Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Help Css & Layout

• mnhfile
    Participant

@mnhfile

1.I want to alter the colors of headings borders and most important background

2.further i want to to display forums in different tabs/headings in the same page

1.My Proceedings
    I past this into my child css and also experiment with bbpress.css
    but the result is that my whole forum page turns into bluish color when pasting into child css and nothing happens while pasting in bbpress or changing values in bbpress

2.Proceedings

Try to categorize forums but these are under the same heading

Examples

I want to convert my site forums like this one http://forums.2k.com/forumdisplay.php?114-Irrational-Discussion-and-Official-Announcements

it’s my pleasure if you help me because this is my first post to any forum.

If you require any pictures then I can provide you.THANKS

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

mnhfile
    Participant

@mnhfile

https://codex.bbpress.org/bbpress-styling-crib/ I past the codes to bbpress.css and child theme css … nothing happens … I alter the codes and add another one with !important tag but all in vain…

One more question bbshowcase.org/forums/view/available-themes how to install these themes only in bbpress forums. please give me some illustration ..
    I try a lot of methods like
    -copy bb theme files to child main theme directory
    -rename bb theme style.css to bbpress.css and paste to child theme directory ..I past in main folder as well as in css folder of child theme..

I shall be thankful to you if you help me in installing premade custom layouts of bbpress theme

Robin W

@robin-w

bbshowcase.org/forums/view/available-themes

this was for version 1 of bbpress, and is no longer relevant.

mnhfile
    Participant

@mnhfile

So is there any way that I apply whole pre-made css file to bbpress forum other than individually setting css values ??

mnhfile
    Participant

@mnhfile

Can you tell me how to utilize loop.forum.php put forums under different tabs ?????

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

create a custom menu and put individual links to forums

mnhfile
    Participant

@mnhfile

when i used [bbp-forum-index] this will put all forums in one place … my question is how to distribute and place under different headings..

How to put individual links to forums?????

mnhfile
    Participant

@mnhfile

I got your point of putting individual links..

Thank You peter…

Robkk

@robkk

@mnhfile

when you say “tabs” do you mean for example in the forums.2k.com website where it says “whats new” and “forum”, or when it says “subforums” and “irrational legacy games”.

if its the “whats new” and “forum” then you would have to follow Peters suggestion.

if its the other one, you would have to follow my suggestion and use Robins file off his website.

mnhfile
    Participant

@mnhfile

Sorry for making three topics on same issue because I understand it differently.
    I have latest wordpress version 4 and I am using divi theme with drag and drop page builder.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

When I say tabs it means “subforums” and “irrational legacy games”.

Are you talking about robin’s forum-loop.php file if then I don’t know how to use it…

Can you tell me how to make headings/tabs like “subforums” and “irrational legacy games”

Robkk

@robkk

okay first try adding !important at the end of some css to make the css work if your still having issues with that.

alright so there is more info that i posted about setting up forums and having that categorized layout if you havent read the last post aimed at you , you should read it.

Help Css & Layout

ok what you are going to do , is create a category and a forum with the category as the parent.

you do this all in the forums section in bbpress

reply back when you do that.

i want to see it at http://studylocus.com/forums/

then we will go from there.

mnhfile
    Participant

@mnhfile

Thank you @Robbk for guiding me. Now I’m able to do changes in css.. after adding !important and doing changes in one place.

What to do Next to make tabs
    I upload loop-forums.php to my child theme in bbpress folder. I don’t see any tabs appearing on my site studylocus.com/forums

mnhfile
    Participant

@mnhfile

How to make tabs? I make categories and place different forums in each category. After I upload loop-forums.php to child theme folder and placed in bbpress folder…

Robkk

@robkk

@mnhfile that loop-forums.php file should work …

i just tried it and it worked fine.

see if you can find a resolution to the problem

maybe its a plugin issue , so deactivate some plugins one at a time and see if it could be causing an issue.

other than that i dont know what could be the problem

Robkk

@robkk

@mnhfile

also try to test out on a local development area like WAMP or MAMP

install divi , bbpress, and then add the file to your bbpress folder in your divi child theme.

MAC

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-install-wordpress-locally-on-mac-using-mamp/

PC

http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-install-wordpress-on-your-windows-computer-using-wamp/

if you cant even get it on localhost , contact elegant themes support they also run bbpress on there support forums maybe they can help too.

mnhfile
    Participant

@mnhfile

Thank you Robkk I’ll try this

mnhfile
    Participant

@mnhfile

loop-forum.php not working with child theme and also sometimes stuck while updating changes in css.

Then I activate parent theme . Now my forums look like this

I don’t want sub category of each category and i didn’t create sub categories of categories. I simple create three categories -no category has its parent and place forums in each category.

But my forums seems different than what i do . I want separate Tabs not sub tabs.

mnhfile
    Participant

@mnhfile

And can I do some modification in each tab like hiding or disclosing tab contents(forums)

Robkk

@robkk

@mnhfile well i dont know why you have it only showing when the parent theme is activated , its suppose to work too when you just put the file in a bbpress folder in your child theme.

maybe you put the file in your parent theme too, or edited the bbpress templates in the plugin folder which you should not do , since when either of these things update , you will lose all your modifications.

i did look at your website , it is coming together kind of nicely

the weird layout that makes it look like any additional categories below the first category look like subcategories with the space to the left and everything, this might be a little design issue, it kind of did this when i was testing the file earlier.

if you want switch out robins file with this one, just copy and paste right over it using a text-editor like notepad++ test it out and see how it does on your site.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/robkk/better-bbpress-responsive-theme/master/bbpress/loop-forums.php

And can I do some modification in each tab like hiding or disclosing tab contents(forums)

please explain a little bit more on what you are talking about, i have an idea and assume it might be some custom development work , but explain a little bit more just to make sure.

mnhfile
    Participant

@mnhfile

Css or php changes by sftp not updated to my wordpress site. I figured out this is not parent/ child theme problem .. I am using godaddy wordpress managed hosting and this issue occurs because of their cache layer and i don’t know how to clear it. I try to contact them but unable to reach them beacuase of voice issue in international call.

Anyhow my tab/heading problem is solved because of loop code in this link https://raw.githubusercontent.com/robkk/better-bbpress-responsive-theme/master/bbpress/loop-forums.php

i want some modification in tabs/heading — like in the picture arrow appears which show or hide forums../// or modification like tabs act like toggles (function).

Robkk

@robkk

@mnhfile

I am using godaddy wordpress managed hosting and this issue occurs because of their cache layer

great that you found the issue with the cache layer from godaddy

Anyhow my tab/heading problem is solved because of loop code in this link

well its there for sure , but i forgot i edited the file,

i will link you to the unedited file i based the one i edited off of in a minute.

The new file should show freshness, voices, topics, and all the missing labels.

i want some modification in tabs/heading — which show or hide forums../// or modification like tabs act like toggles

This is some custom development , i dont know how to hook this up yet , but i know its made up of some jQuery

heres an example in this link

http://www.w3schools.com/jquery/tryit.asp?filename=tryjquery_toggle

you can create a new topic for this and see if anyone else can help , right now i dont know how to do it.

mnhfile
    Participant

@mnhfile

thank you robbk for your support. and recently i reached godaddy they said you should use cpanel hosting for this kind of changes as this is for advance users.

Robkk

@robkk

@mnhfile

your welcome 🙂

and well editing .php files and using FTP is kind of advanced if you dont know what you are doing and are messing with the wrong directories or templates.

but as long as you know what you are doing and just copying a template over to your child theme in a bbpress folder it is really easy.

you can copy all of this and overwrite it with an editor like notepad++

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/robkk/bbPress-Hierarchical-Forum-and-Category-Layout/master/loop-forums.php

or you can just go here download the .zip , unzip and get the .php file and just plop that in and overwrite the other one i gave you before.

https://github.com/robkk/bbPress-Hierarchical-Forum-and-Category-Layout

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar