Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BBPress Polls for 1.02 or other polls working?

• Has anyone got BBPress Polls working perfectly with version 1.02?

I tried it a few months back, and didnt turn out good.

Is there any other poll plugins that works?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • What sort of bugs are you seeing when you install it on 1.02?

Didnt work to vote. It’s a bit vague right now, deleted it ages ago, but I tried everything and it did not work.

Please reinstall it and post a detailed bug report – we may be able to figure out the issue for you. It also may be a conflict with another plugin, which you could resolve by deactivating that other plugin (or finding an alternative).

jackey
    Participant

@jackey

I have also issues with BBPress Polls. The plugin activates, and shows in the interface, but does not react. Re-installes several times. But no results.

Tried to alter the settings, and it wiped out all settings of my iBlogPro Forum Theme.

This behavior is reproducible (and a real pain).

FYI I’m a newby to bbPress…

Any advice welcome.

buddha-trance

@buddha-trance

I just installed and tried the plugin on my local test forum (1.0.2) and it works just fine.

Select to show the poll on new topic, first fill out the poll questions, then write your post and submit. The poll appears automatically when the topic is started (no need for a “save” button under the poll creation field).

Guests can read the poll (if so selected), but not vote. Only members.

I tried both with ajax enabled or disabled. And single vote or test mode with multiple votes. The issues could be a plugin conflict.

Alright, I’ll give it another try this weekend. Just need to finish up some schoolwork first.

jackey
    Participant

@jackey

Tried re-installing it after an update to iBlogForum 1.02.

But still the same. When I click to add a poll, nothing happens.

When I try to alter the Polls’ configuration or reset it to default, it wipes my iBlogForum configuration.

Another strange behaviour that I do not know if it is related… everywhere were I enter quotes, bbPress changes this to ‘ time over time so after a few edits you end up with \\\\\’

buddha-trance

@buddha-trance

@jackey – maybe the problem is theme related. Did you try to activate the default Kakumei theme and see if bbPolls behave normally? This would help pin down the problem.

I think that was some of my problem, it didnt work untill you clicked on the forum category and used the button in there. But when trying to create polls on the frontpage it didnt work. Not sure, coming back to this soon.

jackey
    Participant

@jackey

@buddha trance – I suspect is is theme related but it is infectueus. The other themes, even the backend seems to be infected with the \\\

It must be something tot that obvious… I suspect it all started when I installed the iBlogPro Forum that demanded ‘deep’ integration with WP.

Checked out the demo forum of ‘iBlogPro Forum’ and noticed it suffered the same problem with the backslashes.

Re-installing bbPress made no difference.

buddha-trance

@buddha-trance

@jackey, since you deep integrated, the slashes problem could originate from WP, as a “magic quotes” issue

http://bestservedcold.com/news/bbpress-and-wordpress-magic-quotes/

http://thedeadone.net/forum/?p=1211

jackey
    Participant

@jackey

You’re probably right, and it is all related as well. Andrew Powers reported me he fixed things in his “iBlogPro Forum” theme. I’m waiting for his update.

Thanks for the help! Will report back.

Later…

ya my fault :)

not used to the way BBPress saves options yet.. haha

jackey
    Participant

@jackey

O.K. Andrew fixed things for the iBlogProForum, but the backslashed where still popping up in the backend. Andrew then suggested to change the PHP setting magic_quotes_gpc to on . And this worked for most of the backend. (Strangly enough for all plugins, but not the “signature” plugin, this one went from \\’ to just one ‘.)

However I stumbled over a warning of PHP.net.

“/This feature has been /DEPRECATED/ as of PHP 5.3.0 and /REMOVED/ as of PHP 6.0.0. Relying on this feature is highly discouraged./”

So I’m afraid this is a temporary fix.

For now I’m content. And running a fully integrated forum at: http://golfclub-stippelberg.nl/forums/ ;-)

Thanks!

buddha-trance

@buddha-trance

@jackey – You could also try what is suggested in one of the links I posted above, to see if it works for you:

“To get round this, go to around line 388 in “wp-settings.php” file and hash out $_POST = add_magic_quotes($_POST); and hey presto!”

In this current version, I have it on line 590. To comment out:

//$_POST = add_magic_quotes($_POST );

jackey
    Participant

@jackey

O.K. that works equally well, and less intrusive… Thanks.

I stopped programming about 30 years ago, but is this kind of patching common practice?

I suspect that this patch will haunt back on me one day.

Don’t misunderstand… I’m happy with the fix, but isn’t there something wrong in the core?

And functions with “magic” in their name give me the creeps. ;-)

Thanks again!

buddha-trance

@buddha-trance

@ jackey – The patch will haunt you back the day you upgrade WP, because you have to remember to apply the change again on the new, overwritten, wp-settings.php file… :-)

If the fix to comment out that line provides a solution, I don’t know why that function is in the core in the first place. There must be a good reason, I am not a programmer…

I have just installed it, and here is the problem:

When you decide to create a poll during topic creation, there is no save button. Only a a Cancel button. And when you type in question and alternatives, and click Send in the postform, it doesnt include the poll at all.

It only works when you go into the topic when its created, and add a poll afterwards.

johnhiler

@johnhiler

Marius- That’s an option in the admin: “Ask for poll during new topic creation? (requires AJAX on)”.

Set that to yes, and also this one: “Use AJAX-like actions if javascript enabled?”… and it should work! :-)

Both are turned on, and it doesnt work.

The script is there, you can create the poll during topic creation, but it doesnt work. It doesnt get included.

There is only a Cancel-button.

johnhiler

@johnhiler

Post a link to your site? I’d like to run some quick tests…

Alright, I will activate it for you now, if you can do it within the next hours.

http://www.michaeljackson.no/forum

Its on topic creation now, so you will have to register to try it.

Alright closing it again now. Im going off to bed, and users are gonna be on early tomorrow morning, so I cant have them freak out with an unfinished plugin.

Maybe we could time this better tomorrow

johnhiler

@johnhiler

I just came back to check it out, but looks like you turned off the poll feature.

Oh well, good luck!

Marius-

@marius-

I got like thirty users who are all twelve year olds, it would have been a mess, sorry. I can turn it on again tonight, when they have all gone to bed :P

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Marius mate,

Testing these things on a local/development enviroment first is really going to help you. bbPress plugins sometimes require quite a bit of web-dev knowledge, and being able to work out all the hic-ups on your own machine before letting your users see it will make your life alot easier :)

By the looks of it, yourself and JohnHiller could be on different timezones, I’m on all day fixing the last few bugs in the bbProgress admin section, so shout if it goes back up and we’ll try and help.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar