Categories
Search
Bottom

I have created a bbPress starter theme with a phpBB look and feel

• Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Hey all,

I thought I would have a go at creating a quick and easy theme for people to get started using bbPress. This was built fairly quickly using one of my other themes (which are based off the default bbPress files).

If you want to check it out then have a look at: http://www.epicwebs.co.uk/content/bbpress-theme-invision-or-phpbb-feel or check it out on github https://github.com/EpicWebs/bbPress-starter-theme-epicwebs.

The theme allows you to get more of a phpBB or invision look to your forum. It uses the functions I posted previously on bbPress.org along with some css to get the forum looking nice by installing the theme. The forum should be pretty fluid so it will fit any width of site.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 136 total)
  • @Phill I am not seeing that using Chrome 24

Phill
    Participant

@sharkbites

Hi Stephen, I just figured it out. There was a conflict with my there’s navigation CSS. Thanks for responding.

golfer300
    Participant

@golfer300

I am having a few problems doing this. I downloaded the folder and uploaded it to my theme (catchbox) via Filezilla. However, I do not see any changes in my forum or dashboard. I have read through this forum but a lot of what has been mentioned has been beyond me. Any help is much appreciated.

akgt
    Participant

@akgt

can this theme be used with buddypress 1.7  groups forum ?

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

@golfer300 You will need to put the contents of the zip file inside your theme folder, once you have done this you should see a bbpress-functions.php inside your main theme directory. For this theme to fully work you will need to have the wordpress classes attached to the body tag.

@akgt
    I haven’t tested it using buddyPress, let me know if you use it.

shauntwl
    Participant

@shauntwl

hi, i really need help. i am very new to wordpress and bbpress. i installed wordpress today and installed bbpress.

i did downloaded your theme and placed it in wp-content/themes/my-theme

in wordpress -> Appearance -> Themes. it says

“Broken Themes

The following themes are installed but incomplete. Themes must have a stylesheet and a template.
    Name Description
    my-theme Stylesheet is missing.”

my test site is http://therightclique.sg/jeepforum/forums/
    can anyone guild me to create a proper working forum?

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Sounds like your main theme (not a bbpress theme) doesn’t have all the files it needs, I would recommend getting a full working installation of wordpress first, check everything is ok then do the bbPress stuff.

shauntwl
    Participant

@shauntwl

sorry i dont understand, i did a full wordpress installation and installed bbpress plugin. Hostgator installed wordpress on my sever for me.

is that not a full wordpress setup?

akgt
    Participant

@akgt

I hadd the following error installing on wp 3.5 and buddypress 1.7 The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.

akgt
    Participant

@akgt

Turns out i was installing in the wrong place,

I’ve just installed on bp 1.7beta & bbpres and it works.

zilveer
    Participant

@zilveer

The links doesnt work for me.
    Can you please paste the working ones here?

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Yes, sorry I was originally using drupal for EpicWebs.co.uk and I didn’t get on with it very well for what is essentially a blog, so I am redoing it in wordpress.

The best link is github: https://github.com/EpicWebs/bbPress-starter-theme-epicwebs

zilveer
    Participant

@zilveer

@lynq:
    Can you please give a big printscreen of this theme, since I want to see it before I install it.

akgt
    Participant

@akgt

Hi could someone give me a updated theme, I dont know css, a pain I know .

akgt
    Participant

@akgt

or if i could get some easy instructions.

akgt
    Participant

@akgt

Has this been updated for 2.3 or 2.4??

Xevo
    Participant

@xevo

Last update was 7 months ago, so no.

WPDragon
    Participant

@wpdragon

Can this bbpress Layout still be used?…or would there be issues with latest version of bbpress & wordpress?

Please reply…thanks.

WPDragon
    Participant

@wpdragon

@lynq – hopefully you can answer this. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Halo Diehard
    Participant

@halo-diehard

All I know is I’ve got it running on my local for the update before the latest and it’s working. Haven’t updated yet because I’m in the process of converting forums and need everything to stay stable until I get it all figured out…

Edit: PS – if it doesn’t work all you have to do is replace the files with the backup files you save before you try it out.

Lynqoid
    Participant

@lynqoid

Hey guys,

The theme is what teamoverpowered.com forums is based on and it is still working (I always update bbPress).

So in theory the theme should work, take a backup and test it! 🙂

I am (slowly) working on another theme which should be quite nice, it’s just taking longer than expected.

jimrowland
    Participant

@jimrowland

Thanks for your work on this @lynqoid … I was about 2 minutes from dumping bbPress and installing phpBB and trying to integrate it with WP-United. I’m trying to “start fresh” with an existing community, and since we’re coming from a forums-only site, the functionality, look, and feel of the forums is high priority. I’ve been struggling to learn WP for the past 3 days since I started, and it can be frustrating as heck. I dabbled in PHP about 15 years ago, and have quite a bit of .asp/vbs background… so the concepts are not new, but finding my way around feels a bit like a blind man groping his way through an unfamiliar house.

Our forums software hasn’t seen any new development in nearly 10 years, and it’s getting clunky with lots of chicken wire and duct tape holding things together with a lot of mods. So, we’ve decided to “start fresh” with a more social type environment, and we’re hoping that WP+BP+bbP can be that platform for us.

I installed your files into my theme, and *presto*, my forums looked SOOOO much better instantly. Nice! I’m still struggling with the overall theme/format/layout/whateverthehellyoucallit, because everything is so narrow down the center of the page. I’m still not sure why I’ve got a black bar down the left side of the screen, and a “no-color” bar down the right hand side. Grrrrrr.

Thanks for pointing out teamoverpowered.com…. I would like to aim for that look and feel. And thanks again for your work on the phpBB “look” for the bbPress forums.

Sign me,
    “Lost and Helpless”…. so far

Jimmy
    http://www.fseconomy.net:8080/

Lynqoid
    Participant

@lynqoid

Hey all,

Great to hear you are working on your websites 🙂

I am slowly working on a couple of new themes for bbPress and a full WordPress theme as well. The problem with just doing a bbPress theme is that I have no control over what the sidebars class or ids are so it makes it a bit problematic to remove them.

Good luck and keep on building!

kendorama
    Participant

@kendorama

Hi Lynq,

I can’t get your theme to look right on my site. None the less the main thing I want is how to make it so it shows the title for the last post in your “Last Poster” section.

What’s the new font you’re working on?

Check out my test forums and email me if you can ken@sparxpg.com ; http://kendotest.koolkiwi.com/forums/

thanks!

Lynqoid
    Participant

@lynqoid

The idea with the full WordPress with bbPress integration is that you can enable/disable certain features.

Some themes already come with a breadcrumb so being able to disable the bbPress one via a tickbox in the admin section would be quite handy, same goes with disabling the sidebar via a tickbox.

I’ll take a look at your theme later see what I can see, at quick glance I’m not too sure what is happening.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar