Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress Android\iOs app

• NewCo
    Participant

@newco

Hi does anybody have opensource or github Android\iOs app for full functionality of BBpress forum? as well as Push Notifictions may be working via XML-RPC?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

ive found this https://wp-push.com/extension/pushover-notifications-for-bbpress/ its a good 16 bucks in US.

it says it sends notifications to your phone if you have the pushover app (also paid $5 maybe??)

if you want to create an app out of your WordPress/bbPress site i think this service would work apppresser.com/

there might be other ways too , maybe hooking into the official WordPress app but im not sure, this might need some custom development and you would need to hire a developer.

NewCo
    Participant

@newco

thx for the answer. I have an idea:

Is it possible to modify – https://github.com/wordpress-mobile/WordPress-Android and make some changes like add a FORUM button? and create a functional using XML-RPC for BBPress…

if yes here s some questions:

Does the BBPRESS – SEARCH available from XML-RPC?

ANYBODY want to spend 1-2 days to make that stuff, may be open source?

Robkk

@robkk

test this out cause im not entirely sure , but install jetpack if you havent already on your site and download the WordPress app from Google Play and connect your self hosted WordPress site to the app.

can you see any settings for bbPress in the app dashboard?? like settings>forums??

just so you know this only allows you to manage your site from the dashboard in the app, nothing frontend. If you want a custom app i highly recommend Apppressor.

if you feel like you need to hire a developer go to http://jobs.wordpress.net/ or any other freelance website for custom development.

NewCo
    Participant

@newco

like I understood Appressor and ReactOS is the same company, and they provided me with that answer:

“We presently do not have any sort of bbPress support built into Reactor, but I can put it down as a feature request. Do note that I can’t guarantee that it’ll be implemented, and if it is, I can’t give an estimate for how soon.”

So does it mean that I need a hire a developer ONLY for my purpose?

ps: I installed a JetPack and didn’t see anything new into settings-forum as well

Robkk

@robkk

hmm i thought they would have bbPress support since they have the sister project BuddyPress supported shown on there site, well at least they could implement it in the future though.

and well you could use a normal web browser/WordPress app in view site and go to the regular WordPress dashboard on your site and edit the bbPress settings that way.

like i said you can receive push notifications to your phone with pushover and the plugin mentioned above or hell you can use IFTTT and bbPress’s RSS feeds for its custom post types too.

with the search from XML-RPC i think you would need some custom development

you can go to http://jobs.wordpress.net/ or any other freelance websites.

if you do get this all set up like you want , can you please post a topic in Pimp your press cause i would like to check out the results.

NewCo
    Participant

@newco

Yeah I’ll try, but the main goal is to NOT just manage this app. But create this app for all future clients of this forum to use this forum from the Android app. If it’ll be creating for open source I’ll be happy to create a technical task and be a project manager to connect people all togher, but right at first I’ll try jobs.wordpress site

Robkk

@robkk

the main goal is to NOT just manage this app ,but create this app for all future clients of this forum to use this forum from the Android app. If it’ll be creating for open source I’ll be happy to create a technical task and be a project manager to connect people all together.

i like that you said this . you should list the features you would like to see in this app so maybe other developers can maybe help out with making this idea a reality in the future.

or i can tell you some alternatives to the features to make a app-like website than an actual app.

NewCo
    Participant

@newco

Actually I think my mind generated an Idea)

1) Mobile app which is loading a mobile version of bbPress
    1.1 It should be not ZOOM in when I push to post a topic\message answer
    1.2 Keyboard should be like a bottom-tasbar in windows) when pusing at “typing area”
    2) https://wp-push.com/extension/pushover-notifications-for-bbpress/ not sure is it possible to word with another app rather that PushOver….

Robkk

@robkk

these features you listed from what i can tell aren’t that bad im sure a developer at jobs.wordpress.net could develop this

1. there is already a mobile device layout created from the bbPress stylesheet , but its not that great but it does the job. You can improve the layout with bbPress but that requires a lot of modifying bbpress templates in your child theme.

1.1 It should be not ZOOM in when I push to post a topic\message answer

please explain this so i can know if its a bug or not

NewCo
    Participant

@newco

By ZOOM I meant when I loading a Mobile Version of the BBpress site via WEBview option of Android App… and want to type something its zooming in)

One technical question:

BBpress have structure:

Forums AND Posts

is it like

Posts (in wordpress) and Comments (in wordpress)

Robkk

@robkk

@newco

oh ok the zoom is probably just the app or maybe even some phone animations.

and bbPress has custom post types forums, topics, and replies

custom post types are just like regular WordPress Posts

bbPress doesnt use WordPress comments , the replies are just like regular posts

NewCo
    Participant

@newco

Ok thx for the answers.

Is it possible do detect in some ways that user subscribe only for particular “Forum” to receive ONLY noyifications (mail) for those “answers” …? Which function does it?

As well is it posiible to make Search widget available at ANY page? A looks it like forum search results (after searching something) or its just a regular search of WordPress?

Robkk

@robkk

As well is it possible to make Search widget available at ANY page? A looks it like forum search results (after searching something) or its just a regular search of WordPress?

the search widget should be able to handle being on different pages as long as you have it in your sidebar.

do you have an issue with it not being on some pages??

and the bbPress forum search that displays on the forum archive and also the search widget should only show results of bbPress related topics/replies/forums based on what you searched.

you can let the regular WordPress search show results of bbPress related topics/replies/forums if you follow this topic in the link.

Plugin, snippet, hack to include bbpress topics in wordpress search

Is it possible do detect in some ways that user subscribe only for particular “Forum” to receive ONLY noyifications (mail) for those “answers” …? Which function does it?

i havent found a plugin that could do this , so this might be some custom development so you might need to post another job in jobs.wordpress.net

davidaliasmichael
    Participant

@davidaliasmichael

I too working on my phone, If i type something, letters will be very tiny size. The Letters not showing zoom in. We are delivered a mobile application at worldwide. If you need any development, Plz click the link https://mobiwebreviews.com/product/mobile-development-agency-185/

jezza101
    Participant

@jezza101

For what it’s worth I have started on a bbPress app.

It’s a personal project and one that I want to do to hone my Android development skills (I am a professional developer, but have no Java experience!!). It’s something I will continue with regardless of other commercial implementations.

The idea is that you can add any number of bbPress sites, once the WP REST API is in core you won’t need any additional plugins for it to work. I’d also like to make it easy for others to produce a custom / branded app that works for their own site only.

You can find out more here:

WordPress JSON Rest API bbPress and Android

I will host on GitHub once I have some basics in place.

This will be Android only, cos hey, nice for Android to have exclusives for a change ;). I’m sure someone will do an iOS one someday…

Did you know bbPress has had a JSON API available for ~2 years?

Well, not quite, if you use Jetpack and enable the WordPress.com JSON API:
    Custom post type and metadata support in the REST API

Because we love bbPress, we’ve bundled in support for bbPress and the REST API directly into Jetpack, so that you can read, write and edit bbPress forums, topics and replies right out of the box. You can also use this file as an example on how to bundle support in your own plugins or themes.

Anyways, as you state in your post you’ve seen the work Brent has done, once I get some time and a few other interested parties we’d like to look at incorporating this into bbPress core 🙂

palmdoc
    Participant

@palmdoc

Hey @jezza101 – any updates on your Android app for bbPress?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar