Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to show recent topics in forum homepage?

• Ravi
    Participant

@ravidreams

Hi,

The forum homepage now shows only list of forums.

How to show list of latest topics above this forums index? (like it is done in the bbPress forums page)

I am using bbPress 2.0 plugin.

Which file should I edit and what should I add?

http://ravidreams.in/offgrid/forums/ is the site I am working on.

Thanks,

Ravi

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • When in your Admin, create a new page and call it ‘Latest Topics’ or whatever title you like.

And select from the right-side sidebar where is says: template the New Topics template.

Save it.

Still in the Admin-/Dashboard – Go to your WP Settings (bottom left) -> Reading.

And select the New Topics template as a static page on the homepage.

Save it and your done.

Ravi
    Participant

@ravidreams

BJ, Thanks for the help.

I do not want to create a new WP page.

Instead, I want to change the default forums Index that comes at the page /forums like http://ravidreams.in/offgrid/forums/ . This page is also linked in the breadcrumbs through out the forums.

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

I put the recent topics below my forum lists by modifying the archive-forum.php template file as follows:

<div class="entry-content">

<?php bbp_get_template_part( 'bbpress/content', 'archive-forum' ); ?>
    <br><br>
    <h3>Recent Topics:</h3>
    <?php bbp_get_template_part( 'bbpress/content', 'archive-topic' ); ?>

</div>

Notice the second function which grabs the topics. Flip the functions around and you’ll get what you are after.

*I am assuming you added all the bbpress template files to your own theme so that you have full control over editing everything. If not, you will end up loosing your changes every time you update.

Ravi
    Participant

@ravidreams

Thanks, Anointed.

That solved our issue.

David

@tryingtoregister

That helps me too @anointed. Thanks.

To take that further, is it possible to organize the topics by forum? For instance, in a sports forum could I pull all topics from the NBA forum and then the NFL, NHL, and so on? It would obviously be great to be able to do that in one call but I’d be willing to manually call them in order at this point as well.

David

@tryingtoregister

I’d rather do it with a template tag but I did realize that I can use the shortcode and do_shortcode to pull topics by forum on the forums index:

<?php echo do_shortcode('[bbp-single-forum id=$forum_id]') ?>

For those who are interested but not completely clear, a forum’s id can be found easily by viewing the source code in your browser and looking for the id or class of a forum listing’s containing element (for example: id=”bbp-forum-2536″ or class=”post-2536″).

Ronileco
    Participant

@ronileco

Thank you again Annointed.

I solved this issue by placing your code in: loop-forums.php, maybe this has changed in recent releases.

ryan_m27
    Participant

@ryan_m27

Hi All,

The strategy that’s outlined here seems at odds with the method of integrating bbP into an existing WP theme described here: https://codex.bbpress.org/theme-compatibility/. In that recent post, it describes how I’m to copy files from the bbp-theme-compat folder into a subdirectory in my theme. That includes content-archive-forum.php but not archive-forum.php. I can also achieve customization by, as mentioned above, copying archive-forum.php directly into my theme.

Which is better and why?

Also, I’d like to add a list of the ten most viewed topics above the forum list on the main forums page. I can’t figure out how to limit the output of the topics list or sort by most views (don’t even know if that information is stored). Any help there would be appreciated.

Thanks!

chibichiii
    Participant

@chibichiii

Thnx this solved my can’t call upon latest topics issues. Is there a way to change it to unread topics?

Update: Okay too bad didn’t exactly solve the problem because as soon as you try to navigate the pages from the shown topics. Than you get a 404 error.

• This reply was modified 11 years, 4 months ago by chibichiii.
    • This reply was modified 11 years, 4 months ago by chibichiii.

choibc
    Participant

@choibc

Hi, I have homepage with recent posts of bbpress.
    But the page navigation is not working properly.
    Page navigation is working fine within each forum.

Any idea?

FlipFlop
    Participant

@flipflop

Is there any recent solution to this guys as recent changes seem to have made this solution ineffective.

Appears to cause an infinite loop of the forum homepage now.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar