Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Search not finding results

• teamoo
    Participant

@teamoo

Hello – I’ve installed ‘bbPress’ on my website as well as the ‘bbPress WP Tweak’ to add a nice sidebar. Both the search area located at the top of the standard ‘bbPress’ install as well as the search area found in the ‘bbPress WP Tweak’ sidebar do not reap any search results.

I have 1 topic submitted for testing. The keyword is ‘Wellsville’. The search does not find this topic.

Any ideas? I’m completely stumped and a search function is an extremely important feature.

I should also add that outside of the bbPress plugin, my sites search feature works normal.

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

• teamoo
    Participant

@teamoo

Anyone?

Robin W

@robin-w

it should do, do you have a link?

teamoo
    Participant

@teamoo

My replies don’t seem to be showing up. Can you see them?

teamoo
    Participant

@teamoo

Yes, this is very strange.

I’ve placed the link for my forum and for my “test” topic below. I’ve been searching with the word “Wellsville” as that is unique to topic below. All it returns is the newest blog post which does not have Wellsville in it anywhere.

My standard search within WordPress works as it should. Should the bbPress search be limited to the forum? That would be good.

http://www.ohio-offroad.com/forums

http://www.ohio-offroad.com/forums/topic/wellsville-still-operational/

teamoo
    Participant

@teamoo

I took the “link” code out and it posted.

teamoo
    Participant

@teamoo

Ping

Robin W

@robin-w

Not quite sure what you are ‘ping’ing?

I thought your last post was an answer to your own question.

bbpress search searches forums only.

Robkk

@robkk

@teamoo

i think just like the standard WordPress search form the bbPress search form only searches title and content but only for bbPress custom post types (forums,topics,replies).

both searchforms arent that great by default but you could enhance it with this plugin
    For a more enhanced searchform for bbPress ive seen users use this plugin.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/search-everything/

i have also seen a site just use the google custom search engine provided by google to search through their site.

But to use this properly you would have to allow bbPress custom post types to be searchable in all your site search.

teamoo
    Participant

@teamoo

Robin – I think you may have misinterpreted my last response or maybe I worded it funny. My bbPress search function is not return results.

Take a look for yourself:
    http://www.ohio-offroad.com/forums

Enter “Track” or “Trail” words that are used quite a bit. The only return you will get is my latest post which does not have these words. It does not return the 15 or so topics/replies that have this word.

My standard wordpress search works as it should but the forum search does not.

teamoo
    Participant

@teamoo

@robkk Thank you – I will check this out. Right now my search isn’t returning anything so I don’t know if this will fix it or not. But it’s worth a try.

Robin W

@robin-w

@teamoo

It could be a theme or plugin issue

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, as a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

Then come back

teamoo
    Participant

@teamoo

@robin-w Thank you for your reply. I tried both methods you suggested above and came up with the same result as before. When I search while in the forum the only return I get is my latest blog post. My latest blog post may or may not have the searched for word.

I also tried installing the plugin @robkk suggested above and it didn’t fix the problem.

Any other ideas why this would be happening?

Robkk

@robkk

the plugin only affects the normal WordPress search i think so just use the normal WordPress search for your site.

and disable the forum search in settings > forums in the back-end of WordPress

but like i said before you would have to probably enable each post type to be in the regular WordPress search.

add this to your child themes functions.php or add it to a functionality plugin.

/**
     * Include bbPress 'topic' custom post type in WordPress' search results */

function ntwb_bbp_topic_cpt_search( $topic_search ) {
    	$topic_search['exclude_from_search'] = false;
    	return $topic_search;
    }
    add_filter( 'bbp_register_topic_post_type', 'ntwb_bbp_topic_cpt_search' );

/**
     * Include bbPress 'forum' custom post type in WordPress' search results */

function ntwb_bbp_forum_cpt_search( $forum_search ) {
    	$forum_search['exclude_from_search'] = false;
    	return $forum_search;
    }
    add_filter( 'bbp_register_forum_post_type', 'ntwb_bbp_forum_cpt_search' );

/**
     * Include bbPress 'reply' custom post type in WordPress' search results  */

function ntwb_bbp_reply_cpt_search( $reply_search ) {
    	$reply_search['exclude_from_search'] = false;
    	return $reply_search;
    }
    add_filter( 'bbp_register_reply_post_type', 'ntwb_bbp_reply_cpt_search' );

when your done make sure you have search custom taxonomies in the search everything plugin settings maybe even the search every tag option too.

teamoo
    Participant

@teamoo

Hey @Robkk – I added the code you provided to my child theme’s functions.php. At that point I was able to search my entire site, including the forum, with the main search. And if we cannot figure out what the problem is with the forum search that may be my only option.

But I’d like to keep the two search functions separate at the moment. @robin-w any idea what steps I can take next to get my forum search working? The plugins/theme don’t seem to be the problem at the moment after testing.

Thank you both very much for your help so far!

teamoo
    Participant

@teamoo

@robin-w Any ideas?

Robin W

@robin-w

no sorry – I can see nothing wrong with the code – it seems fine, so don’ know why it is doing this.

as long as you have tried

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, as a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

which you say you have, then can you list all the forum settings in dashboard>settings> forums in case there’s something in there.

InquisitiveReader
    Participant

@inquisitivereader

I had the same issue. I found the problem in an the advanced excerpt plugin. Try turning off the excerpt for “search pages” in the plugin’s settings. See http://http://InquisitiveReader.com/discussion-forum/

InquisitiveReader
    Participant

@inquisitivereader

I forgot to say in the previous reply that you also need to uncheck the “strip shortcodes” and “the content” boxes in the advanced excerpt plugin. See http://inquisitivereader.com/discussion-forum/

zopfan
    Participant

@zopfan

I’m having the exact same difficulty. Can anyone help?

Whatever I search for any word in ‘Search Forums’ widget, all I get is my latest blog post, doesn’t matter that blog post has got the ‘searched word’ or not.

@teamoo
    were you able to find the cure?

@rokk
    , @robinw anyone?

Vinod Dalvi
    Participant

@vinod-dalvi

@zopfan This is old topic so let’s resolve your issue in your following topic.

‘Forums Search’ returning wrong results

danyindrawan
    Participant

@danyindrawan

Thank you! Its work for me!

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar