Whoa! (bbPress.org 2.0 is live)
Now the home page isn’t loading, it is redirecting to the install page.
I saw that yesterday but I thought it was me and autocomplete in my browser. Happens for me two, on two systems with either Firefox or Chrome.
Trac’d it – https://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/1275
So here’s my thing:
– Is anyone working on the theme?
– If so, who?
– Can we get some form of notification when there’s been a theme update/bug-fix?
– How often is this site getting updates from the SVN?
– What software is running the static pages? (wordPress or hacked bbPress)
I ask this because I’m never sure if something is a bug from the nightly build, a theme bug, or a bug from (what appears to be) the hacked pages from bbPress.
If we take the HomePage as an example, and seriously “the homepage is broken” should be setting alarm bells off somewhere in Automattic; i’m not sure if this is down to someone trying to fix the theme, or a nightly build error, or compatability, or just not testing or what?
With respect, the theme roll out was half-assed and for the most part untested. I’m not fussed about the font-size issue; but once again the management issue behind it. Who thought it would be a good idea to take an untested 9 month old design/theme and put it onto live enviroment with ever changing software base (nightly builds) and then not test it??
*sigh* and I was trying so hard not to complain
Yes, Mike and I are both working on the theme.
As we find bugs, we’re fixing them. Some of them are not as simple as they may seem. With respect, this is an iterative project. We rolled it out to get things going.
As Jeff Veen says, “If you’re not embarrassed when you ship your product, you waited too long.” I’d say this was a milestone for bbPress and will be perfected along the way.
bbPress.org is running trunk, however it is not automatically updating. Any errors with the homepage must have been server and/or cache related.
All of your notes and reports are more than appreciated. Thank you all!
I take that back. The homepage problem was not APC or server related. We had a small bug. It’s now resolved.
Other remaining issues are being worked on. Thank you.
Thanks very much for commenting. Lack of communication is one of the biggies that drives us nuts on this board.
It’s great that you and Mike are working on the theme; and we all appreciate that not all bugs are as simple as they look. I think we can all appreciate that rolling things out to get them going is fine too, especially as users in a real world environment will pick up more bugs that peer testing – but I also think it’s ok for us to suggest that the HOMEPAGE being broken for 2-3 days is probably a bit… uncool.
With no communication at all, we’re never sure if these random bugs are due to theme updates or software updates. We’re not sure whether pages are using wordpress or bbPress or hacks of bbPress pages to create specific views (like plugins used to); and that means that most of the time we just don’t report bugs.
As always, thanks for your time.
Download links and other infos are not displayed in several plugins. E.g.
and so on.
Check the search results for this plugin search:
I don’t think many of those 284 pages of results have anything to do with bbcode.
Much more realistic:
The download links here need to be made like the previous ones – https://bbpress.org/download/
Download links and other infos are not displayed in several plugins: Fixed.
Plugin search woes: core bbPress bug: https://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/1274
Download links and other infos are not displayed in several plugins: Fixed.
Yep, but every plugin page still displays info about an old version of it.
Luckily if you download the plugin you will end up with its most recent release.
“Add your plugin” form (https://bbpress.org/plugins/forum/requests) doesn’t function. It keeps sending me to the bb_die page “Your attempt to do this has failed.”
I have three new plugins to share with the community but right now I can’t.
email it to me! forget the community! The words are getting tinier. “Member” is really small now. I didn’t have that problem before
Some more things to do:
- These pages haven’t been styled yet – register, login, profile edit, views, favorites, post-edit, search. (Also the views of plugin section).
- Add the crumb style in plugin section too.
- Style the 404 page a bit and offer some options to go back, or search.
- Reduce the size of search textbox so that search button could reside in the same line.
- Add a subscribe to topic link in the topic sidebar.
- When you’re logged in as a member, you see something like “Welcome, Gautam | | Log Out”. One of “|” should be removed. (It might be happening because of the admin section link for admins.)
- Style the download buttons on download page, they are hardly getting highlighted.
- Add a link to lost password page.
- Enable gravatars on plugins section (I think it is running bbPress 1.0).
- Prevent the comment from going to left in plugins section (like this – https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/zaerl-editor/#post-5730 )
Some more tasks, which are big ones:
- Add a themes repo.
- Style the blog.
- Add the tags back in plugin section.
- Add stats in plugins section, Nightgunner5 had written a userscript for that – http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/63060
To repeat unfixed issues from my previous post here:
- in login form in header, username and password are not deleted when you click on it, so you need to manually delete them (this is when you are logged put, of course)
- better aligning on post form on plugin’s pages
- more margin between columns on user’s favorites page
- no subscribe to topic link (I’m now wondering could be this solved by using action topicmeta instead of hardcoding in theme since this won’t work in any theme by default)
- gravatars could be added to posts on plugin’s page too
- RSS icons on links to RSS feeds
In https://bbpress.org/plugins/forum/requests put “Plugin Description (required)” over the corresponding textarea (need just a
<br />as for “Plugin Name (required)”).
Put some space between the “Submit Comment ” button and “Allowed Tags”
This is strange. The star gif used for rating in plugin section does have a tiny gold border when displayed with gold background. (Firefox/3.6, no problem with Safari 4.0.5) I can take a screenshot.
Michael and Noel,
Dudes, we are all so greatly apprecaitive of the time and effort you’re throwing into this. And we do apprecaite that not everythings a simple bug to fix, and of course there will be some legacy stuff/hacks to deal with… But I hope you don’t take offence when we point out things like the homepage not working for days on end (why not roll back??) or:
These pages haven’t been styled yet – register, login, profile edit, views, favorites, post-edit, search
I mean, we all accept bugs, heck we’re happy to find them so we can contribute to fixing them. But to release a theme without even bothering to style 8 (minimum) out of the 27 theme files is really starting to make us all look a bit amateur. (Thats 30% btw)
These 2 links are broken (which are in forum’s footer):
I wonder, with all due respect, how cool this sort of thing would be over at WordPress.org?
Please let us know if we can help, we want to help!!
Also, i finally upgraded FireBug after notcing how much smaller the text has become again and according to that this is what I’m looking at:
font-family ‘Lucida Grande’,’Bitstream Vera Sans’,Arial,sans-serif
I don’t know what’s changed (i’ve been away at a wedding since Wednesday night), but “Member” or the role is so incredibly small its unreal. Given that Browsers struggle with decimal points of fonts, we’re looking at 8px text.
The fact that it’s italic is huge amounts of fun to read too.
As I pointed out earlier, ‘Lucida Grande’ is a MAC font and ‘Bitstream Vera Sans’ is a Linux font. I wonder if we could check the pages on systems without these fonts because 8px text is honestly a nightmare to read (especially as it’s italic).
Edit: Found the change:
The 960 layout framework, for some reason, has decided to control the text as well (brilliantly outwith its remit imo). It sets the text size as 12px, and then we set it to 70% on line 76 of “https://bbpress.org/forum-theme/bborg/style.css”.
The member title is certainly the smallest on my system and it probably the only think I would consider unreadable. It’s slightly more readable than your screenshot, but I am using Chrome on Linux, so maybe the font is already there.
The next size up in font size is all the stuff beneath the avatar (Posted 18 hours ago/IP/Edit/Delete/Spam) then the next size up, what I would consider normal, is the post text.
- The topic ‘Whoa! (bbPress.org 2.0 is live)’ is closed to new replies.