Categories
Search
Bottom

Import from vBulletin

• Chad
    Participant

@chadi

Hi folks. Saw this page, https://codex.bbpress.org/import-forums/vbulletin/

It hasn’t been updated in 2 years. Just wondering if there are any improvements made to this tool?

Some of my concerns are these listed:

1. Custom vBulletin BBCodes are not supported eg. [youtube] – You will have to manually change these yourself either before importing in vBulletin or after importing into bbPress using phpMyAdmin.

2. All ‘Ordered Lists’

will be displayed as numerical lists.

3. You may find extra page breaks <br> and paragraph <p> elements in topics and replies and is less than ideal and is from the way the BBCodes are converted during the forum import conversion. You will find these primarily around ‘blockquotes’ and ‘lists’

In regards to

#1 If I create the exact bbocodes in BBPress prior to the import, I assume this would rectify this area correct?

#2 This is definitely not good. I’m hoping someone knows a trick around this.
      #3 Same as above.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Chad
    Participant

@chadi

Anyone?

treb0r23
    Participant

@treb0r23

Dude.

After multiple issues and days of stress, I came to the conclusion that BBPress is not worth the hassle.

I moved to using Discourse and boy am I glad I did.

It seems to me that BBPress is dead in the water.

Take heed and check out Discourse!

Chad
    Participant

@chadi

Thanks. I’ve checked out Discourse, but I was hoping to stick with WordPress.

Anyone else know about this?

Robkk

@robkk

hopefully @netweb checks this out

1. Custom vBulletin BBCodes are not supported eg. [youtube] – You will have to manually change these yourself either before importing in vBulletin or after importing into bbPress using phpMyAdmin.

Indeed this is now fixed to work with vBulletin’s default YouTube BBCodes:
    Specifically the two following BBCodes are the only ones supported (many vB forums used to use custom BBCodes and this was primarily the main issue here)

// Replace '[video=youtube;$1]$2[/video]' with '$2"
    // Replace '[video=youtube_share;$1]$2[/video]' with '$2"

For example [video=youtube;eOUq4Z6R7xI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfW2UJMIQvQ[/video] will be replaced with just the YouTube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfW2UJMIQvQ, bbPress (and WordPress) will automatically embed the video using the direct URL.

2. All ‘Ordered Lists’ will be displayed as numerical lists.

This is also fixed

3. You may find extra page breaks <br> and paragraph <p> elements in topics and replies and is less than ideal and is from the way the BBCodes are converted during the forum import conversion. You will find these primarily around ‘blockquotes’ and ‘lists’

This is fixed also 🙂

#1 If I create the exact bbcodes in BBPress prior to the import, I assume this would rectify this area correct?

Yes, modify your custom BBCodes to either a) Match the supported vBulletin BBCode above or b) completely strip the vBulletin BBCode so just the YouTube link remains 🙂

I have updated the codex article and removed quite a few things that were listed there that are now fixed including full support to convert user passwords and the items in red in this image are fixed and/or supported 🙂

With that said “some” of these features are not in the currently shipped bbPress 2.5.4 such as Forum and Topic subscriptions and guest/anonymous topic and reply support, I’m going to post an announcement here on the site in the coming day or two on the improvements and where and how to get this test release.

Chad
    Participant

@chadi

Thanks for your reply @netweb

So password conversion works in the import, but the codex doc still says otherwise?

Side note while testing, I noticed forum links like this

Permalink: http://www.mydomain.com/blog/forums/forum/buzz/press-stand/

I don’t understand why there’s /forums/forum/buzz.. ?

“Buzz” is set as category, press-stand as forum. Buzz has no parent but is a parent to press stand.

Indeed passwords are 100% converted and working now, I also removed that from the codex article 🙂

With the updated importer “Buzz” will be set as a “category”, with bbPress 2.5.4 “Buzz” would have been imported as a “forum”.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar