Categories
Search
Bottom

I have created a bbPress starter theme with a phpBB look and feel

• Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Hey all,

I thought I would have a go at creating a quick and easy theme for people to get started using bbPress. This was built fairly quickly using one of my other themes (which are based off the default bbPress files).

If you want to check it out then have a look at: http://www.epicwebs.co.uk/content/bbpress-theme-invision-or-phpbb-feel or check it out on github https://github.com/EpicWebs/bbPress-starter-theme-epicwebs.

The theme allows you to get more of a phpBB or invision look to your forum. It uses the functions I posted previously on bbPress.org along with some css to get the forum looking nice by installing the theme. The forum should be pretty fluid so it will fit any width of site.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 136 total)

• kendorama
    Participant

@kendorama

Thanks for replying,

Do you know what I need to do if I just want to add the last topic with the poster on the right like you have?

avgmatt
    Participant

@avgmatt

I installed this theme today and its perfect. I am like others and was about to find a different forum plugin until I found this. THANK YOU

I noticed that my breadcrumbs don’t show up now. They are turned on for the rest of site but don’t show on forum page now. I would like it on the forums.

Also I looked at the teamoverpowered forum and like the recent discussions box on top. Any thoughts on how to add that?

Anonymous User 13302461
    Inactive

@anonymized-13302461

The freshness shows when the post was made as opposed to showing when the latest reply was made.

http://robssatellitetv.com/forums/

Could anyone tell me how to change this please?

Thank you

Anonymous User 13302461
    Inactive

@anonymized-13302461

I have noticed a few bugs.

The freshness is displayed wrong sometimes, seeming to point to the time the thread was made and not the latest activity, or perhaps to recent activity on the wrong thread, because:

Some topics I click on “recent post by” next to the freshness, it takes me to a completely different topic!

The forum “subscribe” link is missing

The topic “subscribe” or “unscubscribe” links make a popup box saying “Undefined”

Shame because default bbpress layout for multiple forums, categories and sub categories is awful.

Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

Your link that is supposed to display what this looks like doesn’t work in your original post.

Lynqoid
    Participant

@lynqoid

Sorry my bad, I moved stuff around and forgot to add a redirect back in, sorted now thanks for the heads up Mycelus!

NikolajR
    Participant

@nikolajr

The topic “subscribe” or “unscubscribe” links make a popup box saying “Undefined”

I got the same problem. Anything I can do to fix it?

Thaddeous
    Participant

@theig072

Hi Lynqoid!
    We love the look of your BBPress theme. It seems many people are installing this different ways though. Some are using filezilla and others their WP theme uploader. The result is that some installs are working out of the box and some are not so could you please answer a few questions for us?
    1. We are using the Dynamix Theme with a child theme we created. How exactly would I go about this install? Can you give us the step by step for all of us please? 🙂
    2. Am I correct in understanding that this file only “themes” BBPress and not the rest of our theme?
    Thanks for all your help.

email: theig072@gmail.com
    site: http://www.fretbuzz.com
    site password: test12

Thaddeous
    Participant

@theig072

As I read through this thread, I’ve seen a lot of confusion on the proper way to install the bbress Theme Lynqoid has provided. Hopefully this post can put most of those questions to rest along with a few tips.

Note: This install is not a bbPress install in and of itself and likewise should only be installed IF you wish to “re-theme” the way bbPress looks already installed on your current theme.

To install:
    1. Download the bbPress theme from Lynqioid’s Github. You can do this here:
    https://github.com/EpicWebs/bbPress-starter-theme-epicwebs

2. Open the folder so you see all the files. As of 03/18/14, you should seeing the following:
    – bbpress
    – css
    – extras
    – bbpress-functions.php
    – README.md

3. Use an ftp program (I recommend filezilla) to open up your website and follow this path:
    wp-content -> themes -> “your theme” STOP

4. Simply drag the files named in step 2 into your root theme folder and the changes should show after loading.

Tips:
    1. This files must be placed in the root of your theme folder, NOT your child theme folder.

2. Your may see a folder file within your theme that reads “bbPress” already. I am not sure if this folder was placed from the bbPress plugin or if your theme already contains its own bbPress styling….. Either way, Do not erase the original folder or place the files from step 2 into this folder even though it reads “bbPress”. Leave it. Lynqoids theme will not erase it since he has named the folder “bbpress” without a capital P. So in the end if you see two folders named “bbPress” and bbpress”, have no fear. Just remember to place the files into your root theme folder and all should be fine and dandy.

3. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself for fear of royally messing up all the long hours you have put into your bbPress forums, simply do a backup of your site and experiment without a worry.

Hope this helps. To your success!
    Cheers

Tad
    theig072@gmail.com
    http://www.fretbuzz.com

Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

Uhh I still don’t see any forums on this website…

Doremdou
    Participant

@doremdou

Hello, when we click favorite or subscribe button on a topic, it doesn’t work and show a window with “undefined” . But right click and “open new window” works.

when replacing the bbpress theme with the basic one, it does work. But when I install the starter pack https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/i-have-created-a-bbpress-starter-theme-with-a-phpbb-look-and-feel/ buttons dont work anymore and are showing “undefined”

Any ideas which file can be causing this? :/
    Thanks

Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

@doremdou I’m pretty sure I know what the issue is with the ‘Subscribe’ issue is here, I’ll write up a patch/fix for this later today.

NikolajR
    Participant

@nikolajr

@doremdou I’m pretty sure I know what the issue is with the ‘Subscribe’ issue is here, I’ll write up a patch/fix for this later today.

Got the exact same problem. Looking forward for a fix 🙂

Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

So Stephas are you also a contributor to this starter theme?

Also, is there any guide on what to style and stuff? I really love the layout, real similar to IP Board, although I noticed topics and replies are not lined up right, the alignment is centered:

http://imgur.com/cWYbyCL

Doremdou
    Participant

@doremdou

Hello, ok @netweb thank you very much! 🙂

Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

Working on it now… Should be done in ~10 mins 🙂

Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

@mycelus Can you test the following for me to see if it fixes the isssue

In your themes folder `/wp-content/themes/yourtheme/bbpress/loop-single-forum.php’

The current code is:

<li class="bbp-forum-topic-count">
    	<div class="topic-reply-counts">Topics: <?php bbp_forum_topic_count(); ?></div>
    	<div class="topic-reply-counts">Posts: <?php bbp_show_lead_topic() ? bbp_forum_reply_count() : bbp_forum_post_count(); ?></div>
    </li>

Can you change it to:

<li class="bbp-forum-topic-count"><?php bbp_forum_topic_count(); ?></li>

<li class="bbp-forum-reply-count"><?php bbp_show_lead_topic() ? bbp_forum_reply_count() : bbp_forum_post_count(); ?></li>

Does that look better now?

(I don’t have the time to fully test these ‘style’ updates, I am mainly adding the functionality for forum subscriptions)

Mycelus
    Participant

@mycelus

Nope, it remained the same, and btw, I’d be more than happy to beta test. I finished the HTML and CSS courses on Codecademy and am moving onto PHP. I won’t be able to help code really, but I can definitely test and report bugs.

Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

Per my last comment in changing the topic and reply counts the way it is currently displayed is by design and a bit too funky for me to change the CSS of these at the moment so they will stay is as. If you want to customize these then jump into the CSS. 😉

Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

This primarily fixes forum subscriptions to be compatible with bbPress v2.5.3 and v2.6alpha

* Removes ie.css that was a theme CSS file and not a bbPress CSS file
    * Updated CSS including RTL and minified versions
    * Adds user profile forums subscription management
    * Updated bbpress-functions.php to be compatable with bbPress v2.5.3 and v2.6alpha

I have tested this with bbPress v2.5.3 and v2.6alpha and the Twenty Thirteen and Twenty Fourteen themes.

Note: In the CSS I have added the responsive CSS changes via bbPress #1933 but I have kept the ‘epicwebs’ CSS after these changes so they will override any of the media queries that were introduced. This will need to be tested and tweaked so that eventually the CSS’ media queries are the last section of CSS.

You can see the ‘Pull Request’ I have submitted for @Lynq here:
    https://github.com/EpicWebs/bbPress-starter-theme-epicwebs/pull/5

Once he has had a chance to review it and merge it things will be good to go.

If you know your way around GitHub you can download that pull request and test it out.
    (In other words I’m not going to be giving GitHub tutorials today 😉 )

Doremdou
    Participant

@doremdou

Awesome @netweb thank you I will test it right now 🙂

Doremdou
    Participant

@doremdou

Ok the favorite and susbcribe buttons seems to work now 🙂
    Thank you a lot @netweb! 🙂

Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

@doremdou Thanks for testing it 🙂

Specifically as I mentioned above some CSS tweaks will be needed to match/fix/update the responsive CSS that has just been added to this. So if you could test out how this works on mobiles/tablets/desktop etc and submit pull requests and/or open issues on the GitHub issue page these things will be much easier to keep track of.

Doremdou
    Participant

@doremdou

I don’t have any mobile right now to test it out but when I do I will report any issues.
    🙂

Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

Resizing your desktop computers web browser will do the same trick 🙂

Viewing 25 replies - 76 through 100 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar