Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.0 – Theme Compatibility

Viewing 19 replies - 126 through 144 (of 144 total)

• Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

click on the forums link under the settings tab. On that screen, where you set the number of topics to display etc.. click save. That sets the permalinks for bbPress.

Also make sure that your actual permalinks settings page uses something other than the default top option. Chose any other option and click save.

That should get you going.

Thanks moderator :-)

I have to agree with @WhiteRau, a thorough read through the sticky post (and then his to reiterate in my mind), I was able to combine the bbpress template files with my child theme.

My question is that I’m trying to modify the output and html layout of my bbpress template files, and I can’t seem to figure out a solution.

1. My forum is on the page: Forum, and my forum base slug is: forums. Different, you see? That’s because I want to show the Latest Topics, not default to showing all my forums, when you click the menu for Forum (very much like the bbpress.org/forums).

2. I’m using a page template for the Forum page that outputs the Latest Topics, except as soon as you click away from this page, it reverts back to the default layout.

Problem: I need all the forum pages to use the same layout, preferably a custom one, and the ‘front’ Forum page to output the Latest Topics.

Any ideas?

That did the trick. Thanks for the help

I was testing the bbPress because I was dissatisfied with BuddyPress … I give up of bbPress too.. you must have confidence in a forum script to put into production .. I do not trust in bbPress… do not recommend..

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

^ Not very helpful criticism.

What didn’t you like? What was your experience? It’s very possible the problems you experienced weren’t even with bbPress.

bjj_pl
    Participant

@bjj_pl

Hi there,

I’ve got a problem with custom page templates and wordpress pages with bbcode shortcodes.

I’ve created a page “Forum “with shortcode [bbp-forum-index] and made it main Forum Page. Since most of my pages use sidebar, the one with forum index was meant to be fullwidth. I tried to set a custom page template but with no effect. The Twenty One template uses only default theme template and keep displaying sidebar.

I do know how to create custom page templates for wordpress but they just don’t work with bbpress plugin :( Anyway, I don;t know how to make bbpress work with my custom templates.

Any ideas?

Some constructive criticism, if I may.

I’ve read about a tremendous interest in using bbpress as a viable forum option. I want to start by saying I’ve been involved in open source for over 15 years myself and the work and dedication here is very admirable (remembering ROI.) People such as myself would be willing to put in some time and effort to make this project work but there are some fundamental things lacking here that give me cause for concern in using bbpress. Virtually all forums I see using are either (a) the most basic customer support, nothing long term discussion/community based, or (b) amateurish sites set up that are chop shop and will be down in a few months. It doesn’t have to be that way. Couple of things:

1. If it’s not relatively easy, simple or clear to theme bbpress, few will ever use it. Fewer will design themes for it too. And if there isn’t at least a decent, comprehensible system, nobody will use a plugin if it just typically looks like another ratcheted in plugin. Hopefully, this is not the case.

2. Organization here is a mess. I go to plugins and I see listings from 5 years ago and the top. It’s not easy to figure out what is what here. Documentation is incomplete and I remember having a terrible time installing it too – and I’m not a novice. This is the easy part that scares away many potential users.

3. Sometimes simple is too simple. Some things should be standard. For example, nobody wants to have to scroll down to the bottom of the page just to post a reply. That’s just one issue that leaped out at me. Sometimes less is just less.

4. No clear vision here, e.g. the latest blog entry is November 28 2011 and this place feels half deserted. It doesn’t have to be that way.

5. There needs to be an easier way to navigate the forums on this site. I could care less about a long list of tags I’ll rarely use. I do want that short list of forums in the sidebar or somewhere so I don’t have to click my way back to the home page.

Just a few pointers. I like this project, would love to consider using it for a large site but the ghost town effect is putting me off a little.

acoburn4
    Participant

@acoburn4

Finally got a bbPress child theme working. Just wanted to make a slight clarification, in case someone ran into the same stumbling block.

Make sure when you copy files from /bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten that you maintain the subfolder structure as well (e.g. css, js, bbpress). I was copying all files into the root of my custom wordpress theme (wp-content/themes/mytheme) without maintaining the directory structure and I was getting some strange behavior.

Hope this helps someone who might be having trouble!

villagora
    Participant

@villagora

Hi everyone,

I read the beginning of the topic cause I am very interested in building compatibility between my theme (a child theme of buddypress) and bbpress (indeed I installed the buddypress plugin and the bbpress one).

I don’t know if this has already be given as a solution (or even if it actually one :). I copied the bbp-twentyten theme and personnalized it. Then I redefined it as the default bbpress theme, in order it is the one used instead of bbp-twentyten.

What I wrote in the functions.php of my theme:

if ( class_exists('bbPress') && file_exists(%FUNCTIONS_PHP_OF_MY_BBPRESS_THEME%) ) {
    require_once %FUNCTIONS_PHP_OF_MY_BBPRESS_THEME%;
    } else {
    add_action('admin_notices', 'message_if_my_bbpress_theme_is_absent');
    }

In the functions file of my bbpress theme I have:

$bbp->theme_compat->theme = new MY_BBP_THEME();

And thus I have my child theme from buddypress safe and my second theme for bbpress used instead of bbp-twentyten.

Hope this is a good solution and it can be helpful!

Hey, villagora!

Can you tell more how you did this?

I copied the bbp-twentyten theme and personnalized it.

Did you move the copy to bbp-themes or to the wp-content/themes?

Then I redefined it as the default bbpress theme

Do you mean changes in both functions.php or making changes in core?

%FUNCTIONS_PHP_OF_MY_BBPRESS_THEME%

What is that? Should I change it to path to functions.php and should this path to be absolute?

Thanks!

Parker

@cyberparker

Ok.. so, I’m trying to make the Magazine Basic theme support bbPress. It WAS working just fine.

I don’t know what I did, but next time I went to my forums page, it looked Like This.

Can someone help me with this problem?

ok, i made the child theme. and i want to copy bbpress files but there is also one style.css file. should i copy that to the child theme?

also function.php exists both at child theme and bbpress files. what sould i do?

(i created child theme with all the main theme files exists)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

In bbPress 2.1, functions.php is replaced with bbpress-functions.php in your theme, to avoid the conflict.

before your answer i just added all bbpress theme files except style.css and function.php anda also added necessary line.

it seems allright but to make it right what steps should i take?

delete current version and start to use 2.1,

re-add the files on child theme then?

since i cant edit my question, is there any documentation for merging function.php and style.css?

i try things to merge but every time wordpress stops working.

villagora
    Participant

@villagora

Hi John,

I work on deep customisation of bbpress (http://demo.villagora.fr/forums/forum/forum-thematique/) and I’m trying to update bbpress 2.0.3 to 2.1 !
    So I’ve copied the contents of the “bbpress-theme-compat” in my bbp-theme (it’s a child of my current theme) for to modify bbpress templates / css / images…
    But after the update, my child theme does not overwrite the default bbp-theme-compat files, and I don’t understand why ?
    Can you explain me how use “add theme support” for overwrite properly bbpress template file in my child them, with bbpress 2.1?

Thanks in advanced.

USteppin
    Participant

@usteppin

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I’ve been messing with this for hours and ripping my hair out. I just installed WordPress and I’m using the Arras theme. I also just installed bbPress and I’m trying to follow this tutorial (I don’t have forum “page templates” available) but I don’t seem to have this “/bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten” folder anywhere? What could I be doing wrong?

Viewing 19 replies - 126 through 144 (of 144 total)
  • The topic ‘bbPress 2.0 – Theme Compatibility’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar