Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Import parent and child relationships

• jkw217
    Participant

@jkw217

This is a common problem for ALL bbpress. Appears when importing forums, topics and replies it breaks the relationship between parent and child.

Currently I am having to resave over 1400 topics for them to show up in the forums after import.

I have over 15,000 replies that will need resaving as well until bbpress resolves the import bug.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• jkw217
    Participant

@jkw217

@netweb do you have a solution for this problem?

@jwk, I’ve moved this to its own topic as this does NOT affect all of bbPress.

This will be specific to whatever import process of importer you are using.

What are you importing and where from @jkw217? phpBB? a raw database?

jkw217
    Participant

@jkw217

Using default wordpress exporter/importer. Moving forums, topics and replies from one database to the other. BBPRESS to BBPRESS.

Also found that I have to resign users to their topics and replies on the import, which is very time consuming. If I just click import, the topics and replies get assigned to my account, when the other users account do exist.

I finally found out that if I just do a raw mysql dump I can import all the data with 0 loss and they get tied to the correct account but the problem with that lies in the ID – I get duplicates because of the data that is already existing from pages and blog posts. Do you have a script that I can run to easily changes ID’s across 2 tables “posts” and “postmeta”? I think that would be the best way of handling a migration.

Robin W

@robin-w

@netweb

Did you do a bbpress to bbpress importer? I know it was mentioned some time ago.

jkw217
    Participant

@jkw217

Using the default wordpress export/import tool:

The problem started when importing the topics, they would import fine but would not display or show up in the parent forums. This was easily fixed if I resaved them. But this is an issue due to having over 2,400 topics and 15,000 replies.

I ran into another problem, because we have imported the user and usermeta table first, when importing topics and replies it asked to assign them to the user account. I manually have to select the user to assign them to, if I do not it would assign them all to my admin account. So I tried that with the topics and assigned them all to user account. However this did not assign all topics to the user account, some (about 150) topics were still assigned to me.

So what I tried was doing a raw forums, topics and replies data dump of the posts and postmeta and importing to the existing NEW tables. This was almost flawless with 0 data loss except for the fact that there are duplicate ID’s, about 1400 in the posts table and thousands more in the postmeta table.

Do you know of a way that we can run a script on the 2 tables and give all unique ID’s starting at a specific number that would match both the id on posts and post_id on postmeta table. I have extracted the forums, topic and reply data and imported them to their own table. If I gave new id’s I could easily import them without duplicate errors. What do you think of this? This is the way we really prefer to do it for 0 data loss. Keeping the forums, topics and replies exactly as they are now.

version bbPress 2.5.14

We’re going BBPRESS TO BBPRESS both same version.

jkw217
    Participant

@jkw217

@netweb – was told to post here.

You can use the standard WordPress import and export tool, no need for a bbPress to bbPress importer

Robin W

@robin-w

thanks

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar