Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Fix for PHPBB3 to BBPress conversion script

• pixelnated
    Participant

@pixelnated

Since I was helping a friend convert a phpbb2 board to phpbb3 I thought I’d take the time to also import the forums into bbpress (my preference).
    I initially tried the import but could not get it to work and after looking on the forums saw that I was not alone.
    To get the import to work I had to remap some fields in the phpbb conversion script and comment out some obsolete ones (took about 30 minutes.

If anyone needs to get your PHPBB3 users and forums converted in BBPress you can replace the phpBB.php file in wp-content\plugins\bbpress\includes\admin\converters to match the following updated code: https://gist.github.com/pixelnated/a7a9c41154cf64696ddd1c2e4f4327ed

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • @pixelnated, if you use the version here it includes a bunch of other enhancements πŸ™‚
    β€’ https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/src/includes/admin/converters/phpBB.php

pixelnated
    Participant

@pixelnated

Thanks @netweb! I should have known that bridge had already been crossed πŸ™‚

pixelnated
    Participant

@pixelnated

In an unrelated item – whenever I post on these forums in FireFox my posts seem to vanish as soon as I hit submit (although the forum post time seems to have updated) & the formatting tools can’t be seen.

Writing this from chrome….

pixelnated
    Participant

@pixelnated

No dice with bbPress 2.6-beta-2 either πŸ™
    No biggie – I’ll just rollback and get it done. I like where it is heading with all the additional info though

WordPress database error: [Unknown column ‘users.id’ in ‘field list’]
    SELECT convert(users.id USING “utf8mb4”) AS id,convert(users.password USING “utf8mb4”) AS password,convert(users.salt USING “utf8mb4”) AS salt,convert(users.username USING “utf8mb4”) AS username,convert(users.email USING “utf8mb4”) AS email,convert(users.www USING “utf8mb4”) AS www,convert(users.r_time USING “utf8mb4”) AS r_time,convert(users.aim USING “utf8mb4”) AS aim,convert(users.yim USING “utf8mb4”) AS yim,convert(users.icq USING “utf8mb4”) AS icq,convert(users.msn USING “utf8mb4”) AS msn,convert(users.gmail USING “utf8mb4”) AS gmail,convert(users.sig USING “utf8mb4”) AS sig,convert(users.location USING “utf8mb4”) AS location,convert(users.users_text USING “utf8mb4”) AS users_text FROM phpbb3_users AS users LIMIT 0, 250

No users to convert

No data to clean

Starting Conversion

pixelnated
    Participant

@pixelnated

This one seemed to work for me – added some of the additional profile meta info hooks that were in the trunc version and added/edited them in here – https://gist.github.com/pixelnated/5c27a64c450578440554ba902560178f

50k users and the full forums imported without issue πŸ™‚
    Thanks!

jimblais
    Participant

@jimblais

I replaced the phpBB converter code as above and when I run it, it finds nothing. It runs through but does not create forums nor topics, etc. Please advise.

jimblais
    Participant

@jimblais

Update: this latest posts’ scripts seems to be working

lantaarntje
    Participant

@lantaarntje

This fix indeed has the intention to convert my phpbb3.2 forum to bbpress 2.6 beta 2 πŸ˜‰ The conversion is still running so i don’t know for sure πŸ˜› #goodjob

jh20001
    Participant

@jh20001

Woot. This worked for me, however it didn’t properly import the forums/topics. They would list the count but would display as no topics under each. I then used this to get the users over and then paused it, switched over to the normal importer from RC6 for the rest, but it still listed them all as Anonymous (although brought in all of the forums, subforums and topics).

Before and after, the RC6 importer gets stuck at step 8 with a looping “Converting anonymous topic authors (500 through 500 of 500)” every 2 seconds for what seems to be indefinitely. Forums are such a pain in the arse. πŸ™‚

spaceman_qc
    Participant

@spaceman_qc

I have the same problem here. First few user have been converted then it keeps looping without doing anything. Please help.

jh20001
    Participant

@jh20001

I finally gave up and spent the ungodly amount of hours repairing and bringing the phpbb board back to life and went with that. This was a nice hope for a good change though as WordPress is so much easier to work with stability wise.

spaceman_qc
    Participant

@spaceman_qc

Well I guess I’ll have to dig into both database and do it myself πŸ™

wurkagency
    Participant

@wurkagency

Hi All,

Had the same issue as described above. The default phpbb.php import script didn’t convert anonymous users of topics and replies and the Pixenated script looped infinately with the conversion of users.

I’ve fixed the script and uploaded to PasteBin. Feel free to share widely.
    https://pastebin.com/FpWsxsUG

How To:
    1) Upgrade phpBB to v.3.2.5
    2) Install BBpress 2.6 RC7
    3) Upload to /wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/admin/converters/phpbb.php

Remember that real men don’t do backups. They cry a lot. πŸ™‚

lantaarntje
    Participant

@lantaarntje

HI

I tried de fixed script but i still have a loop:

16.Converting anonymous reply authors (100 through 100 of 100)100%

It remains for hours! – Any advice?

artichoku
    Participant

@artichoku

hey there. So I’ve been trying to get the import to work for a few weeks and have zero luck whatsoever. I’ve tried the updated script found here:

Hi All,

Had the same issue as described above. The default phpbb.php import script didn’t convert anonymous users of topics and replies and the Pixenated script looped infinately with the conversion of users.

I’ve fixed the script and uploaded to PasteBin. Feel free to share widely.
    https://pastebin.com/FpWsxsUG

How To:
    1) Upgrade phpBB to v.3.2.5
    2) Install BBpress 2.6 RC7
    3) Upload to /wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/admin/converters/phpbb.php

Remember that real men don’t do backups. They cry a lot. πŸ™‚

but it has not aleviated the import problem. I no longer see errors, but it just sits at “Starting conversion”. Not sure what my next step is…

artichoku
    Participant

@artichoku

if it helps, this is the error i get when using the phpbb converter that comes with the installation of bbPress 2.5.14…

WordPress database error: [Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes]
    CREATE TABLE wp_bbp_converter_translator ( meta_id mediumint(8) unsigned not null auto_increment, value_type varchar(25) null, value_id bigint(20) unsigned not null default '0', meta_key varchar(255) null, meta_value varchar(255) null, PRIMARY KEY (meta_id), KEY value_id (value_id), KEY meta_join 

maximemue
    Participant

@maximemue

Hi all,

still having trouble to migrate from phpBB 3.2 to latest WP and bbpress. After having added some lines in the phpBB database and changed everything to UTF8 it runs smoothly, converts all 1700 users, converts the forums converts the topics (22,000) and then starts with all replies (200,000). And it will always stop at Topics 14,000 to 14,099. No error message.

What can I do?? I really need this conversion…

Thanks for your help!

Best

Maxime

lantaarntje
    Participant

@lantaarntje

Has any one succeeded in a good conversion? from PHPbb3 3.2.x to Bbpress – i’m following these threads for ages and made a dozen attempts to convert to BBpress from PHPbb3 3.2.x but each conversion stops with different bugs, loops, etc. I tried all the changed scripts file but they have also the same issues.

Hoping that the guys at BBpress will take a serious look at this script and help us pls!

Help us Obi Bbpress Kenobi you are our only hope

wurkagency
    Participant

@wurkagency

Hi Guys,

I’ve removed some checks and that works out here. Hope that you can use it:
    https://pastebin.com/Fmn9sHtu

lantaarntje
    Participant

@lantaarntje

Ok thanks ! at this moment i’m converting again ( attempt 213237218378237 ) if it fails i try your latest one.

wurkagency
    Participant

@wurkagency

You might as well stop it. It’ll fail in between, so take the latest version which works out. πŸ™‚

lantaarntje
    Participant

@lantaarntje

Yup your right after hours and hours it loops with the anonymous reply etc.
    I restarted the conversion with your script so we have to wait and see :).
    I’ll keep you posted.

ps: hopefully the peepz of BBpress will include a script that works πŸ˜‰

lantaarntje
    Participant

@lantaarntje

Also with your script it is looping

16.Converting anonymous reply authors (100 through 100 of 100)

:(:(

Any suggestions?

lantaarntje
    Participant

@lantaarntje

Can not skip this Step 16 – i don’t care for anonymous reply authors

lantaarntje
    Participant

@lantaarntje

Hi Wurkagency,

Any idea?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar