Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Constructive Criticism: bbPress’s kryptonite

• Why doesn’t bbPress incorporate email notifications? Isn’t that a no brainer, how else is a person notified of changes to their topic? RSS VS eMail, outcome, eMail wins–right? Not everyone is a techie type of person. They post their questions and if email is not setup they won’t ever know what the answer was?

vbulletin will always be tops if these issues are not dealt with, right?

I am an outsider please put down the stones :) I am just curious…

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Hahah… Well, the idea behind bbPress is not to install things like this within the core. This way forum administrators aren’t bogged down with the extra weight of a series of functions that they never intend to use; a less is more approach.

There is also a plug-in that provides this exact functionality in the extend area. ;)

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Sometime ago I used to think the same, bbpress is too light but when it comes to integrate with wordpress and after having tried another option like simple-forum, I prefer a light core.

Perhaps the problem is the lack of a codex where you can find out how to add things-> do you want email notification? add this plugin.

This should be my only concern so far along with some parts of the core that should be in the template folder. There is stuff in functions.bb-template.php and I recently found more in functions.bb-core.php .

Perhaps the problem is the lack of a codex where you can find out how to add things-> do you want email notification? add this plugin.

You know, that would be nice. If we could all (or maybe some more of us testers) could have codex access. The WP codex actually is editable by anyone. If BB’s was as well, we could all start helping improve documentation.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

How about http://bbpulp.org/

That was Sam’s project before going to work at Automattic.

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/list-of-hooksactions#post-22509

How about http://bbpulp.org/

Yes :) It would be very nice. I wonder why Matt didn’t send some resources to bbpress. Wp + bbpress + the buddypress thing… it would be the most powerful cms so far.

Instead, the core of wp is being loaded all the time with stuff that you need to block installing new plugins :s

I totally agree with the whole lightweight approach, but it seems as though creating a forum without:

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/subscribe-to-topic/

is like creating a car that is beautiful, sleek and fast, but forgetting to put the steering wheel in… Screwed up analogy, but you get the point.

Don’t get me wrong though I am still amazed at open source programs, and especially BB, Buddy and Word. Love um and thank everyone who has contributed!

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

That is a really poor analogy. This isn’t Slashdot, so we don’t really need another car analogy, but, here’s one I think is more applicable:

It’s like creating a car that is beautiful, sleek and fast, but deciding up front that things like tinted windows, remote start and stainless tips on the mufflers should be possible, but will be supplied by the aftermarket, not delivered with the new car.

famous, I agree with you. The vast majority of users have no idea how to use RSS. Email notification is absolutely essential. Do we really expect users to check a forum on daily basis for responses? It would be wonderful if they did, but reality says otherwise.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

It’s interesting to me when people say “absolutely essential” in regards to software.

http://www.37signals.com/svn/archives2/the_top_5_red_flags_of_software_development.php

The functionality is available in a plugin, it’s just not built into bbPress. bbPress’ philosophy is to leave stuff like that out of the core, and I’m glad for that. I don’t need it. If you do need it, install a plugin. Or, if you disagree with the philosophy, you’re free to install other forum software that more closely aligns with your needs.

Now, if we want to talk about the lack of documentation, telling you how to do all these things with bbPress, well, that’s a whole different story. I’ve heard before that there probably won’t be much documentation before version 1 is released.

I understand famous point of view because I was there too. I’m pretty sure that sooner or later it will be a plugin to give bbpress all mainstream forums features.

Another thing that I believe it is that sooner or later bbpress will have a wp plugin version or that it will be a plugin bridge to put it inside of wordpress.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Another thing that I believe it is that sooner or later bbpress will have a wp plugin version or that it will be a plugin bridge to put it inside of wordpress.

This will never happen because it’s physically impossible as the code is designed. Also the deep integration would use so many resources that a busy forum will get you kicked off of most shared hosts. bbPress 1.0 + WordPress 2.7 running at the same time with deep integration and several plugins is over 1 megabyte of code PER INSTANCE (per user visiting, per page load).

This is why I always say don’t deeply integrate.

However when WordPress eventually switches to the backpress core (think version 3.5 perhaps?) it will be easier to have them deeply integrated without so much excessive resource use.

This will never happen because it’s physically impossible as the code is designed.

Ok :) then the plugin will have to put wp inside bbpress but I still think that it will be a bbpress plugin.

I even could think in another solution; turning wp comment system into a forum. You only had to allow all members to post in the wp blog, make a custom category for them and a custom template for that category. There would be no front-page though.

BTW, _ck_, could you please tell us how did you add pagination to front-page latest posts in your bbpress showcase? :)

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar