Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Basic integration screencast

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

DLing it now, very cool of you to do this….

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

>> bbPress installed in a sub-directory of WordPress

That’s almost cheating, it’s too easy ;-)

You should do it off a different directory from the webroot.

But good idea in general, someone did this awhile back with 0.8 (and then stuffed a bunch of ads in it).

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Well, the best little part about installing bbPress in a sub directory, is that in WordPress if you’re using the pretty permalinks and make a “Forums” page, the slug will be “forums” and when clicked it will just route the users right to the forums instead of to the WP page. :)

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Not unless you hack things to remove the /forum/ and /topic/ paths which is not recommended.

I must be missing something, since I already have that working, and I have them in their own directories off the root.

domain.net points to my blog (with posts as yyyy/mm/dd/slug) and domain.net/forums goes right to the forums, no problems.

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

UPDATE: Added embedded version in original post.

theburningbiscuit

@theburningbiscuit

I followed all the steps and did ‘Complete the Installation’ and it said everything was correct but then said the forum failed to be created. When I try and go to the forum it will load for a little while and then say Firefox can tell that this process won’t end. I tried taking everything off my server and retrying it and I’m following the instructions again and now I can’t get past Step 1. When I try and click to go to Step 2, I get the same page from before saying Firefox can tell that this process won’t end, or something to that effect. Any idea of what the issue could be?

I’m using WordPress 2.7 and the newest Alpha build of bbPress.

theburningbiscuit

@theburningbiscuit

Ok, I went into my phpAdmin (GoDaddy) and deleted all the tables involving bbPress, which allowed me to redo the installation. But now, it won’t connect the tables. When I go through Step 2 and fill in all the information and then go on to Step 3, it tells me I skipped Step 2.

Integration doesn’t seem to be working for me. I followed the screencast, but for some reason when I sign into my WP it signs me OUT of my bbPress. And vice-versa. And I can’t use my Key Master account to sign-in to WP admin.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@biscut

Delete ALL tables in the database that start with your bb_ prefix, and try again.

@bryan

I can assure you that following Sam’s video PERFECTLY yields perfect results. I’ve done it at least 10 times. Can you rewatch the video and take notes on what in your particular case may be different? Like directory location, server settings, unique WordPress plugins or setup, anything like that?

I joined your forum, but then realized that your WordPress login page isn’t the traditional wp-login.php. I get redirected when I try to access it. Also, same goes for your admin area. It looks like you’ve got WP logins pretty well hidden from view. Care to let me in?

@bryan868 – the other thing to do is re-replace all your AUTH/SECURE etc keys in BBpress with the ones from WP. ALL of them. Every last one. Then purge your cookies and log back in.

@johnjamesjacoby – it’s just in a subfolder :) http://www.amfproductions.com/a/wp-login.php

Yeah, would that sub-folder have anything to do with it?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@bryan

It appears to me like you didn’t integrate your user registrations or user accounts. I can login to the forums, but cannot login to WordPress. Can you check out your database and make sure you only have wp_user and wp_usermeta user tables, and do not have any that start with bb_?

Nah, I have it in a subfolder.

If johnjamesjacoby is right and you didn’t integrate your user tables but you ARE trying to share cookies, then you would have exactly this problem.

My bb_users and wp_users are in two different databases. I filled out the advanced settings in bbPress for that however, so I’m not sure why it wouldn’t be working.

Just checked, both tables still exist in their respective databases.

OK, I can sign-in to BB with my WP admin account, but now none of my BB accounts work.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@bryan

Honestly, at this stage I would recommend deleting the bbPress files and database tables, and starting over. It’s so much easier to install correctly the first time than it is to track down installation errors and try to patch them. This is of course if there isn’t a whole lot of data to lose.

Yeah, there’s years of posts I would lose and forum users.

Is this integration NOT meant to be done with a existing install of bbPress? Is it the intended behavior for it to use the WP user tables and ignore the BB user tables?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Exactly. Theres no real way to merge the two user tables together automatically or to have them both exist simultaniously and still allow a unified login.

thewebdev87

@thewebdev87

Ok so, I followed this tutorial exactly but, still received an error when installing my bbpress. Here is a screenie of what the error looks like. http://www.premdesigns.com/error.jpg It seems to be the exact same error as biscuit had. I’ve tried to install by following the video each time. Each time I start with a new database and I seem to get the same error every time. Did anyone have a fix to this problem?

@johnjamesjacoby

Well that explains it all!

Someone call me when the integration works both ways! Heh

i’m new to wp, but so close to getting this login/out nailed with mu 2.6.5 and bb 1.0.4

everything integrates fine, all combinations apart from logging in to mu and trying to logout of bb doesn’t work and vice versa (which also keeps the user logged into bb)

i’ve followed the guides to a tee, with 7 keys in both configs (bb keys preceded with bb_)

unique to wp_config is standard settings for define cookie_domain, cookiepath, sitecookiepath, cookiehash, secret_key and secret_salt

have tried some of these also in bb_config but doesn’t seem to make a great deal of difference

any help would be hugely appreciated

hotforwords

@hotforwords

I started out with my bbpress database being different from the wordpress database, but sharing the same wp_users.

But I seem to be having problems where new users on WordPress have no role in BBpress… and I get an error when trying to change their role: function.array-key-exists (same error as here.)

Is there an easy way to merge the bbpress database with wordpress since they use the same user list anyway? That way I can have the same setup you suggest in this video?

Hey man.. That s a cool job..

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • The topic ‘Basic integration screencast’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar