Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbpress is slow like godaddy says?

• currently i have bbpress hosted on godaddy but users complaint that the site is slow and when i go to godadday they say it is because of the coding of the site and so on. so is that true?

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

vannak, did you do the changes to bbpress bb-config.php like I said?

Your pages are still using far too many queries. About twice what they should.

I wonder if bb-topic-views is causing all the extra queries.

The front-page is using 36 queries, forum pages 32 queries.

That’s about twice what it should be.

hi _ck_ i did add this ‘$bb->load_options = true;’ into bb-config.php but i wonder that there is no functions.php in my template folder. it is strange isn’t it? anyway, thank for your help so far. maybe hostmonster is a better choice. ;)

Nice tip _ck_ that I should use myself.

Trent

Just a note, the load options trick only applies to 0.9 it is default behaviour in 1.0

my site is getting slower and having more error after raising this topic. ok i need to stop posting now and do a backup fast in case i’ll lose everything :D

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

vannak, if you activated load options, something is still wrong because it’s using 36 queries on the front page. Are you using bbPress 1.0 or bbPress 0.9 ?

Make sure your bb-topic-views plugin is the latest version (1.6.3)

The old version before I took over used excessive queries.

If you are using an earlier 1.0 alpha version, it also had excessive queries (still does on the newest version in some places).

Before you run to hostmonster or other provider, make sure you do your homework and check those suggestions I gave you.

Oh one more tip for choosing a hosting provider – if they use the word “unlimited” in any of their advertising, find another provider.

Go Daddy

@gdhosting

We have communicated with the customer and he appears to be satisfied with the resolution.

Thanks,

Alicia R.

Go Daddy Hosting

Alicia R, are you guys using NFS? I poked around your site but I can’t find the answer.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Most hosts will not admit and definitely not advertise NFS, it’s a downside, not a plus.

But you can tell if you have an account with them by studying df -a though the shell, php shell or perl cgi shell. Or if they hide/block all that you can write a script to time 1000 reads of filemtime (with clearstatcache) which cannot be cached by the OS and will have telltail lag.

Marketing-wise NFS is usually spun as “unlimited” or “expanding” storage space, like Dreamhost promises extra space each month.

I’m very curious to find out what the “resolution” was.

The latest page show shows 1.432 – 36 queries which is still poor.

hi _ck_ i’m using bbpress 0.9.2. yes i’ll do that homework as soon as i have new hosting. one more thing, there was no resolution at all from godaddy.

Talking about this, it reminds me about what godaddy did to my friend 6 months ago. her hosting acc was completely expired and everything lost. when she asked for the backup godaddy charged from her 170$US.

The problem that her acc expired is that godaddy failed to automatically renew the acc. and even she did it manually but still could not. she and i thought that it was a problem with Visa card. i suggested her send an email to godaddy not to delete her acc as she had problem with her card. she also was subscribing new card.

After getting new card, she did the renew again but still failed. finally, the hosting expired.

Then she tried to buy new hosting by using the same card. yes, she succeeded. Strange? anyway, it was her fault that she didn’t do the back up.

simracingbiz

@simracingbiz

Vannak if acc. is expired is only a trouble of your friend. I’ve also a Godaddy hosting, and about 4 months before expiring, GD sens periodically via mail a reminder… So charging for recovery data (in consequence of your forgots) in my opinion is normal.

yes, that is normal. but i just wonder why the same card couldn’t be used to renew but to buy new hosting? and she did tell them to hold her acc by email.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I’d like to see some feedback on my experimental NFS detector below.

Be sure to chmod 777 it after you upload or it won’t work.

Delete after you are finished with it for security.

Dreamhost takes over 7 seconds, sometimes more.

My apache servers with local storage take less than one second.

My Windows XP with XAMPP takes 12 seconds (old slow IDE drives)

<?php
    /*
    Experimental NFS detector - upload this file to server and chmod 777
    Script should take less than one second to run.
    If it takes more than one second, then it's likely NFS (or Windows or a bad configuration)
    Any error means the time is unreliable as the script has failed.
    */
    error_reporting(E_ALL); $file=__FILE__; $time=strtok(microtime(),' ')+strtok('');
    for ($i=0; $i<=9999; $i++) {if (touch($file)) {clearstatcache(); filemtime($file);} else {break;}}
    echo ((strtok(microtime(),' ')+strtok(''))-$time)." seconds";
    ?>

Huh. Awesome script, _ck_, you’re a goddess.

Server 1 (my personal site) – average of 0.81909894943 seconds

Server 2 (my busy site) – average of 1.08337402344 seconds

These are on identical Apache servers (actually, server 2 has more memory, but the specs are the same for the servers). Same version of Apache, PHP, SQL etc. Server 2, however, is always slow and pegging the CPU. Even when I turn off WordPress (which my isp blamed at one point) I’m hammering the hell out of the poor box.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

1&1 shared hosting:

PHP4: average 0.241

PHP5: average 0.215

1&1 root server:

PHP5: average 0.129

Another 1&1 root server:

PHP5: average 0.118

My 2 year old desktop (local SATA drive, 1GB RAM):

PHP5: average 0.265

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Thanks for the feedback Ipstenu and Chris!

When you say “1&1 root server” is that a dedicated or vps or something like that?

Interesting your desktop is very fast compared to mine, is it Windows or Linux? If it’s Windows, is it NTFS or FAT32? I wonder what my windows bottleneck is, or maybe basically it just doesn’t cache the filetables on FAT32.

I should enhance that code to show if the server is in safemode or not and what functions are disabled in PHP. Could be a handy tool for evaluating potential hosts.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

_ck_ the desktop is Linux. I think it’s Kubuntu.

On the root server at 1&1, let’s see:

The 0.129 result is this: 1&1 Root Server II (not available any more, it’s an old account)

The 0.118 result is this: 1&1 Business I Server

Their VPS offerings are something else. Not really sure what these are.

I just checked another 1&1 account I manage, another Business I Server, I got 0.199 for the first result and a consistent 0.165 for the next 10 in a row.

Hope that helps.

I think it would be cool if you extended into a host evaluation tool. But how would someone run it on the host before they have an account there?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

They could find someone else to run it.

Or some hosts have a free trial period (though that is less and less thanks to spammers).

Your linux desktop is why it is so fast.

So my theory is right, under 1 second is excellent, around 1 second is good.

Anything much higher is suspect.

But I need more NFS candidates, will have to see if I have access on some of these old servers.

Let’s see if I can run it on NearlyFreeSpeech.

Aha! They are NFS. 13.26 seconds

For those that get an error even when the file is chmod 777, you’ll have to create a testing directory and move the file into there. Then chmod 777 the directory and change the first line to

error_reporting(E_ALL); $file=dirname(__FILE__)."/test.txt"; file_put_contents($file,''); $time=strtok(microtime(),' ')+strtok('');

Turns out mine aren’t the same (exactly).

Server 1

Operating system 	Linux
    Kernel Version 2.6.9-55.0.9.ELsmp
    Apache version 1.3.41 (Unix)
    PERL version 5.8.8
    PHP version 5.2.4
    MySQL version 5.0.67-community

Server 2

Operating system 	Linux
    Kernel Version 2.6.9-67.0.4.ELsmp
    Apache version 1.3.37 (Unix)
    PERL version 5.8.8
    PHP version 5.2.1
    MySQL version 5.0.51a-community

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Well we don’t need to pinpoint exactly the server configuration as the timing will never be exactly the same twice on the same machine. But it will be within a very close range. What we are looking for are times that are way beyond one second.

I’ll do some more digging over the weekend against some of the more popular hosts.

I want to see it run on godaddy though. That will be interesting. I’m sure I can find a good discount coupon code to get the first month very cheap so I’ll give that a go if so.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

On a Windows server (GoDaddy) there isn’t such a thing as 777 permissions is there? It looks like 777 in my FTP client anyway, even though they’re not shown as such.

I get this error there:

Warning: touch() [function.touch]: Utime failed: Permission denied in D:Hosting123456htmlgodaddynfs.php on line 9
    0.00044894218444824 seconds

This is a GoDaddy Windows hosting account.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Make a directory called test, go in there and put this version of the script in there:

<?php
    /*
    Experimental NFS detector - upload this file to server and chmod 777
    Script should take less than one second to run.
    If it takes more than one second, then it's likely NFS (or Windows or a bad configuration)
    Any error means the time is unreliable as the script has failed.
    */
    error_reporting(E_ALL);
    $file=dirname(__FILE__)."/test.txt"; file_put_contents($file,'');
    $time=strtok(microtime(),' ')+strtok('');
    for ($i=0; $i<=9999; $i++) {if (touch($file)) {clearstatcache(); filemtime($file);} else {break;}}
    echo ((strtok(microtime(),' ')+strtok(''))-$time)." seconds";
    ?>

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

_ck_

I needed to change the /test.txt to \test.txt, but even once that was done, I get this error (prior to this, the filename and path were not right):

Warning: file_put_contents(D:Hosting123456htmlgodaddytesttest.txt) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in D:Hosting123456htmlgodaddytestdefault.php on line 9

Warning: touch() [function.touch]: Unable to create file D:Hosting123456htmlgodaddytesttest.txt because Permission denied in D:Hosting123456htmlgodaddytestdefault.php on line 11

0.00028681755065918 seconds

Hi _ck_ i did what you told already. and the fastest one is 9.9959759712219 seconds (in Cambodia). what do u think about it?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Sounds like it’s on NFS.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar