Categories
Search
Bottom

BBPress for HUGE forums? Capable?

• superaven
    Participant

@superaven

Hi,

We’re contemplating moving our website to WordPress and are looking at integrated forum options to replace an older version of vBulletin we’re running now. I know vBulletin to WordPress bridges exist, but I’m hesitant as its been a nightmare bridging it to our current CMS and hoping to also not have to maintain two separate scripts, never mind theming them both as well.

Anyhow, I was informed that BBPress shares the same database table as WordPress and that migrating a forum as large as ours would have a massively negative effect on our WordPress install and properly affect our posts pretty bad.

Our vBulletin forum has approximately 180,000 members, 100,000 threads and roughly 6.5 million comments.

Any suggestions on how we might best proceed in a forum solution should we go the WordPress route for the rest of our website? I did see Simple:Press and saw it runs off a different table… Hate to be superficial, but looking at the website, it doesn’t really inspire confidence. (no offense)

Thank you in advance for any input or insight that can help us make a decision.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• superaven
    Participant

@superaven

Forgot to mention… Our server hardware is pretty robust ands plenty capable for a stand alone forum like vBulletin or Xenforo. Since BBPress looks so streamlined and minimal, I’d have guessed its resource footprint on our servers would be significantly less than some of those other forum systems that has ever heel and whistle imaginable.

I know these discussions often turn towards solutions like throwing more system resources at a problem and you can run just about anything, but trying to get an idea of efficiency as best I can so we can make an informed decision.

superaven
    Participant

@superaven

Doh, just saw this thread despite our forum being quite a bit larger… https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbbpress-performance/

Stephen Edgar

@netweb

Hi,

The issue discussed in the thread you linked to is being updated/fixed for the next bbPress release, version 2.6, we are currently just working through some other bits as part of 2.6 before finalizing this update.

I don’t see the size of your vBulletin forum being an issue for bbPress 2.6, the ‘last active time’ is a bit of a pain for large sites though there are also a couple of workarounds already implemented in these large sites.

What version of vBulletin are you currently using?

bbPress has built in importers for vBulltin 3.x and 4.x, I also have a ‘development’ version for vBulletin 5.x that will be in a future release of bbPress.

superaven
    Participant

@superaven

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for your reply.

So to be clear, you feel that if I were to implement a work around for ‘last active time’ or wait to install BBPress version 2.6 that I can confidently run BBPress on a forum that size?

Is ‘last active time’ really the bottle neck? As I understood this issue, it had to do with BBPress sharing the DB table with the WordPress posts.

Lastly, do you have a target date for v2.6?

Thanks again,

Allen

Stephen Edgar

@netweb

So to be clear, you feel that if I were to implement a work around for ‘last active time’ or wait to install BBPress version 2.6 that I can confidently run BBPress on a forum that size?

Indeed, as you stated you need a fairly robust server though it sounds like you already have that. As bbPress 2.6 continues development I’d suggest you set yourself up a test install on your local PC and do some benchmarks and test the vBulletin importer as ~6.5 million posts will take a bit of time to import and familiarising yourself with how this works is worth knowing so you know what has to be done before you switch over your live site.

Is ‘last active time’ really the bottle neck? As I understood this issue, it had to do with bbPress sharing the DB table with the WordPress posts.

Yes, ‘last active time’ is the primary bottleneck as by default we sort topics based on the latest reply in a topic, though if a topic has no replies this is slotted in also.

The full technical details of this are here https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1925, it is not the easiest read and as there are two potential methods discussed. Primarily because of this ticket is why bbPress 2.6 is running late as there is a boat load of testing to be done to make sure we don’t break backwards compatibility.

Lastly, do you have a target date for v2.6?

3 weeks late 😉

superaven
    Participant

@superaven

Thanks again Stephan.

Not so worried about the import… I’ve sourced an outfit that specializes in complex data migrations and will probably leave it to them to develop a custom tailored solution for it.

It is great to hear the rest of it though. I’ll bring this up to everybody so we can dig a bit deeper and put BBPress back on the possible contender short list. Hopefully you guys push it out soon, but truth is we’re kinda behind schedule ourselves.

Looking forward to seeing how BBPress evolves.

Stephen Edgar

@netweb

Cool, have a look around the site here also as there a few interesting topics, like this one.

Let us know if you need anything else, will try to answer any Q’s you have.

p.s. Our vBulletin importer is pretty awesome, works well, and is included free, the downside is waiting for those MySQL queries to finish 😉

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar