Bottom

Only admin can see forums

• paul-burwell
    Participant

@paul-burwell

Hi,

Running WP 4.3.1
    Running bbPress 2.5.8

Recently installed bbPress and have been trying, so far unsuccessfully, to have it function the way it should. If a user is logged in (standard user) or not logged in and they try to access the forum (https://bsop.staging.wpengine.com/forum/lightroom-2/) they get a 404 error. If I log in as an admin I can visit that URL without issue.

I’ve tried every one of the debugging suggestions (deactivated everything but bbPress, used the 2012 theme, reset permalinks, reinstalled bbPress, etc.)

I finally activated the WP_Debug flag and see the following error being thrown:

Notice: bbp_setup_current_user was called incorrectly. The current user is being initialized without using $wp->init(). Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 2.3.) in /nas/wp/www/staging/bsop/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3622

I’m testing on my staging server through WP_Engine so I have full ability to play as required to resolve this.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Paul

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• paul-burwell
    Participant

@paul-burwell

I have also now tried reinstalling WordPress and still have the exact same issue.

I could really use a hand trying to solve this.

Thanks,

Paul

paul-burwell
    Participant

@paul-burwell

This has been solved.

Strangely, if a forum is marked as hidden, it actually is.

Who’d of thought it?

What confused me is that I am using this in conjunction of LearnDash and BuddyPress. And their integrations with each other. Strangely, BuddyPress still allows users to access Forums marked as Hidden.

Paul

GraphicsbyEB
    Participant

@graphicsbyeb

WHAT DID YOU DO??? I’ve been wrestling with this for days!
    I’m also using LearnDash and BuddyPress, and I need one course to have several groups with their own forums that are private/hidden from other groups. Is this what you were able to resolve?

GraphicsbyEB
    Participant

@graphicsbyeb

Clarification:
    I have created 2 hidden groups, each with their own hidden forum. If I am logged in as a user in Group A, I can access the Group A forum. Yay!
    But, I can also see the hidden forum link for Group B (not assigned to this user), which sends me to an endless 404 loop for all pages. I can’t even log out.
    Is this what you were seeing in your first post?
    Please forgive me for jumping on your thread…I just really need help!

Robkk

@robkk

@paul-burwell

Yeah only Admins and moderators can see hidden forums. Private forums are forums for only logged in users though, participants can see private forums too.

I will test to see if there is a bug with BuddyPress groups later today.

GraphicsbyEB
    Participant

@graphicsbyeb

Thanks for replying…
    So, when you say “This has been solved.” do you mean that instead of hidden, you set the forums to private?
    I still get a random 404 loop when logged in as a participant rather than an admin. Did you resolve this as well?

paul-burwell
    Participant

@paul-burwell

Hi @graphicsbyeb,

Yes, that’s what I meant.

I don’t want to use the BuddyPress “Course Discussion” button. That view looks amateurish and not usable to me. So, I just have my users access the private forums.

Hope that helps.

Paul

GraphicsbyEB
    Participant

@graphicsbyeb

Paul,
    I THINK I FIXED IT!!!
    Check out http://www.rewweb.co.uk/bbp-private-groups/
    Very simple plugin that allows for tons of group versatility!
    You’ve been so helpful and responsive today, thought I’d pass it on to you and others looking for the same solution.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar