Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

New bbP plugin install, users cannot create topics

• This is an issue I’ve seen several times with my heavily customized production site, and I have assumed it was related to my custom work. I decided to start a fresh install and see about re-integrating with the current trunk, and “do it right” this time.

However, with a brand new bbP install, running the included 2010 theme, logged in users with the “subscriber” role, still can’t create topics at all. In fact nobody but admin can.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Users just get the

Sorry!
    You cannot create new topics at this time.

error on any forum page.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • Just to make sure, I just installed on another copy of WP on a totally different server… stock everything, no other plugins or themes, etc. 100% original WP and bbP code.

Same problem, users with role < admin cannot create topics, no matter what.

Here is the test install:

http://cloudsharehost.com/test/forums/

feel free to log in as user test, password test

I’m really at a loss here, my coder and I are totally dead in the water right now without a solution to this. =(

Jonathan

Just to make sure, I just installed on another copy of WP on a totally different server… stock everything, no other plugins or themes, etc. 100% original WP and bbP code.

Same problem, users with role < admin cannot create topics, no matter what.

Here is the test install:

http://cloudsharehost.com/test/forums/

feel free to log in as user test, password test

I’m really at a loss here, my coder and I are totally dead in the water right now without a solution to this. =(

Jonathan

WOAH! Very interesting development…

In the admin bar, users can select “New Topic” and create a topic! They can then view that topic from their admin area, no problem. However at the public facing site, the topic will not be visible at all.

The admin can then log in and see that the topic is not assigned to any forum. Assigning it to a forum, causes it to suddenly appear for all to see.

I feel strongly that this is a bug, though I can’t imagine how nobody else has seen this since it’s core functionality broken. Very strange. I’m going to report this in trac just in case.

Jonathan

WOAH! Very interesting development…

In the admin bar, users can select “New Topic” and create a topic! They can then view that topic from their admin area, no problem. However at the public facing site, the topic will not be visible at all.

The admin can then log in and see that the topic is not assigned to any forum. Assigning it to a forum, causes it to suddenly appear for all to see.

I feel strongly that this is a bug, though I can’t imagine how nobody else has seen this since it’s core functionality broken. Very strange. I’m going to report this in trac just in case.

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Interesting, how is this a duplicate or related though? From reading the bug 1469, it doesn’t seem to be related at all.

In my case, this is stopping me from even setting up a new bbP install. I can’t create a single topic as a user, that will show up anywhere on the site unless an admin manually references it to a specific forum. I suppose that’s where the “orphaned” bit comes into play? But this is in my opinion a total and complete blocker. How can anyone actually install and use bbP right now?

This is what has me so stumped. From what I’m seeing, I would think every person using the bbP plugin would be freaking out over this, since the entire core functionality of the plugin is broken – i.e. nobody can post a topic. I’ve seen this 4 different times on 3 different installs on two different servers, so I’m really not thinking it’s a server config. But since nobody else seems to be complaining of this… makes me think it’s just me.

Is this some error on my part? If so PLEASE tell me what I’ve done wrong as my entire site (which is supposed to go live on Monday…. sigh) is hanging in the balance.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Interesting, how is this a duplicate or related though? From reading the bug 1469, it doesn’t seem to be related at all.

In my case, this is stopping me from even setting up a new bbP install. I can’t create a single topic as a user, that will show up anywhere on the site unless an admin manually references it to a specific forum. I suppose that’s where the “orphaned” bit comes into play? But this is in my opinion a total and complete blocker. How can anyone actually install and use bbP right now?

This is what has me so stumped. From what I’m seeing, I would think every person using the bbP plugin would be freaking out over this, since the entire core functionality of the plugin is broken – i.e. nobody can post a topic. I’ve seen this 4 different times on 3 different installs on two different servers, so I’m really not thinking it’s a server config. But since nobody else seems to be complaining of this… makes me think it’s just me.

Is this some error on my part? If so PLEASE tell me what I’ve done wrong as my entire site (which is supposed to go live on Monday…. sigh) is hanging in the balance.

Thanks!

Jonathan

I see from the bug closure, how one aspect of it is an orphaned post problem.

And I totally understand that there are possible situations where that could happen.

But I’m seeing that users can NEVER post topics, period, at all. Ever. How is it possible that bbP could be used by anyone if this was the case?

It’s not that they can post topics, and occasionally they get orphaned. Users are greeted with the “Sorry you can’t create topics” error at all times, in all forums, no matter what.

Sure I noticed a semi-workaround by using the admin bar, which resulted in the orphaned topics.

But that isn’t what the bug was originally about. The point was that users are plain & simply not permitted to create topics via the normal forum interface.

What’s even more confusing to me, is that this was working fine about 3 updates ago (updates for me, there have been numerous builds between then and now). I don’t know exactly when the problem started happening because I wasn’t testing for that specific functionality for a little while. All I know is that a week ago I could post topics without any issue, as a subscriber level user. And now I can’t.

This is a complete and total loss of usability of the bbP plugin, and I don’t see anyone else complaining of it so this problem must just be happening to me… and yet I can reproduce the bad behavior on multiple clean installs on multiple servers.

Forgive my frustration please, I haven’t gotten much sleep in the last couple weeks and problems like this that simply make no sense, are keeping me from making actual progress on the most critical component of my site – the forum. Right now, users can simply not use it at all, which will be very very bad for me. =(

So I’m appealing for some help, advice, pointers – anything! I just have no idea what to do, to get something as simple as user topic creation, working again. I love the bbP plugin and it’s the only forum solution I want to use, but obviously it’s gotta work!

Thanks,

Jonathan

I see from the bug closure, how one aspect of it is an orphaned post problem.

And I totally understand that there are possible situations where that could happen.

But I’m seeing that users can NEVER post topics, period, at all. Ever. How is it possible that bbP could be used by anyone if this was the case?

It’s not that they can post topics, and occasionally they get orphaned. Users are greeted with the “Sorry you can’t create topics” error at all times, in all forums, no matter what.

Sure I noticed a semi-workaround by using the admin bar, which resulted in the orphaned topics.

But that isn’t what the bug was originally about. The point was that users are plain & simply not permitted to create topics via the normal forum interface.

What’s even more confusing to me, is that this was working fine about 3 updates ago (updates for me, there have been numerous builds between then and now). I don’t know exactly when the problem started happening because I wasn’t testing for that specific functionality for a little while. All I know is that a week ago I could post topics without any issue, as a subscriber level user. And now I can’t.

This is a complete and total loss of usability of the bbP plugin, and I don’t see anyone else complaining of it so this problem must just be happening to me… and yet I can reproduce the bad behavior on multiple clean installs on multiple servers.

Forgive my frustration please, I haven’t gotten much sleep in the last couple weeks and problems like this that simply make no sense, are keeping me from making actual progress on the most critical component of my site – the forum. Right now, users can simply not use it at all, which will be very very bad for me. =(

So I’m appealing for some help, advice, pointers – anything! I just have no idea what to do, to get something as simple as user topic creation, working again. I love the bbP plugin and it’s the only forum solution I want to use, but obviously it’s gotta work!

Thanks,

Jonathan

Is nobody else seeing this? Really?? Can someone else please try setting up a new bbP install, create a user with subscriber role, and tell me if that user can create topics?

I just can’t believe I’m the only one experiencing this if it’s genuinely a bug. I’m in real trouble if I can’t find the solution to this right away. =(

Thanks,

Jonathan

Is nobody else seeing this? Really?? Can someone else please try setting up a new bbP install, create a user with subscriber role, and tell me if that user can create topics?

I just can’t believe I’m the only one experiencing this if it’s genuinely a bug. I’m in real trouble if I can’t find the solution to this right away. =(

Thanks,

Jonathan

I tried to help you out by going to my own WP install and attempted to use the plugin and got an error “The plugin does not have a valid header.” which, when researched, the answers say that the bbpress plugin is not actually a plugin, so color me confused! What step did you use to incorporate your bbpress with your WP?

I tried to help you out by going to my own WP install and attempted to use the plugin and got an error “The plugin does not have a valid header.” which, when researched, the answers say that the bbpress plugin is not actually a plugin, so color me confused! What step did you use to incorporate your bbpress with your WP?

Well it is a plugin, not sure who said it wasn’t? Not to be confused with the bbPress standalone software, which is totally different but bears the same name.

I simply install the plugin, create a page called “forums” so it can function, create a forum, create a user with role of “subscriber”, and login in as that user and attempt to post a topic in the forum.

I’m told I’m unable to create topics at this time.

Jonathan

Well it is a plugin, not sure who said it wasn’t? Not to be confused with the bbPress standalone software, which is totally different but bears the same name.

I simply install the plugin, create a page called “forums” so it can function, create a forum, create a user with role of “subscriber”, and login in as that user and attempt to post a topic in the forum.

I’m told I’m unable to create topics at this time.

Jonathan

Oh, I see…I’m in way over my head, tooltrainer. Did you mean the one from SVN trunk? I tried to install it and got an error, saying it was searching for a file in a directory (/backpress) that did not exist.

Oh, I see…I’m in way over my head, tooltrainer. Did you mean the one from SVN trunk? I tried to install it and got an error, saying it was searching for a file in a directory (/backpress) that did not exist.

backpress? I think that’s something else completely… I’m using this:

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/3147/branches/plugin?old_path=%2F&format=zip

Thanks for your efforts!!!

Jonathan

backpress? I think that’s something else completely… I’m using this:

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/3147/branches/plugin?old_path=%2F&format=zip

Thanks for your efforts!!!

Jonathan

According to the old adage, this video is worth a minimum of 1,605,000 words:

http://screencast.com/t/LjIvR2z9O9

Jonathan

According to the old adage, this video is worth a minimum of 1,605,000 words:

http://screencast.com/t/LjIvR2z9O9

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@tooltrainer – As a bit of advice, these forums don’t have enough traffic to necessitate bumping your topic after only an hour or two of no response. It’s also really draining to read really long replies that only repeat your frustrations instead of providing any more insight. I can tell this is something you’re experiencing and obviously very passionate about, but no one else has experienced this so far. Remember this is *prerelease* software. If you’re relying on it to function 100% correctly all the time on a live site, then you’re breaking rules #1 and #2 of test-club. :)

If it’s a bug, then it will get fixed. If you have access to IRC and want more personal, live help, join #bbpress on freenode and I can try to help you there when we’re both around.

It sounds like it’s a permalink problem. Go to Admin > Settings > Forums and resave your settings. Let me know if that fixes it?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar