Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

SMF Import Help Needed

• sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

I have a SMF 2.0.9 forum that I am trying to import into bbPress. When I run the built in converter it says no forums, no topics, no users and I know they are there because I have looked in the DB’s with phpMyAdmin.

It’s as though it isn’t finding the db that I am telling it to go to. I have looked in the error logs and can’t find any direction.

I want to switch this to bbPress so please advise what i should do next. I even imported it into phpBB 3.x and tried that converter but it does the same thing. When I try to count the topics or do any thing in the list it says failed.

This is what I have WordPress 4.2.1 running eleven40 Pro Theme this is a studio press theme.

Thanks,

Randal

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

• sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

I am not sure if this will help or not since nothing was imported but the url is http://www.thefrugallife.com and the smf forum is located at http://www.thefrugallife.com/smf

sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

Is there anyplace I can see an error message that might help me to diagnose the problem?

sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

can this be done with an interim phpBB 3 step? Please tell me something I can try.

Thanks,

sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

I found the problem and it was really my fault.

1. I had a password that included a character that needed to be escaped. In my case I had a ‘ in a similar manner as this. Not a real password that we use aVgt’67A. Wnen I changed it to a password that was characters and numbers it worked fine.

2. When it asked for the table name I left off the underscore. So I put down phpbb instead of phpbb_.

I hope this will help someone else if they have a similar problem.

Robkk

@robkk

sorry for not replying earlier , but im glad you solved your own issue.

Robkk

@robkk

Since you still need help on this. First do not import SMF to phpbb, just try leaving it in SMF and import from there. users have had problems importing from phpBB lately but not SMF.

You have to make sure you are not using a remote database.

Make sure to always check the import troubleshooting.

Import Troubleshooting

Run through this topic to see if you have any similar issues others may of have, and Stephen may have answered already.

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/smf-import-to-bbpress/

sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

I went through the topic link you gave me and Stephen never mentioned anything that I wasn’t doing.

My last trial that I mentioned in the post that had too many links was with smf to bbPress direct and it still failed.

Should I post two messages to divide up the links so Stephen can try to help me on this? Considering that the topic that never got posted had 4 links.

Thanks for being a big help to me on at least having some contact.

Robkk

@robkk

I just approved your post. You do not need to post another message. Try to keep any additional links posted to a minimum. As an alternative to posting multiple links to single images, you can just link to a gallery on a site like imgur.

I will try to find anything that Stephen said for missing posts during import.

Could be something that messed up during the import and stopped some posts from importing. Could be the importer template needs updating to a certain version of SMF. Heck even you might need to update because the SMF importer supports a certain version above yours.

I will try to find out more.

sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

Thanks for approving the post and I certainly will heed the links minimum from now on. I upgraded the later version and now I am getting this error.

Repair any missing information: Continue

WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'users_profile_table.the_user_id = users_table.the_user_id WHERE users_table.the_' at line 1]
    SELECT convert(users_table.the_users_id USING "utf8mb4") AS the_users_id,convert(users_table.the_users_password USING "utf8mb4") AS the_users_password,convert(users_table.the_users_password_salt USING "utf8mb4") AS the_users_password_salt,convert(users_table.the_users_username USING "utf8mb4") AS the_users_username,convert(users_table.the_users_nicename USING "utf8mb4") AS the_users_nicename,convert(users_table.the_users_email_address USING "utf8mb4") AS the_users_email_address,convert(users_table.the_users_homepage_url USING "utf8mb4") AS the_users_homepage_url,convert(users_table.the_users_registration_date USING "utf8mb4") AS the_users_registration_date,convert(users_table.the_users_status USING "utf8mb4") AS the_users_status,convert(users_table.the_users_display_name USING "utf8mb4") AS the_users_display_name,convert(users_table.the_users_aim USING "utf8mb4") AS the_users_aim,convert(users_table.the_users_yahoo USING "utf8mb4") AS the_users_yahoo,convert(users_table.the_users_jabber USING "utf8mb4") AS the_users_jabber,convert(users_profile_table.the_users_id USING "utf8mb4") AS the_users_id FROM smf_users_table AS users_table INNER JOIN smf_users_profile_table AS users_profile_table USING users_profile_table.the_user_id = users_table.the_user_id WHERE users_table.the_user_id != -1 LIMIT 0, 100

sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

I tried to find the code to actually see what is wrong with the sql statement. I followed these directions thinking the smf importer would be close by.

You can also make your own custom importer using the included Example.php located in /bbpress/includes/admin/converters/Example.php to setup an import from any SQL database.

However, I don’t have a /bbpress folder at the root is it in another subfolder? Or, has it been changed since this page was created?

Thanks,

Randal

Robkk

@robkk

You get the error from upgrading to 2.0.10??

Also I can see SMF’s changelog and it mentions this. This might have caused an issue, but it could possibly be a simple fix.

Fix for unsupported UTF8mb4 characters

Here is the current SMF.php importer in

/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/admin/converters/SMF.php

You can take a look at my gist file/download it and open in an IDE editor.

https://gist.github.com/robkk/f3a83e6da6bd6bd38f00

sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

Thanks for the code. I ran through the converter and this time it shows the correct topics and reply count until you actually look into each topic. All the topics I have checked are missing replies.

The user count is still double even though I checked purge and it said no cleanup necessary.

Looks like we are much closer so thanks for getting us there.

Do I need to do anything to the forum to make it ready? I do have some mods on it do they need to be removed? I didn’t see anywhere saying to remove them so thought I would ask.

Robkk

@robkk

It might be best to deactivate any plugins except bbPress during the import process.

sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

So you are saying to deactivate the plugins that are in WordPress?

sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

I deactivated all the plugins and now I am getting this error

WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'groups_table.forum_id = forums_table.forum_id LIMIT 0, 100' at line 1]
    SELECT convert(forums_table.the_forum_id USING "utf8mb4") AS the_forum_id,convert(forums_table.the_parent_id USING "utf8mb4") AS the_parent_id,convert(forums_table.the_topic_count USING "utf8mb4") AS the_topic_count,convert(forums_table.the_reply_count USING "utf8mb4") AS the_reply_count,convert(forums_table.the_total_topic_count USING "utf8mb4") AS the_total_topic_count,convert(forums_table.the_total_reply_count USING "utf8mb4") AS the_total_reply_count,convert(forums_table.the_forum_title USING "utf8mb4") AS the_forum_title,convert(forums_table.the_forum_slug USING "utf8mb4") AS the_forum_slug,convert(forums_table.the_forum_description USING "utf8mb4") AS the_forum_description,convert(forums_table.the_forum_order USING "utf8mb4") AS the_forum_order,convert(groups_table.forum_id USING "utf8mb4") AS forum_id FROM smf_forums_table AS forums_table INNER JOIN smf_groups_table AS groups_table USING groups_table.forum_id = forums_table.forum_id LIMIT 0, 100

I made sure I am using your revision of code. I only have the bbPress plugin activated and I put the site in maintenance mode via .htaccess

Thanks for helping me with this.

Randal

Robkk

@robkk

If that is what you meant by mods, then yes.

sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

I meant on mods the mods on the smf forum. I am on a genesis framework and there is a plugin for bbPress and the genesis framework would that be necessary to activate when doing the import?

So to recap my questions do I need to any of the following before converting?

1. inactivate all but bbPress and bbPress genesis framework plugin

2. inactivate only bbPress plugin

3. remove all mods from the smf forum before converting

Thanks,

Robkk

@robkk

Oh okay, the genesis extend plugin should be fine as it really only modifies layout styling for bbPress pages with the Genesis theme. You can try deactivating all but bbPress and the genesis extend plugin.

As for mods on your SMF forum, I am not entirely sure. It might not matter on your SMF forum.

sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

I tried again and it did complete but I have the same problem in that there are replies missing and topics missing.

In this conversion I turned off all plugins except for the two bbPress plugins.

sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

I have ran the conversion many times and this last time I created an all new smf install using a copy of the existing database. This causes the smf board I am converting from to be in a default condition with no mods or plugins. So I thought this could be the cleanest way to import the board.

However, I am still having the same issues many replies and topics are being left off. After the conversion I ran all the applicable repair tools in the importer but still no change.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Robkk

@robkk

@sharingsunshine_wp

Alright then the SMF importer might need an update or I just don’t know enough for another suggestion. I will contact Stephen later today about this.

sharingsunshine_wp
    Participant

@sharingsunshine_wp

thanks, that will be great

Robkk

@robkk

Sorry, I forgot all about your topic. Whenever I contacted the devs awhile ago, they were very busy with other bugs, tasks, tests. It might be best to hire a developer for the import as we are being backed up with other things in the bbPress plugin. Stephen might come and reply to your posts in sometime, but maybe not soon as I explained they seem busy.

You may also need to wait it out with SMF until we get the issues with the importer resolved.

Mei Ling
    Participant

@mei-ling

However, I am still having the same issues many replies and topics are being left off. After the conversion I ran all the applicable repair tools in the importer but still no change.

Do you have any other suggestions?

We met the same issue. Check your url. Delete each signs: ” , ?, …, etc. The topic are imported but not showed because of “bad url”.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar