Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

SMF to bbpress

• androguider
    Participant

@androguider

I intend to move over to bbpress from my SMF 2.0.11 forum.

My WP and SMF installations are currently located on different databases. So, in order to move over to bbpress, I need to export my existing SMF installation’s database over to the WP database. My question here is do I need to import all the rows from the SMF database, or can I skip anything?

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Firstly, you should use bbPress 2.6-alpha, it has a heap of importer improvements, you can get it from this page https://bbpress.org/download/

boards, log_notify, topics, messages, and members are the only SMF tables you need, these might also be prefixed with smf_, e.g. smf_boards

androguider
    Participant

@androguider

The import was completed successfully. The imported topics still remain uncategorised though. I had a look at the support ticket at https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2380 . I tried the repair tool, but it did not work too. I had a widget on my theme’s sidebar which displayed the recent posts feed from the forums. The topics were visible there too.

I am ready to take the pain to categorise the topics themselves. Is it in an importer bug that the topics were not categorised? How can I categorise them manually?

Best Regards

The import was completed successfully.

Yay, did you use bbPress 2.6-alpha?

The imported topics still remain uncategorised though. I had a look at the support ticket at https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2380 . I tried the repair tool, but it did not work too.

You need to run each of the repair tools and that should fix those up.

That Trac ticket is quite old and really related to any of these issues.

I had a widget on my theme’s sidebar which displayed the recent posts feed from the forums. The topics were visible there too.

You’ll need to add bbPress “Recent Topics” widget to your theme, do that from the customizer.

I am ready to take the pain to categorise the topics themselves. Is it in an importer bug that the topics were not categorised? How can I categorise them manually?

It shouldn’t be a bug, but I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “I categorise them manually”?

By this do you mean that your topics are not forums?
    Do your topics not have topic-tags categorising each topic?

inforestauro
    Participant

@inforestauro

Hello, I have to convert my SMF forum ver. 1.1.21 in bbPress. I read that many have had success, you tell me, please, which plugin or procedure to use ??
    thank you

Robin W

@robin-w

install bbpress version 2.6 alpha – see above

then go to

dashboard>tools>forums>import forum and find the right importer and follow the instructions

inforestauro
    Participant

@inforestauro

Hello, I tried as you indicated to me, but I had the following negative reports.
    What do you suggest?
    In SMF forum, there are no closed discussions, but they are all open.
    Thank yo

Repair any missing information: Continue

Conversione completata

No threaded replies to convert

No anonymous reply authors to convert

Nessuna risposta da convertire

No favorites to convert

No topic subscriptions to convert

No topic tags to convert

No closed topics to close

Non vi sono elementi in evidenza extra da evidenziare

Nessun elemento in evidenza da evidenziare

No anonymous topic authors to convert

Nessuna discussione da convertire

No forum subscriptions to convert

Nessun forum genitore da convertire

Nessun forum da convertire

Inizio conversazione

inforestauro
    Participant

@inforestauro

I’m sorry, another question: Is it possible to import the forum directly from a backup of the db sql file on your PC

moedan9
    Participant

@moedan9

Hi folks,

Trouble with SMF 2.0.7 to bbpress 2.6 beta import
    Wordpress version 4.5.3

I’ve just imported the SMF forums here on my server –

http://www.holistic-counseling.ca/Forums/index.php

to bbpress here on my server:

http://nutopia.cc/Holistic-Counseling-WP/holistic-counseling-community-forums/

you’ll need to login to see.
    user [redacted]
    p/w [redacted]

At first glance, everything appears fine, although the number in the Posts column seems to be a product of adding the number of topics to the number of replies in a given forum. I don’t mind this.
    Freshness shows zero, but that’s not a big deal either bc A) I can fix the freshness (but it results in losing posts and replies in the forums. B) Once new forum posts happen, it will repopulate.

now here’s the main issue
    Upon clicking on a forum, it says:

This forum contains 8 topics and 15 replies.

Viewing 4 topics – 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

So the top area states how many topics there are accurately but then only 4 are actually displayed.
    This problem is consistent across the other forums. (sometimes only 3 or 2 are displayed when more are stated above)

Any idea what that is about? It’s the main issue.

note: i did a repair Recalculate last activity in each topic and forum
    and then the bottom forum dropped to 0 and 0.
    Any of the forum repairs that I use that involve Topics creates problems in the number of topics and replies and doesn’t fix anything.

HELP is much appreciated.

since my forums are quite small and seem to be largely well imported, I would be willing to manually fix the incorrect topics and replies in the database. But I have no idea how to do that. At this point, I am satisfied with any solution to get all the topics and posts from the other SMF forum up and running.

Strange, I’ll try to take a look at this next week @moedan9

When I do look at it though I’ll be using SMF 2.0.11 as it is the latest release.

moedan9
    Participant

@moedan9

Hooray! Thank you so much. I’m grateful and await your investigation.

moedan9
    Participant

@moedan9

Just fyi: I just upgraded to SMF 2.0.11 and did a forum reset, retried with a clean import and am still experiencing all the same issues as described above.

moedan9
    Participant

@moedan9

Hi Stephen @netweb. I Hope you can help me tackle this problem soon.
    It’s been a long while unresolved. Your help is appreciated beyond measure.

mcshane1962
    Participant

@mcshane1962

Hi guys,
    I followed the above advice, however, when I go to the import function in wordpress there is no SMF option, am I looking in the wrong place? I can see other options, blogger, twitter wordpress CSV etc, but no SMF.
    Please help

mcshane1962
    Participant

@mcshane1962

To clarify my previous comment: when I install bbpress 2.6 the forum import tool is no longer available.

mcshane1962
    Participant

@mcshane1962

I think I have to give up, i have reinstalled bbpress 2.5.15 and the Forum Import is again available. No matter what combinations I try I get no result just “No forums to convert” etc etc. What is really annoying is that I don’t get any error messages no matter what the settings even if they are gibberish, so I am at a loss to track down what is wrong.

hartiberlin
    Participant

@hartiberlin

Hi,
    can the import function also import the attachments from SMF ?
    Does it place it into the Media-Library or where ?
    Do I need to have installed the GD bbPress Attachments
    plugin, before I do the import from SMF ?
    I just tried without it and it seems it did not import
    any attachments…
    Or are the attachments at least somehow linked into the WordPress Database ?

Many thanks.
    Regards, Stefan.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar