Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Login using Facebook Connect

• The facebook connect system will be launched shortly, could we use this to login to bbpress and thus integrate with an already ‘connected’ wordpress site?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • An interesting idea. Just read about Facebook Connect and it sounds promising to help solve the registration “deadlock”.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I’m actually testing this as we speak. The plug-in itself is written rather poorly and is ultimately just a WordPress widget. I will report back once I have more experience with it.

Logging on to bbPress through “facebook connect system” is possible in which version? Are we discussing with respect to version 9.0.3?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

@lyrics, it’s not possible with ANY version right now that I know of.

http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/Facebook_Connect

Sounds like it could work as a plugin, but I haven’t heard of one yet. This topic was the first I heard of it in relation to bbPress.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Facebook just needs to offer OpenID like everyone else, not yet another proprietary standard.

The OpenID plugin for bbPress is nearly finished, I have an early working version, just need to finish the new account code.

Someone wrote a Facebook OpenID gateway somewhere, can’t find it at the moment.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I agree 100% – OpenID.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Speaking of OpenID I need more testers on the OpenID prototype to give me feedback. It works with both 0.9 and 1.0

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/openid/

Feedback given on the plugin page.

any change? its been a while since fb connect was launched. surely the popular facebook conect plugin for wordpress can be slightly adapted to work as a bbpress plugin too? or am i way off?

Unless I am missing something, it creates a user in WP doesn’t it? Then it would have to be using the site cookies right? If you have a proper cookie integrated site wouldn’t that then make you also logged into bbPress? This is all theory of course as I just saw the FB connect WP plugin today…..

myballard
    Participant

@myballard

To me, this would be the single most important bbPress feature imaginable. Facebook, not OpenID.

@trent

That’s how the plugins operate. WP user is created when logged in w/Facebook, so when used with an integrated bbPress, the cookie would carry over, and the user should too.

Integrating Facebook Connect w/ bbPress or WordPress, IMO, is incredibly more significant than OpenID ever was. Most of my users had no idea what it was when we used it for logins, didn’t think the redirect was safe, and thought it was way more work than needed, but when we put Facebook Connect up, registrations and comments went up. It’s easier to tell someone that they can login using something they use frequently as opposed to explaining how/what OpenID is. Facebook seems more usable.

superann

@superann

I find FB Connect a bit annoying as it’s really not giving you any information about your visitor… I mean, most profiles are private and I’d much rather be able to check out my visitor’s preferred website than just see a small picture of them (or often someone/thing random) on their FB profile. Couple that with not even being able to contact them (no email) and they may as well be anonymous.

feastoffools

@feastoffools

Doesn’t Facebook Connect collect the emails of the users who log in?

superann

@superann

Nope, no email. They make you have to go through facebook if you want to contact a user, so any email notifications plugins you might be using would be rendered useless.

Shagalaga

@shagalaga

Facebook connect would be great!

saxsux

@saxsux

_ck_:

Someone wrote a Facebook OpenID gateway somewhere, can’t find it at the moment.

Could you be thinking of Identitude?

I think it’s been down for quite some time, unfortunately.

On a side note, Facebook joined the OpenID Foundation last month:

http://openid.net/2009/02/05/facebook-joins-openid-foundation-board/

sheatsb

@sheatsb

superann:

Nope, no email. They make you have to go through facebook if you want to contact a user, so any email notifications plugins you might be using would be rendered useless.

Actually, that’s not true. You can collect a proxy email that goes directly to the person’s inbox and can be sent using your app.

Facebook Developers – Proxied Email

feastoffools

@feastoffools

I’d love to see WordPress, Bbpress and Facebook Connect working beautifully in unison. Will this dream come true? Any suggestions?

superann

@superann

Actually, that’s not true. You can collect a proxy email that goes directly to the person’s inbox and can be sent using your app.

Whoa sweet, sheatsb! That does make it friendlier and a bit more worth looking into… why hasn’t anyone written this into their plugins?

superann

@superann

Hmm proxied email seems to be not working…

http://forum.developers.facebook.com/viewtopic.php?id=29568

neorage

@neorage

at the moment i think the only way to keep wordpress, bbpress and FB connect togheter is through an iframe that shows wordpress fb connect widget in bbpress.

somebody knows how to do that?

ear1grey

@ear1grey

To me, this would be the single most important bbPress feature imaginable. Facebook, not OpenID.

–myballard.

OpenID is a means of authentication. Facebook is an authenticator. The problem is that the autenticator has opted for it’s own proprietary means of authentication, rather than using OpenID. In addition to its own API, Facebook could, should and probably will support OpenID. As of last month, Facebook has joined OpenID, but they’ve not implemented anything that I know of yet.

Next time you’re on Facebook, search for “Facebook should support OpenID” – there’s 800+ folks who agree. Which is a start, given that it’s developers, not hoi polloi, who are going to be concerned with this.

Facebook connect would be great!

The question I’d like to know is can one use Facebook Connect to login to bbpress? So if I had a bbpress installation on my site, instead of users signing up in order to post, they could just use Facebook Connect.

Any examples of sites already doing this? Or do you know of any other forum software that has implemented it?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar