Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Goal tracking in Google Analytics

• mithrandir321

@mithrandir321

Hello, is it possible to set up and track new registers and new topics as goals in Google Analytics? The problem to me is there are no unique thank you pages to be tracked… For example the register.php handles both the form and thank you page.

Any idea?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• usr79223992
    Participant

@usr79223992

Hi,
    I’d like to pick up this topic. I would also find it interesting to track topic + reply creations via Google Analtics goal tracking.
    My Google research was unsuccessful and I’m not a developer. Does anyone maybe already have a solution or can point me in the right direction?
    Thanks in advance!

usr79223992
    Participant

@usr79223992

I went through the documentation of adding actions (https://codex.bbpress.org/step-by-step-guide-to-setting-up-a-bbpress-forum-part-4/) and then I looked up the places within the code for the following 3 events:
    – user registration
    – topic creation
    – reply creation
    I see, that I could add code before and after the “submit” button, but that’s not exactly what I need.
    I need to add an function call for ga.js directly to the button.

Example (this is the code line for the “submit new topic” button):
    <button type=”submit” tabindex=”<?php bbp_tab_index(); ?>” id=”bbp_topic_submit” name=”bbp_topic_submit” class=”button submit”><?php _e( ‘Submit’, ‘bbpress’ ); ?></button>
    this must become:
    <button type=”submit” tabindex=”<?php bbp_tab_index(); ?>” id=”bbp_topic_submit” name=”bbp_topic_submit” class=”button submit” onClick=”_gaq.push([‘_trackEvent’, ‘Forum’, ‘New Topic’]);”><?php _e( ‘Submit’, ‘bbpress’ ); ?></button>

How can I achieve this?

usr79223992
    Participant

@usr79223992

Nice! I think I found a solution. This page describes how to add an event listener to a button:
    https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events
    I’ll try this out later and then I’ll let you, the world, know how to solve it 🙂

usr79223992
    Participant

@usr79223992

I figured it out.
    1st way: count clicks of “submit” button:

//custom function
     function custom_trackEvent_newTopic ()
      {
    	echo '
    	<script>
    	  addListener(document.getElementById(\'bbp_topic_submit\'), \'click\', function() {
    		ga(\'send\', \'event\', \'forum\', \'btn_click_new topic\');
    	  });
    	  function addListener(element, type, callback) {
    		if (element.addEventListener) element.addEventListener(type, callback);
    		else if (element.attachEvent) element.attachEvent(\'on\' + type, callback);
    	  }
    	</script>
    	';
      }
    add_action ('bbp_theme_after_topic_form_submit_button', 'custom_trackEvent_newTopic') ;

2nd way: count actual topic creation
    This would be more precise, but I didn’t figure it out yet. Actually this should work:

function custom_trackEvent_newTopic ()
      {	
    	window.ga('send', 'event', 'forum', 'new topic');	  
      }
    add_action ('bbp_new_topic', 'custom_trackEvent_newTopic') ;

…but it doesn’t.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function ga() in /…/themes/…/functions.php on line 1594

Somehow the function can’t be referenced that way. 🙁

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar