

And another question, when the alpha 2.0 release?

pimarts
    Participant

@pimarts

If you ask when bbPress 2.0 will be released, your post will be deleted. The answer will always be the same with every version: As soon as it’s ready. :)

From https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-plugin-updates

pimarts
    Participant

@pimarts

If you ask when bbPress 2.0 will be released, your post will be deleted. The answer will always be the same with every version: As soon as it’s ready. :)

From https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-plugin-updates

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Making a subdomain is the exact same process. It has nothing to do with bbPress and everything to do with your WordPress Network configuration. It’s all neatly laid out in the codex. This is for advanced users though.

If you just want the sub-domain for cosmetic reasons (i.e. it just looks tidier) that’s not really good enough reason to set up a network site. You have to realize that enabling Network comes with a lot of implications on how you can use and extend your WordPress site. For example, only a small percentage of the plugins in the WordPress repository have been tested and made to work in a Network environment.

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Making a subdomain is the exact same process. It has nothing to do with bbPress and everything to do with your WordPress Network configuration. It’s all neatly laid out in the codex. This is for advanced users though.

If you just want the sub-domain for cosmetic reasons (i.e. it just looks tidier) that’s not really good enough reason to set up a network site. You have to realize that enabling Network comes with a lot of implications on how you can use and extend your WordPress site. For example, only a small percentage of the plugins in the WordPress repository have been tested and made to work in a Network environment.

amirsaam

@7i7griffin

Thanks Erlend…

But I know how to make wordpress networked and my networked wordpress is sub domained and it have not a good like if my blog is http://blog.7i7griffin.info but my forum be 7i7griffin.info/forum

Am I say something wrong?

amirsaam

@7i7griffin

Thanks Erlend…

But I know how to make wordpress networked and my networked wordpress is sub domained and it have not a good like if my blog is http://blog.7i7griffin.info but my forum be 7i7griffin.info/forum

Am I say something wrong?

“Where can I contribute translations

https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/bbpress/plugin/”

I was willing to translate to Spansh, since is my mother language, and I need it. I translated a few things and realised that it didn’t work, they need to be aproved to be downloaded. Then I saw this:

Language % Translated Untranslated Waiting

Spanish (Spain) 0% 0 706 818

Almost everything has been already translated, but is not aproved. I’ve been reading and it might not be perfect, since some words are still in english (for instance Topic instead of “Hilo/Tema”), but it would be great to have access to that translation. There’ll be time for future improvements, I am the first one interested.

So, who’s in charge of it?

Thank you.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 148 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – FAQ’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar