Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

New bbP plugin install, users cannot create topics

• This is an issue I’ve seen several times with my heavily customized production site, and I have assumed it was related to my custom work. I decided to start a fresh install and see about re-integrating with the current trunk, and “do it right” this time.

However, with a brand new bbP install, running the included 2010 theme, logged in users with the “subscriber” role, still can’t create topics at all. In fact nobody but admin can.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Users just get the

Sorry!
    You cannot create new topics at this time.

error on any forum page.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@tooltrainer – As a bit of advice, these forums don’t have enough traffic to necessitate bumping your topic after only an hour or two of no response. It’s also really draining to read really long replies that only repeat your frustrations instead of providing any more insight. I can tell this is something you’re experiencing and obviously very passionate about, but no one else has experienced this so far. Remember this is *prerelease* software. If you’re relying on it to function 100% correctly all the time on a live site, then you’re breaking rules #1 and #2 of test-club. :)

If it’s a bug, then it will get fixed. If you have access to IRC and want more personal, live help, join #bbpress on freenode and I can try to help you there when we’re both around.

It sounds like it’s a permalink problem. Go to Admin > Settings > Forums and resave your settings. Let me know if that fixes it?

Thanks John, and I was actually trying to provide more specific detail as to the problem so someone could help me understand and maybe fix it.

Saved permalinks again (have done so many many times), no change at all.

Just for fun I freshly installed yet another copy of bbP and trunk 3147 this time, no change.

Really sorry if I’m seeming like a nuisance, I just don’t understand at all how I can be the only person seeing this, and I was really put off by the closing of my bug as “expected behavior”. I know it’s not expected for users to never be able to create topics, is it? =)

Any other suggestions on how to troubleshoot this are appreciated. Also to be clear, a couple weeks ago this DID work just fine. Users of all levels were able to create topics and I had no issues with it at all. That’s part of why I’m so upset… everything was going so well and I was absolutely loving it, that to have it just randomly blow up like this in such a reproducible fashion, is a bit maddening.

Thanks for your help as always…

Jonathan

Thanks John, and I was actually trying to provide more specific detail as to the problem so someone could help me understand and maybe fix it.

Saved permalinks again (have done so many many times), no change at all.

Just for fun I freshly installed yet another copy of bbP and trunk 3147 this time, no change.

Really sorry if I’m seeming like a nuisance, I just don’t understand at all how I can be the only person seeing this, and I was really put off by the closing of my bug as “expected behavior”. I know it’s not expected for users to never be able to create topics, is it? =)

Any other suggestions on how to troubleshoot this are appreciated. Also to be clear, a couple weeks ago this DID work just fine. Users of all levels were able to create topics and I had no issues with it at all. That’s part of why I’m so upset… everything was going so well and I was absolutely loving it, that to have it just randomly blow up like this in such a reproducible fashion, is a bit maddening.

Thanks for your help as always…

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

What about deactivating and reactivating bbPress? It sounds like your caps aren’t being applied correctly.

To be clear, there are subscribers posting over at testbp.org/discussion perfectly fine, and it’s running exactly the same code you are. Your video was helpful, and it’s really odd that it’s happening for you like that.

What versions of WordPress are you using? I suppose it’s possible it’s a WordPress 3.1 issue, since I’ve moved on to testing with WP3.2 the past two weeks or so. I’ll revert back to 3.1 and see if that changes anything.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

What about deactivating and reactivating bbPress? It sounds like your caps aren’t being applied correctly.

To be clear, there are subscribers posting over at testbp.org/discussion perfectly fine, and it’s running exactly the same code you are. Your video was helpful, and it’s really odd that it’s happening for you like that.

What versions of WordPress are you using? I suppose it’s possible it’s a WordPress 3.1 issue, since I’ve moved on to testing with WP3.2 the past two weeks or so. I’ll revert back to 3.1 and see if that changes anything.

WordPress 3.1.2 and I’ve reactivated many times… no change. Just did it again right now.

I agree this is the strangest issue, and that’s part of why I’m so passionate about it. In a “former life” I was a software QA engineer and a bug like this would just never sit well with me. ;)

Possibly related note, it seems that after reactivation I also have to re-save my permalinks… could be related to the flushing problem I’ve seen you mention elsewhere.

Let me know if by chance you spot anything when you regress to 3.1! There has to be an explanation for this… there just has to be!

Jonathan

WordPress 3.1.2 and I’ve reactivated many times… no change. Just did it again right now.

I agree this is the strangest issue, and that’s part of why I’m so passionate about it. In a “former life” I was a software QA engineer and a bug like this would just never sit well with me. ;)

Possibly related note, it seems that after reactivation I also have to re-save my permalinks… could be related to the flushing problem I’ve seen you mention elsewhere.

Let me know if by chance you spot anything when you regress to 3.1! There has to be an explanation for this… there just has to be!

Jonathan

Oh also in case this helps, anonymous posting is also not possible. I can enable it but guests are not allowed to create topics at all either.

Jonathan

Oh also in case this helps, anonymous posting is also not possible. I can enable it but guests are not allowed to create topics at all either.

Jonathan

VERY interesting additional data!!

1. I have a programmer in Pakistan (I’m in California), and she sees the identical bad behavior on her local machine using WP 3.1.2.

2. I remotely accessed a computer at another location and used it to download and install a fresh copy of the bbP Plugin, thinking maybe by some totally bizarre circumstance it had something to do with my local machine (virus, who knows what). No change at all, still can’t create topics.

3. Programmer tried WP3.2b1 on her local machine, same problem, identical in every way.

4. I tried WP3.2b1 on my server (same one I’ve been using this whole time) and…

IT WORKS!!!!

http://cloudsharehost.com/wp3.2/forums/

user & password of “test”. User is a normal subscriber and can post topics as expected.

NO problem whatsoever.

This was using https://wordpress.org/wordpress-3.2-beta1.zip

Identical install process of 3147 bbP plugin. NO change at all.

So what does this tell us??? I really have no idea but I’m hoping someone else does.

Jonathan

VERY interesting additional data!!

1. I have a programmer in Pakistan (I’m in California), and she sees the identical bad behavior on her local machine using WP 3.1.2.

2. I remotely accessed a computer at another location and used it to download and install a fresh copy of the bbP Plugin, thinking maybe by some totally bizarre circumstance it had something to do with my local machine (virus, who knows what). No change at all, still can’t create topics.

3. Programmer tried WP3.2b1 on her local machine, same problem, identical in every way.

4. I tried WP3.2b1 on my server (same one I’ve been using this whole time) and…

IT WORKS!!!!

http://cloudsharehost.com/wp3.2/forums/

user & password of “test”. User is a normal subscriber and can post topics as expected.

NO problem whatsoever.

This was using https://wordpress.org/wordpress-3.2-beta1.zip

Identical install process of 3147 bbP plugin. NO change at all.

So what does this tell us??? I really have no idea but I’m hoping someone else does.

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Sounds like it works on 3.2, but not 3.1.

I’ll take a look and see what’s changed.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Sounds like it works on 3.2, but not 3.1.

I’ll take a look and see what’s changed.

It does appear that way at first glance, but can you confirm the problem on 3.1 yourself? I still have a hard time believing that there is an actual bug with 3.1, and yet I’m the only person to have seen it. I’m just not that lucky. ;)

The tester in me wants to see some corroboration from someone outside my immediate circle, of the issue I’m seeing.

Anyone?

Jonathan

It does appear that way at first glance, but can you confirm the problem on 3.1 yourself? I still have a hard time believing that there is an actual bug with 3.1, and yet I’m the only person to have seen it. I’m just not that lucky. ;)

The tester in me wants to see some corroboration from someone outside my immediate circle, of the issue I’m seeing.

Anyone?

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I am definitely outside of your immediate circle, and am running the bbPress plugin over at testbp.org/discussion. A site with over 22k subscribed users that are able to post in those forums with no issues. :)

Not saying there isn’t a bug somewhere, just saying it hasn’t manifested itself on my installs yet.

Also, the bug isn’t in WordPress 3.1, or 3.2. It’s probably in how I’m handling the query differences between the two versions, as some of the advanced meta type queries are being fine-tuned.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I am definitely outside of your immediate circle, and am running the bbPress plugin over at testbp.org/discussion. A site with over 22k subscribed users that are able to post in those forums with no issues. :)

Not saying there isn’t a bug somewhere, just saying it hasn’t manifested itself on my installs yet.

Also, the bug isn’t in WordPress 3.1, or 3.2. It’s probably in how I’m handling the query differences between the two versions, as some of the advanced meta type queries are being fine-tuned.

Interesting… I guess what has me puzzled is that I would expect something like this to be universal – either everyone using 3.1 with bbPp sees it or they don’t. Clearly that’s not the case, although my coder in Pakistan sees the identical behavior that I do.

I wasn’t sure what version of WP (or the plugin for that matter ;) you were running on testbp.org and wanted to see if anyone else running the identical setup as me, was seeing the same issue. Nobody has chimed in seeing they do so, either it’s just me or nobody else is following this thread.

ANyway, I’m really hoping you manage to spot something specific that is causing this so that it can be fixed. As great as it is that it doesn’t occur in 3.2, obviously I’m not going to upgrade to that in its very first beta, on a real site.

Still in limbo on what exactly I’m going to do, I need my forums working by Monday… kinda freaking out as to what to do if you’re not able to identify the issue and a fix any time really soon.

Thanks as always,

Jonathan

Interesting… I guess what has me puzzled is that I would expect something like this to be universal – either everyone using 3.1 with bbPp sees it or they don’t. Clearly that’s not the case, although my coder in Pakistan sees the identical behavior that I do.

I wasn’t sure what version of WP (or the plugin for that matter ;) you were running on testbp.org and wanted to see if anyone else running the identical setup as me, was seeing the same issue. Nobody has chimed in seeing they do so, either it’s just me or nobody else is following this thread.

ANyway, I’m really hoping you manage to spot something specific that is causing this so that it can be fixed. As great as it is that it doesn’t occur in 3.2, obviously I’m not going to upgrade to that in its very first beta, on a real site.

Still in limbo on what exactly I’m going to do, I need my forums working by Monday… kinda freaking out as to what to do if you’re not able to identify the issue and a fix any time really soon.

Thanks as always,

Jonathan

Hey, thanks for the zip link!!! I tried out both the bbp v.3147 and bbp v. 3153 on wp v.3.12 and was able to reproduce the same error in which the logged-in user could not create a new topic. Have not dl’d the wp 3.2b1 (thanks for that link, too) yet though but am guessing it will work fine.

Hey, thanks for the zip link!!! I tried out both the bbp v.3147 and bbp v. 3153 on wp v.3.12 and was able to reproduce the same error in which the logged-in user could not create a new topic. Have not dl’d the wp 3.2b1 (thanks for that link, too) yet though but am guessing it will work fine.

Wonderful Fartliek! Thank you so much for confirming this issue! Here’s to hoping for a fast fix!

Jonathan

Wonderful Fartliek! Thank you so much for confirming this issue! Here’s to hoping for a fast fix!

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Confirmed on a fresh installation. Working on a fix.

This is me, apologizing… with a fix! :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Confirmed on a fresh installation. Working on a fix.

This is me, apologizing… with a fix! :)

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar