Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress url to subdomain

• vpontin
    Participant

@vpontin

Hi all!

After some search here on support forum and in bbpress itself (v2.5.7, wordpress 4.2.1), i dont find anything about this (only Multsite-related, which isn’t my case).

My question is: Is possible to bbpress use forums.example.org instead of example.org/forums ? I want to setup a small website consisting of a forum and a portal (blog), and i want to know if this is possible.

Thank you in advance

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• thierryyyyyyy
    Participant

@thierryyyyyyy

I’m also interested.

I actually don’t need the wordpress blog at all, I would prefere to have a separate installation for my forum… and then, I don’t want to have a “/forum” in the URL.

I tried to put my “bbpress.php” template as the “index.php” template in the theme : stupid idea !
    I got the blog posts inside the forum template (as actually one might expect…)

I also tried to configure the “forum root” parameter (the folder name) as “”. did not work (Yeah, I also doubted, but I had to try)

it should exists something linked with permalinks to do such a thing, isn’t ?

Robkk

@robkk

I think you would have to use Multi-site , there are parts of the multisite installation to include either sub-directories or sub-domains.

And you do not have to use WordPress for a blog , you can just use it instead as a CMS.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

thierryyyyyyy
    Participant

@thierryyyyyyy

I already have such a WordPress Network.
    I use “multi-domain” to link different domains …

I interprete your “use WordPress as CMS not as blog” as : use “show static page” instead of “show last posts” in “customization”…
    So I should put the bbPress root template as this static page. and fix the root folder as “” ?
    that what you suggest ?
    (I’m fighting to test it, I did not succeed yet but for stupid DNS problems…)

Thank you

Robkk

@robkk

I interprete your “use WordPress as CMS not as blog” as : use “show static page” instead of “show last posts” in “customization”…

CMS is an acronym content management system, and what I mean is instead of using WordPress for creating blog posts you can just use to manage your forums, users, etc.

So I should put the bbPress root template as this static page. and fix the root folder as “” ?
    that what you suggest ?

You could use the forum index shortcode [bbp-forum-index] or [bbp-topic-index] and place this in a page and make that your front page if that is what you want.

Or create a custom homepage template to use like this site has.

Read this for information about that. Creating Page Templates

bbPress

I don’t want to have a “/forum” in the URL.

As for removing that I dont think you can , you can remove /forums though in settings > forums.

You can rename /forum to whatever you want though.

thierryyyyyyy
    Participant

@thierryyyyyyy

that’s it !

1. customizing the presentation to show static a page instead as last posts allows to use “page templates”
    2. “page templates” allow to customize the static page as a forum front page
    3. setting “root folder” =”” is OK for shorting all other pages. I tried so far : topic, forum, user profile, topic-tag. Actually, unchecking the check-box “Prefix all forum content with the Forum Root slug (Recommended)” is probably better…

so the only detail I see is that I get a unneeded “forums” in the breadcrumb. But I will change the according function, perhaps with a plugin. I will see, that’s a different topic

Robkk

@robkk

This custom function should remove the “forums” in the breadcrumbs.

Put it in your child theme functions.php or a functionality plugin to place custom code snippets.

function rkk_custom_bbpbreadcrumbs() {
        // Remove Forum root from bbPress breadcrumbs
        $args['include_root']    = false;
        return $args;
    }

add_filter('bbp_before_get_breadcrumb_parse_args', 'rkk_custom_bbpbreadcrumbs');

thierryyyyyyy
    Participant

@thierryyyyyyy

wouaho ! I did not expect so much help !
    thank you tousands times !

it really really rocks !

Rojgarseva
    Participant

@rojgarseva

Hi,

I just wanted to get some constructive feedback on the site that I am currently working on:

http://www.rojgarseva.in

zuxxac
    Participant

@zuxxac

thanks too. You helped!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar