Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Freshness doesn’t seem to update as quickly any more?

• Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

If I add replies they used to update freshness quite quickly but now I am not seeing this.

This is with 2.6.0

Andy

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 143 total)

• Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

I should clarify, this is the main forums list page that shows the categories and list of forums. It is that freshness that is not up to date.

If I click on the forum in question and shows it’s topics, then they show the right freshness.

For example:

Home Forum List
    Category A
    Forum A Freshness 19 hours ago

Click Forum A
    Topic 1 1 week ago
    Topic 2 16 minutes ago

So in the primary list it should say 16 minutes and not 19 hours.

If I use your tool to rebuild the freshness then it gets all in sinc. But it used to be fine with the last version.

I don’t have sub forums. Just a list of categories which each has a list of forums.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Thanks for reporting this here. I’ll look into it.

This probably will not be fixed in bbPress 2.6.1, but will be a priority afterwards.

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

I came to report the exact same thing.

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

Thanks for looking into it John!

Andrew

hardel
    Participant

@hardel

I think I’m having a similar issue. I have widgets for latest posts and replies. They are displaying in the sidebar as +5 hours old, but when you click the topic, it shows the correct time…

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Sounds like a few different issues. We should work to resolve them together here.

Do all of you use Category type Forums, where the Category cannot have topics of its own?

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

Not sure what you mean. I have:

Category
    Forum
    Forum
    Forum

Category
    Forum
    Forum

Etc.

I have no sub categories.

Andrew

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

I don’t use categories: I have only have Forums and Topics.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

In your category and forum tree, which areas is freshness not updated correctly? Can you repeat the problem 100% of the time? If so, what are the steps to replicate? (For example, that problem isn’t happening here on bbPress.org, so we need to figure out why not.)

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

Here is what I get, and it is always the case:
    Index
    Forum

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

I put my answer with images and the whole response is now missing. I assume it has gone to a moderation queue and not notified me on screen?

Forums

The above is wrong. I have now run the freshness tool and it has fixed it. But it keeps happening.

My forums are here.

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

As previously mentioned. At root level all freshness are wrong when topics are created and replies made:

Category 1
       Forum
       Forum
       Forum

Category 2
       Forum
       Forum
       Forum

Category 3
       Forum
       Forum
       Forum

Similarly, if I drill down a level:

Category 3
       Forum
       Forum
       Forum

This is still wrong. Freshness not showing the most recemt topic / reply info right. Unless I run the tool to rebuild freshness.

If I drill down a level:

Forum
       Topic
       Topic
       Topic

This always showed it correctly with the most recent freshness for the topic / reply in each forum.

I don’t think I can provide more info.

Andrew

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

By the way, your forum shows differently. At all times it is showing a list of actual topics and not a list of forums inside a category and pulling out the most recent topic info per forum. So your context is different. Please go to my forum and create an account and a test message and / or a reply in one of the forums and you will see.

Andrew

tapforms
    Participant

@tapforms

I have the exact same issue with bbEdit 2.6.1. My forums show stale dates and activity user. If you click on a forum, you get the fresh data.

https://www.tapforms.com/forums/

I have to keep going into the forum tools and running the update last activity function.

ced83
    Participant

@ced83

I think I’m having the same issue too. (Last Post with wrong date/hour)

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

I just found something out here ….

If I add a topic to a “public” forum then the freshness is fed back up the chain correctly.

If I add a topic to a “private” forum then the freshness is not fed back up the chain correctly.

Most of my forums are private.

Andrew

tapforms
    Participant

@tapforms

I’ve only got one private forum and the other 3 are public. It happens with all of them.

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

Hi @johnjamesjacoby

Do you think the feedback provided might be able to assist us in isolating the issue in 2.6.x?

Andrew

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

I don’t want to jump the gun but I deactivated the “Performance Cache” plugin and installed and activated the “WP Super Cache” plugin and it seems that my freshness is working properly now. I will keep an eye on it.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, thanks for letting us know

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Caching plugins misbehaving could definitely contribute to problems in a lot of areas.

Private and Hidden forums also do work a little bit strangely, especially without BuddyPress Groups on top of them to manage them a bit better, and especially when you have a mix of public and private within the same branch of a forum tree.

Imagine, if you will:

Public 1
    |--Private 1
    |--|--Public 2
    |--Public 3

Now, I login and create a Topic in the Private 1 forum.

How should that bubble up to the parent Public 1 category?

Then someone creates a topic in the Public 2 forum. How can a public forum even exist under a private forum?

bbPress won’t prevent you from doing these things, but it won’t really work very well when you do.

I think, to work best, we could never cache these values ever, because they’d always be based on what the currently logged in user can see, instead of being attached to the forums or the categories like they always have been.

But for now, for performance reasons, these Freshness values are working as intended, even though they aren’t a real great experience for Private and Hidden Forums underneath other Public ones.

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

I understand. Fortunately for me my public forum is in the first category. All others are private so I am not affected my your scenario. Phew!

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

I can confirm that for me it is a cache plugin issue. With WP Super Cache if I delete the cache and regen my forum home page all the freshness is correct. No need to run any tools to get it right.

But as mentioned before, I did not use to have this problem. It seems that the home forum page is not being signaled to refresh the cache. Don’t really know how it works. I have raised the issue with WP Super Cache too.

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

I don’t use WP Super Cache or Performance Cache and I still have issues. So it has to do with something else.

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

Possibly. Just giving my finding. Can you be sure that your domain provide is not doing server caching without you even knowing? Don’t know if that is possible.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar