Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Blank topic pages while using TwentyTwentyTwo theme.

• ankskv1
    Participant

@ankskv1

I am getting blank pages while opening topics and I am using TwentyTwentyTwo theme.
    I have used forum index short-code to show the forum on the page.

And the forum index page is showing index at very small size can I increase that without changing theme? (Any suggestions on this)

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

This is all part of WordPress’s mission to make it’s software totally unusable.

It has been reported to the bbpress authors.

Robin W

@robin-w

I kicked this around for some time, but I cannot see how to get bbpress working with a block theme.

I have raised a ticket on trac.

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3458

ankskv1
    Participant

@ankskv1

Thanks for that. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Robin W

@robin-w

I may have a fix – no promises, but give me a day or two to investigate

swarwas
    Participant

@swarwas

Any updates regarding this problem? Thanks!

Robin W

@robin-w

I should start by saying I am just a bbpress user who helps out here, I am not a bbpress author.

Twenty Twenty two is one of probably less than 6 themes that use the new ‘block theme’ way of building a theme. Indeed this is so new that the editor built to support it is still a ‘beta’ version.

My Personal view is that block themes are a solution to a problem that no-one has, and WordPress has lost it’s way.

But given that people including you will use this theme, I am trying to get bbpress to work with it.

I expect to release a new version of my bbpress style pack that will make this work in the next couple of days. I have a working prototype, albeit a basic version.

swarwas
    Participant

@swarwas

Hey Robin,

thanks for your feedback.

Well, I used the twenty twenty theme before and I wanted to add a forum to my homepage. I found bbpress and thought it would fit perfectly. Unfortunately, bbpress looked pretty “detached” from the rest of the homepage. Meaning, the style of the forum did not fit the rest of the homepage. I played around with CSS but the result was not very satisfying and took too long. That’s why I tried the new tttwo theme.

I am not a Web developer and I can’t judge whether the block theme approach is a good idea or not. I played around with it and it was relatively easy to tweak the design templates. So, it kind of worked for me (first impression).

Thanks for your work!

Robin W

@robin-w

I have updated my style pack to detect and let you use 2022.

bbp style pack

once activated go to

dashboard>settings>bbp style pack>theme support.

There are lots of settings in this plugin to let you improve the look of bbpress.

Steveorevo
    Participant

@steveorevo

Very nice work with the style pack Robin! I do have one issue with Mega Max menu compatibility. For whatever reason, it doesn’t look like shortcodes are being processed when style pack is activated (which is how MegaMax allows menus to be embedded).

Otherwise I’d recommend your style pack for bbPress users as this “simply works” to deliver the forum styling to Twenty Twenty Two without having to painfully apply one’s own CSS rules to make it marginally pretty.

For those willing to go that far, I found that simply adding a basic, default template page as described on WordPress.org will do the trick. Supposedly block editor doesn’t care for/use PHP template pages anymore so it’s otherwise ignored.

For simplicity, I just replace Twenty Twenty Two’s otherwise empty index.php with the “skinny” template index.php I created here:

https://gist.github.com/Steveorevo/96d8015bcf353221e1cf0cd6b89bb766

Robin W

@robin-w

@steveorevo – thanks for this

Steveorevo
    Participant

@steveorevo

Even simpler; add this one line to twenty twenty two’s index.php file; this will preserve the theme’s menus, header, etc. and tell WordPress to use 2022’s template engine:

include ABSPATH . WPINC . '/template-canvas.php';

Or, to prevent losing changes when/if 2022 updates; use this hook in your own functions/plugin/child:

add_filter( 'template_include', function( $template ) {
        if ( false !== strpos($template, 'twentytwentytwo/index.php') ) {
    		$template = ABSPATH . WPINC . '/template-canvas.php';
        }
        return $template;
    });

Robin W

@robin-w

@steveorevo – thanks for posting this, I’ll substitute it for my solution on next release of my style pack plugin – it is much better and cleaner 🙂

My step up, also install/update Gutenberg standalone plugin to the latest version and add this to your own plugin / theme functions.php

function envireit_bbp_register_forum_post_type( $args ) {
    	$args['show_in_rest'] = true;

return $args;
    }

add_filter( 'bbp_register_forum_post_type', 'envireit_bbp_register_forum_post_type' );

function envireit_bbp_register_topic_post_type( $args ) {

return $args;
    }

add_filter( 'bbp_register_topic_post_type', 'envireit_bbp_register_topic_post_type' );

function envireit_bbp_register_reply_post_type( $args ) {

return $args;
    }

add_filter( 'bbp_register_reply_post_type', 'envireit_bbp_register_reply_post_type' );

With this you will be able to build via site builder, your own forums, topics and replies page. Just replace the content loop with the article content block.

jyosree
    Participant

@jyosree

Hi everyone.
    I am also getting the same issue as and I am using TwentyTwentyTwo theme. Any suggestions on this

Thanks
    Peluche Animé

Robin W

@robin-w

This is one of the new FSE themes, so you need a fix to work with bbpress.
    install

bbp style pack

once activated, navigate to

dashboard>settings>bbp style pack, and you should see the first tab called ‘Theme Support’ – if you don’t see this, come back.

In that tab, select

Enable Theme Support

and save

rtgrdh
    Participant

@rtgrdh

Hi, I’m don’t seem to find the tab “Theme Support”

Robin W

@robin-w

can you confirm what theme you are using please

rtgrdh
    Participant

@rtgrdh

Using Astra as Theme

Robin W

@robin-w

With Astra releases above 4.0.2 this is not needed and you will not see the theme support tab – what exactly is your issue? ie wehat are you seeing/not seeing?

rtgrdh
    Participant

@rtgrdh

Running Atra 4.1.2. I had the issue with Bbpress forum search gets stuck using Astra theme.

I came across your code in another thread and implemented it into functions.php and the issue stopped, although I wanted to use the plugin instead.

I was actually running the non-latest version of Astra, and it seems like the issue resolved itself after updating the theme to 4.1.2.

Robin W

@robin-w

yes the issue was fixed by Astra in 4.1.2 after I raised it with them.

I just looked and there was an interim version they released which didn’t have the fix, but which my code did not pick up on, so that was the one you were on – apologies, I should have thought of that, but it was only live for a very short period.

Anyway glad you are fixed.

rtgrdh
    Participant

@rtgrdh

Thanks for the explanation and the fast replies.

Your bbp style pack plugin is awesome btw!

Robin W

@robin-w

hey thanks, really pleased you find it useful 🙂

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar