Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Hostgator timing out when I try to delete forum with 82,258 posts

• reminisce32
    Participant

@reminisce32

I am trying to delete everything from an import I didn’t like but hostgator is timing out when I try to delete forum with 82,258 posts. Even if I delete plugin and all files, reinstall, it brings back everything. Hostgator support doesn’t know how to help me with this. Any methods I can try to clear out my bbpress and start new so I can try the import again?

WordPress version 4.3.1
    bbPress version 2.5.8
    link to site http://www.maddengurus.com/forum/

Error below:

ERROR 504 – GATEWAY TIMEOUT

The server that your request has reached is acting as a gateway or proxy to fulfil the request made by your client.

Web Browser => Web Front-End => Web Back-End

This server (Web Front-End) received an invalid response from an upstream (Web Back-End) server it accessed to fulfil the request.

In most cases this will not mean that the upstream server is down, but rather that the upstream server and the gateway/proxy do not agree on the protocol for exchanging data.

This problem is most commonly caused when there is a problem with IP communications between the Web Front and Back-Ends. Before you attempt to resolve this problem you should clear your browser cache completely.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• reminisce32
    Participant

@reminisce32

Just saw the reset forums setting, although one of the tasks called something to do with conversion tables failed, but it appears to have cleared out the forums. Trying the re-import now.

reminisce32
    Participant

@reminisce32

It seems to have gotten stuck spinning at this point: http://oi61.tinypic.com/wuezgk.jpg

Should I have even checked the Purge Previous Import or Start Over check boxes if I ran the Forum Reset tool?

Not sure what to try next.

Hi reminisce32,
    Try to tick both and run the reset.
    If you continue to get issues, you could clean the database by running specific commands if you have access to it.
    Pascal.

reminisce32
    Participant

@reminisce32

Which commands can I run? I’ve had this running for almost a half a day now and it keeps getting stuck http://oi58.tinypic.com/106f3bb.jpg. If I hit stop and start again it seems to re-start again where it left off but my browser is started to get very slow and sticky from so many lines of text on the page.

Robkk

@robkk

Probably the SQL query code he posted a week ago.

Reset forum don’t work, how to clean up the db with phpmyadmin?

@robkk,
    Yes, that was what I wanted to give πŸ™‚
    Pascal.

reminisce32
    Participant

@reminisce32

Do any of you recommend I just try the query or keep trying to use the purge feature? I’ve had it running for almost 24 hours now on my second try and its currently here http://oi62.tinypic.com/2pq5h4y.jpg and it’s starting to get really sluggish again. If I stop it now and re-start it, will it start deleting at the beginning all over again and reinstate what it deleted or will it start deleting where it left off?

hayleyadanner
    Participant

@hayleyadanner

How do i start a new topic? I am literally crying over here as I’ve been struggling for hours and now I cant even create a new topic? really?

Robkk

@robkk

@reminisce32

Stick with purging the installation there, but it has worked for a user by just using sql code.

@hayleyadanner

Go into a single forum by selecting a forum in the forum list in the left sidebar or go to this url and create a topic.

Create New Topic

@reminisce32
    I fully agree with Robkk. The query should only be used as very last resort. The purge/repair is really doing all the steps one after the other. The query might leave some small traces in your database.

@hayleyadanner

Under the green top bar on this page, you will find a grey bar with your login details to the right. On the left of the grey bar you should see ‘bbPress.org’. Hover over it and you should see ‘New topic’.

Pascal.

reminisce32
    Participant

@reminisce32

This is my third time trying the purging process, because it always ends up freezing up and not re-starting even though I’ll hit stop and then start again unless I refresh the page and fill out the import form again. I changed the Rows Limit to 100000 this time, and after a few hours now is at:

Deleting previously converted data (216,600,000 – 216,699,999)

It seems that if the purging fails, nothing stays deleted when I try again, unless there is so much data I can’t tell. If this doesn’t work then I plan on changing the rows limit to something like 200,000,000 unless any of you have better suggestions.

reminisce32
    Participant

@reminisce32

Ok this seems like a losing game because I put Rows Limit to 61962800000000000000000000000000000 and it still just goes on deleting forever:

Deleting previously converted data (6 – 6.19628E+34)

216000000 ? How many replies you had ???

It seems that SQL will be your only option them. After running the SQL, repair/reset the forums to be sure.

USE WITH CAUTION, MAKE SURE TO HAVE A BACKUP OF THE DB.

DELETE a,b,c FROM wp_posts a
    LEFT JOIN wp_term_relationships b ON (a.ID=b.object_id)
    LEFT JOIN wp_postmeta c ON (a.ID=c.post_id)
    WHERE a.post_type IN ('forum', 'topic', 'reply')

reminisce32
    Participant

@reminisce32

No where near that many replies. Here is forum I’m trying to import: http://www.maddengurus.com/forums/forum.php

So last night I remembered I made a backup in Updraftplus plugin before I tried ever imported anything into bbpress, and so I restored it, ran the import as a fresh import, and it seemed like it all worked and then ran into the problem I posted about here: https://bbpress.org/?post_type=topic&p=168081/

So I restored the wordpress database again, and this time decided to check off the purging option just to be safe, and it’s back to doing trying to delete stuff into the millions, ie: Deleting previously converted data (1342100 – 1342199), etc.

So apparently even restoring to a backup before all this happened wasn’t enough to get a fresh start.

Just saw the reset forums setting, although one of the tasks called something to do with conversion tables failed, but it appears to have cleared out the forums.

This, this should work perfectly each each time, it essentially runs the same query as mentioned immediately above here.

and this time decided to check off the purging option just to be safe, and it’s back to doing trying to delete stuff into the millions, ie: Deleting previously converted data (1342100 – 1342199), etc.

Don’t check this option, it’s a known bug that I think I’ve fixed for the next release, the first option above should get you what you need, but remember it deletes everything related to bbPress including data and any options settings you have made.

reminisce32
    Participant

@reminisce32

@netweb thank you, I was starting to think that was the case. I re-imported again and didn’t have this particular issue. The only issue I am having now is my topics don’t show up, as you can see here: http://www.maddengurus.com/forum/new-member-introductions/

Can anyone help with this as to why they are not showing up? I did all the forum repairs it let me know besides the Recalculate the position of each reply and Remap existing users to default forum roles because they give me errors when I try to run them.

reminisce32
    Participant

@reminisce32

Figured out what was the problem. It imported the forums in as categories, so I changed them to forums and they show now. Thanks for help, all.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar