Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Is BBPress being maintained?

• w3215
    Participant

@w3215

Hi. I recently installed BBPress and was surprised the latest version for installation was 2.5.14. I also get a notice that the plugin “has not been tested with your current version of WordPress.”

Is BBPress being maintained? What is the expected timing for 2.6?

Performance/speed is important to me, and last I looked into it 2.6 was supposed to be a big improvement.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

• w3215
    Participant

@w3215

One follow-up note. When I investigated how performant bbpress is, I came across this discussion–saying essentially “don’t worry, version 2.6 is almost here, and it is very fast”. That discussion was over 4 years ago.

BBPress for HUGE forums? Capable?

What is the status of bbpress?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Yes. It’s just stable. I will bump these shortly.

austex
    Participant

@austex

Any chance of an update?

Gomle
    Participant

@gomle

I also would like to know if there is any future updates planned on good old bbpress.
    Compared to Discourse and a few others, bbpress is a little outdated now. I understand there is less (if not none) money involved for the people that works on bbpress – but still, it would be nice with an update.

What’s going on? 🙂

theatereleven
    Participant

@theatereleven

I’m chiming in here too – Trying to decide whether to use Discourse or WordPress. BBPress seems to be the only reliable and clean option for WP, but I need to know there’s a future before investing the time. Thanks anyone for an update!

Tomas Platz
    Participant

@tomplatz

Hi there. So as I understood we can upload new update 2.6 and it works well so far?

austex
    Participant

@austex

Ironically, this thread is the last time that @johnjamesjacoby the (bbPress project lead) posted on bbPress.org.

Maybe somebody can ask him on twitter https://twitter.com/JJJ

austex
    Participant

@austex

Okay, just check the dev tracker. JJJ put some work in last month on 2.6.

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/report/1?sort=modified&asc=0&page=1

austex
    Participant

@austex

Looked further, it’s “99%” complete:

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/milestone/2.6

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Hey everyone! I got a nudge from @jeffr0 that this thread had some replies, and I just wanted to chime in and say thank you, very much, for being patient.

I understand everyone’s feelings. I get where they come from.

bbPress is a 15 year old piece of forum software based on and specifically for WordPress. The last thing it will ever do is die. (That’s a terrible play on words, but keep reading!)

The GPL (and it being open-source in general) guarantee everyone that as different people use it, different people will contribute to it, and it will continue to grow, evolve, and be iterated on in perpetuity.

It being based entirely on WordPress gives it one of the largest and most stable foundations to be built off of.

The projects spiritual commitment to backwards compatibility through the years means that as the software grows, your content will always grow with it.

Other forum projects have made sweeping changes without migration paths from old to new versions. bbPress as a project simply appreciates and respects its users and their communities and content too much to not provide great tools to scale your community along with the software.

bbPress as a project gets developed in bursts. Like it or not, I think that’s the honest truth. If you look at its life as a piece of software as a whole, there is a ton of evidence to support the idea that sometimes a few months will go by with nothing, and then a few months will go by with tons of activity.

The dips might make your stomach drop at first, but it’s a long ride… a fun ride… and one that I hope others see from a distance as a beautiful effort. One that provides a platform that empowers WordPress users to give their visitors a simple, clean, and dedicated place to enjoy communicating with each other.

Lastly… strictly on numbers alone, WordPress.org relies heavily on bbPress as the primary method of communication & support for over 75k plugins in 200 languages, and 11 million registered users. bbPress is actively installed in over 340k websites. It’s a fraction of the total WordPress installs (but if the numbers on builtwith and other tools are accurate) it is currently the most widely installed piece of forum software in the world.

bbPress will never die. It will only get better.

Thank you, everyone, again, for being patient and for your interest in bbPress. It’s a pretty cool piece of software with some of the best contributors and forum moderators around! I’m working on bbPress everyday, sometimes in my head, and sometimes on other projects that bbPress will inherit someday. It’s always on my mind, even if the commit log doesn’t show it. 💕

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Oh… and it’s true that I spend a lot less time in these forums than I used to.

That isn’t for any particular reason relating to bbPress itself.

Huge props and 👏👏👏 to the moderator team here (@robin-w, @netweb, @robkk, @casiepa, @mercime) for being immensely helpful, cleaning up spam, and being amazing.🙏

bymiki
    Participant

@bymiki

Thanks John

austex
    Participant

@austex

Thanks, appreciate the update. Will 2.6 be rolling out soon? It looks very close to completion.

armyadarkness
    Participant

@armyadarkness

My experience with BBPress is definitely that it’s over-complicated in so many areas, and then completely misses the boat on the most basic of features. Until reading this thread, I had no idea just how outdated that it was.

WordPress won’t support BBPress… But BBPress is the ONLY reason that I use WordPress. I’ve spent the last year searching for the basic requirements that I need in order to keep my current and future sites here, but I’m constantly striking out.

Thanks to the internet… You can’t even hire a pro anymore. There’re so many liars and cheats out there that it’s impossible to tell who you’re hiring.

Unfortunately, It’s now easier to just switch platforms altogether than it is to continue wasting days on end, trying to get help for antiquated platforms. I’ve lost so many of my followers and subscribers, because they just couldnt deal with the glitches.

johnkortain2
    Participant

@johnkortain2

are there any more updates coming up soon?

austex
    Participant

@austex

There are 5 tickets open, and at least one was worked on recently (within the past week or so) – https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/milestone/2.6

Hopefully they will find some time, but for now I’m running with the RC.

austex
    Participant

@austex

They are back to 7 active tickets. I’m guessing it’ll be 2020 when it’s released, but the RC seems stable.

DeepBlue
    Participant

@deepblue5

bbPress will never die. It will only get better.

Thank you, everyone, again, for being patient and for your interest in bbPress. It’s a pretty cool piece of software with some of the best contributors and forum moderators around! I’m working on bbPress everyday, sometimes in my head, and sometimes on other projects that bbPress will inherit someday. It’s always on my mind, even if the commit log doesn’t show it. 💕

Beautiful words John James

Thank you a lot for your great commitment

I love bbPress too and i think there is one lacking feature : bbpress themes, other forum softwares have themes, and i can provide one theme myself, this bbpress official forum has a theme too, that would help newcomers and those without dev skills who cant customize bbpress, as we must admit at first install the output is not great, without a huge CSS work, so as my designers have spent almost one month working on bbpress design, i would be happy to provide a theme, and im sure others would too

or maybe i missed something and there is place where people can find bbpress themes ?

Have a great day

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar