bbPress 2.0 – FAQ

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Where can I download it?

1. Your WordPress admin area

2. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress/

Where do I report bugs?

1. http://bbpress.org/forums/ (use the tag ‘bbpress-plugin’)

2. http://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org

Where can I report a security vulnerability?

1. http://wordpress.org/about/contact/

2. jjj in #bbpress on freenode on IRC

Where do support questions go?

Use these forums the same as always, and use the tag ‘bbpress-plugin’

Does this integrate with BuddyPress?

bbPress 2.0 integrates with BuddyPress activity streams, profile links, and avatars. bbPress 2.0 does not yet integrate with Groups, but it also will not conflict with them. This means there are no code conflicts or errors by leaving both activated.

Forums and topics are not showing up in my theme!

Try resaving your permalinks.

Is there an importer from a 1.0 installation?

A first attempt is included, and it needs testing. That’s where you come in! :)

Where can I contribute translations

http://translate.wordpress.org/projects/bbpress/plugin/

Where is the documentation?

In the code itself right now. There’s not a lot of sense in creating documentation for pre-release software, as anything is subject to change. There will be a bbPress codex coming soon after release, so sit tight.

Why can my admin post videos, and normal users can’t?

Admin accounts in WordPress are granted a specific capability that enables them to post any kind of content they choose. Normal users do not have this ability, and are restricted to a specific set of HTML tags.

What is happening to bbPress 1.x?

It will continue to be maintained into the foreseeable future but is feature frozen, meaning no new features will get put in.

Can the bbPress Plugin 2.0 Beta be installed without WordPress?

No. bbPress 2.0 is strictly a plugin for WordPress.

How can I set which users can do what things?

You’ll want to use existing WordPress plugins if you want to customize the capabilities of your users. Start with Members or User Role Editor but be careful! It’s possible to lock yourself out of your site if you remove your own capabilities, so don’t fuss about if you’re not sure what you’re doing. :)

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 148 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Lead post updated.

You need simply to scroll up to see the answer. :)

Can I please know when will 1.3 be updated. You released a new version of the wordpress plugin, but did not release an update for the stand alone forum.

Please update version 1.3 or tell me when is it going 2 be updated.

Can I please know when will 1.3 be updated. You released a new version of the wordpress plugin, but did not release an update for the stand alone forum.

Please update version 1.3 or tell me when is it going 2 be updated.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@dotaleague – There will probably never be a 1.3 version of bbPress. The next standalone version will be 1.1, which will most likely get released along side 2.0.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@dotaleague – There will probably never be a 1.3 version of bbPress. The next standalone version will be 1.1, which will most likely get released along side 2.0.

alanchrishughes

@alanchrishughes

I hate to keep bringing up Buddypress integration, but by “not directly” I assume that means the new version of Buddypress and its groups will still be based off the old stand alone bbpress?

And when the two plugins are installed separately (Buddypress and the new bbpress plugin) a user’s bbpress activity is not yet built to feed into the Buddypress activity stream/wall/wire/whatever?

alanchrishughes

@alanchrishughes

I hate to keep bringing up Buddypress integration, but by “not directly” I assume that means the new version of Buddypress and its groups will still be based off the old stand alone bbpress?

And when the two plugins are installed separately (Buddypress and the new bbpress plugin) a user’s bbpress activity is not yet built to feed into the Buddypress activity stream/wall/wire/whatever?

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Wowow, major surprise here. Suddenly I feel like you´re talking about version two as something everyone is familiar with. And I struggle a bit to find out where I´m supposed to start.

First of all I think I will wait for the completed version, and skip the betas.

Heres my question:

How do you install it?

-Does it appear as a “page” in WordPress?

-Does it use the same database as WordPress?

-Can it use my old separate forum database, and automatically detect the users there?

-If it does, will this be the way to upgrade from “old” bbpress to the new?

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Wowow, major surprise here. Suddenly I feel like you´re talking about version two as something everyone is familiar with. And I struggle a bit to find out where I´m supposed to start.

First of all I think I will wait for the completed version, and skip the betas.

Heres my question:

How do you install it?

-Does it appear as a “page” in WordPress?

-Does it use the same database as WordPress?

-Can it use my old separate forum database, and automatically detect the users there?

-If it does, will this be the way to upgrade from “old” bbpress to the new?

danoman
    Participant

@danoman

Can’t find a Swedish translation set for the bbPress plugin in GlotPress, and it seems I can’t create one. Would be great if someone could set one up so we could start translation.

danoman
    Participant

@danoman

Can’t find a Swedish translation set for the bbPress plugin in GlotPress, and it seems I can’t create one. Would be great if someone could set one up so we could start translation.

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

@ramiuz

Install the plugin just like any other wordpress plugin by adding it to the plugins folder and activating it.

It does not appear as a page as this is a complete system. The theme comes bundled with the twentyten theme and all the needed templates for it to work in that theme.

It uses the same db as wp. Basically beta2 uses custom post-types for wp, so it is about as native wp as you could ask for.

There is some type of importer script to ‘upgrade’ from the old forum system to the new one. Sorry, I am not familiar with it as I have not used it.

I do know that JJ is working on the import system to make it as user friendly as possible. Documentation will probably proceed the stable release.

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

@ramiuz

Install the plugin just like any other wordpress plugin by adding it to the plugins folder and activating it.

It does not appear as a page as this is a complete system. The theme comes bundled with the twentyten theme and all the needed templates for it to work in that theme.

It uses the same db as wp. Basically beta2 uses custom post-types for wp, so it is about as native wp as you could ask for.

There is some type of importer script to ‘upgrade’ from the old forum system to the new one. Sorry, I am not familiar with it as I have not used it.

I do know that JJ is working on the import system to make it as user friendly as possible. Documentation will probably proceed the stable release.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

So if you use another theme for your blog, you have to edit two themes?

The normal WordPress theme – AND the BBpress plugin theme?

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

So if you use another theme for your blog, you have to edit two themes?

The normal WordPress theme – AND the BBpress plugin theme?

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

@Ramiuz

No, you are actually able to use your current theme for bbpress. There is a ‘fair’ amount of work involved in initially setting it up however. Shortly after bbpress goes gold then, if JJ hasn’t already done so, I will post a how-to guide on theme forum integration.

Every wp theme is a bit different, so there is a bit of tweaking to do in order to make it perfect, but it is really not all that hard.

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

@Ramiuz

No, you are actually able to use your current theme for bbpress. There is a ‘fair’ amount of work involved in initially setting it up however. Shortly after bbpress goes gold then, if JJ hasn’t already done so, I will post a how-to guide on theme forum integration.

Every wp theme is a bit different, so there is a bit of tweaking to do in order to make it perfect, but it is really not all that hard.

Chip Bennett
    Participant

@chipbennett

@annointed:

Is there any documentation anywhere for converting a bbPress 1.x custom Theme to a bbPress 2.0 custom Theme? I have a fairly comprehensive Theme I developed for 1.x, and would like to convert it. I suppose I should just start poring through the bbp-twentyten child Theme template files?

Chip Bennett
    Participant

@chipbennett

@annointed:

Is there any documentation anywhere for converting a bbPress 1.x custom Theme to a bbPress 2.0 custom Theme? I have a fairly comprehensive Theme I developed for 1.x, and would like to convert it. I suppose I should just start poring through the bbp-twentyten child Theme template files?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@Chip – That’s probably the easiest way, yes. If you’re familiar with WordPress themes (which I am fairly certain you are) this should be pretty painless.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@Chip – That’s probably the easiest way, yes. If you’re familiar with WordPress themes (which I am fairly certain you are) this should be pretty painless.

@anointed a how-to guide on theme forum integration would be very helpful, thanks in advance if you publish one. :)

@anointed a how-to guide on theme forum integration would be very helpful, thanks in advance if you publish one. :)

Yello!

Is it possible to download .po/.mo files from Glotpress somehow right now?

I need Finnish translation of the bbPress plugin ASAP. For now I’ve been doing translation in my own with the .pot file and I’d like to contribute but I’m reluctant to translate with Glotpress if I cannot download the files immediately…

Yello!

Is it possible to download .po/.mo files from Glotpress somehow right now?

I need Finnish translation of the bbPress plugin ASAP. For now I’ve been doing translation in my own with the .pot file and I’d like to contribute but I’m reluctant to translate with Glotpress if I cannot download the files immediately…

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 148 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – FAQ’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar